Make it so

Star Trek: Picard: (“CBS All Access” version - USA only)

Source: https://youtu.be/FySrgrKJguE

Star Trek: Picard: (“Prime Video” version - Europe)

Source: https://youtu.be/QvKBeOKvblI
https://youtu.be/QvKBeOKvblI

The trailer brought home in a much more visceral way than I ever expected how much I have missed that character and group of actors from The Next Generation. I really hope that it can live up to the potential I see in those scenes from the trailer.

Wheels

5 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

And here.

Bit dissapointed there was no chair mounting scene with Riker …

3 Likes

Beautiful and … well… engage-ing! :wink:

videos not available. So fun.

Having seen it though, very much looking forward to it.

This week I watched The Inner Light and Time’s Arrow pt 1. I will be watching Pt 2 tonight. :slight_smile:

Too bad they waited this long, I fear Sir Patrick is getting frail. This would’ve been far better to do 10 years ago, but better now than never.

Darn, I thought at least one of the videos would be visible by everyone.

Wheels

Thought I would update my own thread on the subject since I couldn’t find it a few days ago…
I watched the first episode of Star Trek Picard on Jan 31. CBS is showing the first one without the subscription to “All Access”. I would love to see more but I will have to wait until it shows up on another service to get my fix…

I still can not believe how much I missed that character.

I checked to confirm it and like I thought, in the USA, you still need a CBS “All Access” account to watch the episodes using your Amazon Prime account so that won’t get me around the viewing restrictions. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Wheels

3 Likes

CBS All Access is only in a few countries right now, so Amazon Prime carries their programs outside of those.
Inside those countries, you need the CBS channel in Amazon Prime to see it, or you can sign up for the app separately if you watch on a Roku or tablet.

1 Like

Or you could you know… :pirate_flag:

I watched the first episode, which was pretty good. It looks like the format is one, season long storyline rather than a different ‘adventure’ every episode. IIRC there is a free trial month of CBS before you have to pay for it, so it might be worth doing that to binge watch the whole season once all episodes are available to watch.

That’s the new normal.
Serialized storytelling is now de rigeur instead of the exception.

I think The Orville is the only one still doing that for SF TV. Some other genres still do it, like the CSI/NCIS types, but even they have started to serialize the personal lives of the characters. Weekly cop drama with season-long soap opera when they’re not working.

I did just that with Discovery’s first 2 seasons. I waited until the season was almost done, signed up, watched them in a couple of weeks (I also caught the new Twilight Zone when S2 came out–it was quite good), and then canceled when the month was up. Well, second time I had to pay, but it was just one month, so not bad.

I think The Mandalorian managed to do both at once.
Can’t wait to see the next season.

and managed to have an incredibly snazzy earworm tune as well. That ditty is evoking spaghetti western, star wars exotiscism and all that at once. It is superb.

here’s a dude playing it on cello :slight_smile:

Uh, yeah Picard :slight_smile:

I loved it. It seemed more umm… cerebral than Discovery. And I like that. Star Trek needs less fisticuffs and pewpew and more food for thought. The very best of TNG were (IMO) those that dealt with philosophical issues of ethics and human nature, and what it means to be. And they dealt with that through dialogue and clever storytelling, not big set piece action scenes.

That said, the fisticuffs in ep1 were quite excellent, loved the flying armbar takedown she did on one of the romulan assailants. That is a difficult move to pull off!

2 Likes

When I heard about Picard I ran into the same access issues that snagged Wheels. I figured I’d watch Next Generation since I haven’t seen any of them since they originally aired. Amazingly, they hold up well. Again I agree with Wheels, that there is something special about Picard and his leadership style. Obviously we weren’t alone. As the population ages there is a hunger for bringing back the familiar for a final act. Maybe its reassuring somehow. My question is: is there any audience under 40 for a retired starship captain making wine?

5 Likes

Yes. :smirk:

3 Likes

I so want to be like Picard when I grow up… :sunglasses: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Yep I know but don’t let my avatar fool you, that is just something I am not able to bring myself to do nope, especially since I know already I will want more content than just the first season. The idea of binge watching later is probably what I will end up doing to get my fix.

Wheels

1 Like

Well, episode 1 was better than I was expecting, way better. Patrick Stewart is playing the role with heart. I wish I could stay for the whole ride. But paying one streaming service to view another, which I would also be paying for, is recursive and would possibly result in some of the same galactic disorder that the show is trying to clean up.

4 Likes