MacRobertson Air Race (2019)

Oh… But then I don’t understand… She has the PROPER wings :slight_smile: :wink:

1 Like

I was! Didn’t know I was that fast, LOL. The IAS never exceeded 150 except for some descending… Maybe it was when I was crossing the Strait? It was cloudy and I was descending to check the land. Luckily, there were a few long range NDB, and flying along the coastal line was not that difficult :smile: Have to stay put at Karachi for a few days now. See you around the town :smile:

1 Like

@PaulRix nailed it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Spitfire IIa | Simon Keightley | Flickr
Proper wings :wink:

1 Like

We got a heretic over here!

3 Likes

Just wait until Airbus puts winglets on it…

5 Likes

X-Plane 11 Update to 11.33r1: link

Should I update or wait? Do the Plugins/Addons usually break?

EDIT: Release Notes: link

What altitude were you cruising at? Your IAS was probably showing lower than your true airspeed because of altitude.

this might be interesting to some - PauseForMe
You start your flight, set certain criteria (time, longitude/latitude, distance, etc) for the flight to pause, go do your other stuff, come back to continue.

not too high. top 7000 ft or so in this leg.

That’s about right then.

A rough calculation is 2% per 1000ft, so your TAS was 14% faster than your IAS.

2 Likes

What a crazy flight from VIJO Jodhpur to VIGR Gwalior !

I managed to find the airport eventually in the soup. As already mentioned ’ Better being lucky than good ’ :wink: Full report later.

5 Likes

There’s a cyclone hitting India’s east coast at the minute, it might be time to batten down the hatches. :dash:

Good luck!

3 Likes

Ahh, OK. I never truly understood the difference between TAS and IAS. Had confused pressure with speed, I guess. I suppose same TAS at different attitudes (different pressures) would produce different lift, while IAS is lower than true TAS with higher attitude/ lower pressure. Thanks!

An interesting way to look at is that your IAS is really a measure of drag that has been converted into knots. We all know that something with less drag is faster and more efficient, and we get less drag by being in thinner air. So if we climb our “drag gauge” goes down, while our actual speed goes up.

5 Likes

Whoa…yeah stay safe!

1 Like

Seletar, Singapore (WSSL) to Jakarta (WIII)

Time to continue South to Jakarta…

It’s a beautiful clear day here in Singapore. Lined up and ready to roll at Seletar Airport.

A right hand turnout to a 160° heading with the city in the background.

The Singkep NDB, the first waypoint on this leg, comes in. So far, so good!

Before we get to the NDB, a big event - we cross the Equator! Nothing much to see though unfortunately.

The clouds broke a little as I flew over Palembang City, South Sumatra…

Bandar Lampung, on the Southern tip of Sumartra…

And in the distance, the infamous Krakatoa.

A closer look at Krakatoa. The center island is an active caldera (Son of Krakatoa)… The tall peak is, I believe, what is left of the original volcano that explosively erupted in 1883, claiming over 40000 lives. The next part of the trek is going to feature many volcanoes as we skirt along the so called Ring of Fire.

From Krakatoa, we head directly East towards Java. The weather looks like it is deteriorating.

After crossing into Java, it was just a short time before Jakarta International Airport came into sight…

8 Likes

Pushing on… Jakarta International (WIII) - Selaprang Airport (WADA)…

A cloudy, hazy morning at Jakarta…

The weather starts to break up just a little farther East though. Here we are still climbing out over city.

Mount Cereme ,a large Volcano ahead, and the Cirebon NDB straight ahead. Mt Cereme is a little over 10000ft tall and last erupted in 1951.

A closer look at Mt Cereme…

The next volcano on our route is Mount Slamet, which is a little taller than Cereme and last erupted in 2014.

Mt Sundoro, and Mt Sumbing.

Madiun/Iswahyudi airport (WARI) off to the South…

With more cloud cover ahead, I decided to skirt around to the South of Mount Kawi and Mount Semeru. Semeru is over 12000 ft high. As the clouds thickened, I thought it prudent to climb above the layer so that I could see any terrain… I think that was a smart move…

After another period of IMC, I eventually broke out over Bali. Off to the South we can see the Bali International Airport (WADD)

The highest peak on Bali, Mount Angung

Looking ahead, our destination for this leg, the island of Lombok, with the imposing, 12224ft high Mount Rinjani

Selaparang Airport in sight, just to the North of Mataram.

I was pretty high, so I dirtied up and throttled back. Y’all know how to clear your ears right? :wink:

Short final…

Shut down on the rather empty ramp. My FO is now incesently complaining that we should have stopped at Bali! LOL.

Don’t worry about me getting so far ahead of the pack right now. I’m trying to knock out as much distance as I can, but starting next week, I will be tied up with real flying and school until almost the end of the month… I’ll probably still come in last! :wink: .

9 Likes

PH-AJU. That looks mildly funny to my Dutch eyes. Aju means something like Bye! in Dutch. It’s a bit of an archaic thing to say, people did that in the 50s. It’s a dutchification of the French “adieu”. Often said as [ah yuus] (uu as in unification)

Is that the historical code for Uiver? Because if it is, they meant “eat my dust” with it :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s funny… and yes, that was the correct registration…

5 Likes

It seems I’m on a roll today… Selaprang (WADA) - Darwin (YPDN).

Climbing out from Selaprang Airport.

Off to our right, we can see the larger Lombok International Airport (WADL)

Mount Tambora out in the distance.

It’s a big Ocean… somewhere on the crossing to Darwin.

Land Ho!

And amazingly, after a 2H45 ocean crossing, we make landfall pretty much at the expected point. Darwin is on the nose!

Airport in sight, nicely lined up for runway 11.

Once again, I’m a little high, but nothing that can’t be fixed.

Short final

Safely down and parked on the ramp. Time for a cold one!

11 Likes