MAD AAR - pics, tales of adventure and lessons learned!

So can you unload an aircraft part into Pullman and let me see if I see it on my end? If that were the case…as you said, I can build the plane and transfer it to the VA side of the house.

Destiny is all the way down in Houston looking for Fokker 50 parts. She found an engine in Dallas. These parts are expensive though!

Have you figured out a way to anticipate where parts might be? I can see my ‘historical’ list in the Factories → Parts Finder but it only shows places that I have been. I have been touring down the west coast (well, Andrea has) and along the south and the past 6 airports that I have visited have not had any parts. It is a little frustrating trying to find that last piece :slight_smile:

Oh. And I can not find a way so share a part with anyone. I can only transfer it between my bases or sell it. I can’t find a way to share it with someone who might have a construction facility.

No - I sure haven’t. But we should start a list in a thread! :bulb:

I’ve found that obviously the major airports tend to have more extensive inventories: KBFI, KPDX, KSFO, KPDX - but sometimes the regional “secondary” airports will, and sometimes they won’t. I’d be happy to go back through my finance ledger and write down all the places I found parts at. I think the parts inventory will not be the same as it is for you, but I’ll bet the airports will still have parts. I’ve visited many airports that had no parts economy at all despite them being fairly large.

I wonder if you put it in a base inventory at a base where both of us have a storage facility if we can see it. The reason I’m wondering that is that I see loads for the VA that I did not place in Pullman (I think they are long expired now). Maybe it only makes “job” loads available for others to see though. If you happen to go to Pullman/Moscow, check the base there when you are at the aircraft loading screen and see if you say a list of Kodiak parts (I’m still waiting on finding that dang Kodiak fuselage!!).

Meanwhile, the Fokker 50 parts hunt is going well…but holy cow it is expensive to fund. I’m making Destiny haul commodities to try to offset some of it, but this plane is gonna cost me big time.

Found a fuselage in New Orleans…

AH-0590

After that last expensive stop in New Orleans…I only have $17,000 in the bank…(technically). Down from over $1 million a week or so ago. Of course, Destiny’s load on the way to to Mobile, Alabama is worth probably $350K…so we are only showing a paper bankruptcy for now. If she finds another Fokker 50 part I might have to sell the Husky to fund it unless she can rapidly make some profitable commodity runs.

Should we put the list of commodity airports in the Mudspike Air Delivery FAQ (and maybe make that a Wiki that people can edit?)…?

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/air-hauler-2-and-mudspike-air-delivery-faq/10460/5

On the way back over to Pullman. Putting all the birds back at home base, transferring some to the VA, and going to spend some time running trips into the Idaho backcountry for the VA…

2 Likes

Crossing over Pangborne…where it all started in a tiny A-1C Husky!

2 Likes

After the great Fokker Parts Roundup of 2020…we had a V shaped recovery…! Whew…! Thanks Destiny…! :beers:

1 Like

For those of you that might be going out on your own Parts Scavenger Hunt…the central west area is a dead zone of not much in the way of aircraft parts availability. Yes, there are some spots that have some, but the distances between and the frustrations of you or your AI flying so far to come up empty makes this region pretty unsatisfactory. You are probably better off just plying the West Coast, or sending your AI all the way over to the Northeast (Boston to Richmond) since the density of airports with parts availability is much higher.

2 Likes

I’d extend that another width to the east. I’ve (well, Andrea, my AI pilot tasked to go where I ask) gone up and down there and it is pretty unsatisfying for parts. I went down the west coast, across Arizona, up through Utah and Wyoming, down through Colorado, New Mexico, parts of Texas, most every significant airfield on the map and here I my list up to today:

The great thing about working from home is the ability to pop upstairs to give Andrea a new destination. The bad thing is how rare the parts are and how difficult (impossible) it seems to be able to predict.

Here is my month of part hunting:

I may get bored later and try exporting the ledger and making a flight plan up to all the spots that I have stopped. Should be interesting.

I have not hit every field (obviously) but and significantly sized one. At this point I am up to $1.3M on trading commodity stocks but taking the best deal from where ever I am to where ever I am going.

Great info. I’m amazed that an airport like LAX had no parts. LOL… I’m doing the same thing…checking back in to Air Hauler throughout the day to give “Destiny” new tasking. She’s a trooper. She only has one more part to find and then I’m bringing her home.

