Midway Movie Trailer

True.

Bring on the HBO special!

1 Like

I’ve not started watching it yet, but History has had a miniseries on George Washington. Two hours each night for 3 nights. I’ve got it recorded and plan to watch it when I have the time.

Factoring in commercials of 1/3 total length of the show, that’s 4 solid hours.

1 Like

I finally watched this last night. Wife said it was fantastic and I really enjoyed it too. Was nice to see the human side of the Japanese fleet, I thought that was a nice touch and quite moving. The flying was a bit over the top and a bit unrealistic in places but it was a fun film for it anyway and kept the pace moving.
The ships themselves looked fantastic and the smoke and fire was incredible. There was one particular shot of the Yorktown coming out of the haze which was wonderful and also an amazing shot of the bow of the Yamato which I found very cool to see (it also explained to my wife why the “space battleship yamato” was called what it was)
All in all it was pretty good fun. Explained a little bit of history to people who wouldn’t of known the broader details (such as my wife) and was pretty inoffensive. I enjoyed it. Its not a documentary and its over the top action in places was pretty cool and kept the whole thing moving.
I think it was a nice tribute to the whole conflict.

3 Likes

Yeah, though imo the main character was a bit over the top. Even his name, Best :rofl:

But yeah, an interesting flick about a very important battle. I wonder if that amount of happenstance and incompetence is present in all of history’s great turning points.

2 Likes

My wife couldn’t stop giggling over “dick best” lol

2 Likes

We prefer to call it “Luck”. :grin:

1 Like

There was a USAF Major who was to speak to our British allies at some sort of conference in the UK. His last name was “Wanker”, a perfectly respectable surname in the US.

He began his brief, “Good Morning, I am Major Wanker…It’s OK, let it out …”. to thunderous laughter. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

If he did an exchange tour with the RAF his new callsign should be “Rubber.”

3 Likes