Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

So it really did have that refresh rate in real life? :fearful:

That first gen microprocessors for you.

Yes, I believe so. I think they are just modeling what it really was.

2 Likes

Yes/No.

As pointed out, this was a first Generation HUD, only the second (I believe) in US service after the A-7ā€™s. The way it works in real life is each data block updates at a different rate based off how computationally intensive it is to compute it. Easy things like altitude and heading update the quickest, followed by the pitch ladder, followed by the FPM. The exceptions are the target diamond and gun pipper, which are rendered independently on a separate raster. Heatblur have readily admitted these functionalities arenā€™t in game yet, and theyā€™ve said theyā€™re going to do some of their patented Viggen Hud MagicTM to purty/soften it up.

Compare @BeachAV8Rā€™s video, which is shot in Take Off mode (which shows heading, pitch ladder, FPM, radar alt (Right Tape) and vertical velocity (Left Tape)) with this one shot in A/A mode (Target Diamond, Gun Cross & Pipper, Range & Weapon DLZ (Right Tape) & Closure (Left Tape), Weapon Type / # Remaining and a simple roll indicator)

5 Likes

Third. First was the A-5 Vigilante.

2 Likes

I had no idea the Vigilante had a HUD. Thatā€™s fascinating. Do you have a link to what it looked like?

I read it in a book that was in my school library when I was in I think the 5th gradeā€¦ Iā€™d have to really, really hunt to find it again. Though I seem to remember it also being modeled (though I donā€™t know how accurate it was) in the SF2 version.

Iā€™ll see what I can find.

2 Likes

Google isnā€™t helping. This is the best image of a Vigilante cockpit I could find, and itā€™s pretty HUD-less.

iiWiki shows that the Layartebian Super Vigilante had a HUD which was ā€œcopied out of the F-18 Hornetā€. Confused? Read some other articles on that site and you will question reality.

3 Likes

Gamer!
Okā€¦ I wouldnā€™t hate an option like that, either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lets not forget that the aircraft was fielded in 1974. Lets think for a minute about a 1974 carā€¦ Now lets think about a 1974 computerā€¦ PCā€™s were still a decade or more away from most homes and people had not heard of cell phones. In U.S.1974 most rural homes had a dirt road and some had an outhouse aka latrine.
In that context the HUD on the Tomcat was probably viewed as state of the art. It was Pure Magic. Engineers probably danced and sang as pilots ooohed and Ahhhed at this marvelous tech. Much the same way you marveled at your first cell phone.
Now for reality. I would like a ā€œunrealisticā€ smooth HUD. However, I also love the Fishbed with it ā€œdumbā€ radar and analog systems.
Im sure any way we get the '14 we will all love it.

4 Likes

The intake is actually quite interesting, because it has been placed so far back it has a sufficient airflow at slower speeds and higher AOAā€™s, the nose deflects part of the airstream down into the cockpit

/techstuff :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been scratching my head over that since yesterday as well. What game is this from???

For those not familiar with IIWiki, IIWiki is a rather new wiki dedicated to storing national information and facts about the in-character creations of posters from the NS Diplomacy forums.

We flew through his jet washā€¦

1 Like

I say no to the smooth HUD.
Let the Tomcat fanboys choke on their damn jet they perceive as better than everything else.
Iā€™ll laugh into their crying faces when I shoot them down flying the Hornet.

Realistic doesnā€™t mean cherry picking. Let the Me262 guys have their unreliable engines too while we are at it.

3 Likes

Easy there Tiger.

1. Thereā€™s no need for perceptions when weā€™re dealing with fact. :smile:
  2. The HUD doesnā€™t need to be a wonder of SA and fanciful design: thereā€™s a whole separate person in the back seat whoā€™s sole job is to feed you the relevant information.

That assumes you can catch me when Iā€™m loitering just out of eyesight of the boat, and thus in excess of your maximum range.

5 Likes

4 Likes

The whole RIO topic will be very funny as well!
Either the AI will be good so everyone complains, or the AI will be bad and everyone complains.
Especially online.
I am SO looking forward to that.

Edit: also whatā€™s the point of loitering? You are hardly a threat that way. ATTACK!! :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m very curious too, especially since nothing like this has been tried in DCS before.

Implying the parentage of the enemy air wing consists entirely of rodentia on one side, and elderberry perfumed scoundrels on the other.

1 Like

Just the first time, or also a second time?

1 Like