MSI Raider laptop

I decided to pick up a more powerful laptop. I have my “daily” travel laptop…which is a light and slim Asus Zenbook, but it only has an MX150 GPU in it.

So I spotted this deal on an MSI Raider GE63 and jumped on it. My total cost after the rebate and $50 off for signing up for the newsletter will be $1299 - I feel a good deal for the specs:

• 15.6" IPS screen 144Hz (1920 x 1080)
  • Intel i7 8750H (2.2GHz)
  • NVidia RTX 2070 (8GB)
  • 256GB NVMe
  • 1TB HDD

I was specifically looking for something with a DisplayPort or MiniDP to use with my Reverb (whenever I get a replacement) and I think this setup should be enough to push the pixels in most VR applications. Not as good as my 2080Ti desktop, but it should be OK for some on the road VR stuff.

2 Likes

That is a crazy good deal! It must be awesome to be able to take VR with you. I hope you can get a lot of X-Plane and VTOL VR hours in when away from home

X-Plane, VTOL VR, and Aerofly FS2 are the primary titles I’m interested in using in VR…so those will definitely be useful. I do wish the WMR hand controllers were as small and compact as the Rift Touch controllers…that would make carrying them in my bag a lot easier.

Why am I reminded of the Caravan pilot in this old commercial…

3 Likes

Wait till you see the size of the brick that this plugs into.

1 Like

Fissile Material for Reactor not included.

You have no idea how depressed I was when I read that on the fine print for my implant battery.

1 Like

It’s beautiful :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

(yes, that is Tom Cruise…and they wonder why he didn’t make Admiral …)

1 Like

Had a chance last night to briefly try out the new laptop with my Odyssey+ and it was awesome. The latest WMR and Steam VR betas seem to agree very nicely with this laptop. Running Steam VR at 154% and gave VTOL VR a whirl and it ran smooth as silk.

Tried 2D X-Plane with just a default install and was able to run high detail on almost all settings smoothly. Didn’t try VR yet.

Anyway, very pleased with the performance thus far…!

1 Like