My list of airports with inventory recently:

CYLW
CYVR
CYXX
CYCC
KAMA
KBEC
KBFI
KBLI
KCLT
KCMH
KDAL
KDCA
KDEN
KDFW
KDSM
KFXE
KGJT
KIAD
KIAH
KIND
KJAX
KLAS
KLAX (there were parts here in the past…but none tonight!)
KLGB
KLNK
KMCO
KMDW
KMIA
KMSY
KOAK
KOGD
KOMA
KPAE
KPDX
KPIT
KPSP
KPVU
KRDD
KRDU
KRIC
KSFO
KSMF
KTLH

Here is Andrea’s trip so far:

That list of airports you have. Son of a… there are a bunch there that I have visited that had no parts. Granted, I don’t have your inventory of shoes, but still! KDEN, KOAK and so may other airports that failed me! :slight_smile:

Largest stretch without seeing a part: 40 airports!
Current stretch without seeing a part: 23 airports.

And both of those, a stretch (so far) of 63 airports and i have seen 2 parts. Doh!

1 Like

Do you have a production facility built fridge? I’m wondering if that impacts whether you see parts? Or how influences inventory quantity.

And…I know this is a dumb suggestion…but…you have imported whatever airplane into Air Hauler that you are on the parts quest for right? Air Hauler will only generate parts that are in its database (default planes plus whatever you import manually).

Yeah. No Factory yet … was collecting parts first. And yeah, aircraft are imported … I have 6/7 parts for 4 aircraft but I just can’t find those last pieces. :slight_smile:

Ya, so I wonder if the lack of facility is reducing the availability of parts? I’m not seeing a ton of parts as I fly around either, and I don’t have a production facility yet.

Back from a bit of vacation and doing some background Air Hauler flying…

First update…looks like Destiny finally hit the jackpot up at Boeing Field. She has been searching far and wide for the final Embraer 135 part, and she finally stumbled upon it at KBFI…

Instead of shipping it, which will take several days…I’ve finally got an airplane big enough to haul it…! The Fokker 50 (technically owned by MAD VA) can carry over 10,000 lbs., so I’m going to check it out from the VA and go get the part from Boeing Field.

First though, I have to pass the type rating for the Fokker 50…

Heading out for my type rating ride…no idea why there isn’t a second crew member on board…

Off we go. Pretty sketchy operation if you ask me though…no idea of what the flap, gear, or power settings are, so I just wagged it all. Got through the type ride with no problems though…

After completion of the type ride, taxied back in to Pullman and took our rightful spot down on the “big boy” ramp next to the Frontier Airbus…

So here is where it gets fun. I need to get over to Boeing Field, so I went ahead and picked up some contracts to fly over to KEAT on the way. The F50 with full fuel will hold a bit over 10,000 lbs…which means you can actually haul many smaller contracts. What does this mean for you oh REP seeking VA pilots? It means you can make one trip and get 8 or 12 contracts that each count toward REP! So check out the F50 (when I’m done with it you sky pirates!) and rack up the REP!

So off we go with a eight contracts. Starting to learn the Fokker 50 a bit more on the job. It has a nice takeoff configuration button that you can hit prior to putting the power to it to verify you are actually configured for takeoff…

The F50 is fantastically easy to get started and ready to go from cold & dark. And it is a nice blend of automation and old school instruments. I was really on the fence about buying it, but now I’m thrilled to death that I did. There is a really nice 2D autopilot/FD panel…and for once an airplane has an altitude preselector that moves quickly AND in 100’ increments quickly. I’m so tired of scrolling for 30 seconds to set altitudes. This plane gets it right.

I also discovered the panel lighting options that look fantastic…

Pop-Up Sperry and Honeywell avionics…again…great for 2D flying…

The GTN750 is panel mounted on the pedestal…and integrates perfectly with the flight director including VNAV GPS approaches. Perfect!

Arrived at KEAT. Nice to have a GPU available too!

And there ya’ go…eight contracts completed for a total REP gain of .75…! (Cargo REP gain of 2.10)…

…and a bit more than $59,000 in the bank…

So yeah, the Fokker is really nice. Will continue over to BFI to pick up the E135 part and bring it back over to the MAX factory in Pullman…

4 Likes

Kgeg has a decent number of parts for me right now.

1 Like