Mudspike Firearms

No Mudspike Firearms thread yet?! :wink:

Ok, I’ll start it off … the P90 … just look at it! …

P90

The Five-seven pistol was developed in conjuntion with it! … take a gander at that! …

FN5701

Always wishing you smooth transitions! :slight_smile:

Without getting political, what is the fascination? I kind of scratch my head on that question. To me, a firearm is nothing more than a tool designed for a specific task. I don’t get excited over hammers, drills or wrenches, but maybe we need a power tool thread too? :wink:

7 Likes

Does this mean I can finally start my Mudspike Orchids thread? :tulip:

5 Likes

So is a fighter aircraft. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have any gun fascination either. But, I fully understand, people who like them. Despite his objective at the end it’s just a matter of personal interest/fascination just like cars, civil or military aircrafts, soccer, boats, subs, tanks, birds, women, etc.

I don’t see it as exactly the same thing. You also don’t see many privately owned, fully armed fighters.

We’re an aviation forum, mainly.

We don’t try to police/moderate for taste (half mine would be gone, for example) but just to the rules of not posting stuff that often leads to arguments or is a particularly divisive subject. Orchids don’t tend to polarize opinions, although people that like Phalaenopsis can go to hell.

A reminder for all that we do have good topic tools though. The button at the bottom of every topic can be flipped to keep all happy:

3 Likes

The price of one firearm against a functional jet… is frankly not a valid rebuttal

Can i just say, instead of hanging on thread that has no interest to you, perhaps we can be civil and get this thread back on track. We are not THAT OTHER SITE.

For me, i like firearms as a hobby. Used to do a bit of shooting back in oz and clay pidgeon shooting here in UK. Unfortunately, don’t get much of a chance lately. Pistol shooting i haven’t done much of, but i always wanted to get my hands on one of these. The reputation is quite good, though my pistol shooting skills would suck donkeys round things. Still want a go though.

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to the cost. More to the point that you are not allowed to own an armed fighter jet. Even that immaculate Sea Harrier isn’t allowed to be armed.

Anyway, I’ll butt out of the conversation at this point.

1 Like

This is obviously a very sensitive subject in light of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, but I will try to answer the question.

Shooting probably satisfies some primal instinct to blast stuff. Can be a lot of fun too. Taken further, even if you don’t use a firearm for its intended purpose, there is the challenge of doing it proficiently and safely. Competive shooting is challenging and can be rewarding provided one has a competant coach or mentor and willing to put in enough range time.

On a personal level, dad flew fighters, and since the USAF theorized that clay pigeon shooting satisfied both skill practice and recreation needs, there was a skeet range at every base we were stationed. My brothers and I worked at them in high school on weekends and during Summer break.

Then there is hunting. In the Southeast USA where I grew up, it was sort of expected that you became proficient shooting quail, dove, and squirrel before you got pushed out of the nest. I had my first side-by-side 20 GA at 11 years old. Still have it. I would imagine boys from rural OH, PA, NY, or any number of States had the same experiences.

As Americans, we probably all imagine ourselves as just a few generations separated from Meriweather Lewis, Daniel Boone, or Jim Bridger. For better or worse, firearms are woven into the fabric of our origin and existence. Add 9/11, a strong firearms lobby, a bunch of Internet forums, YouTube, and very tolerant firearms laws in most states, you have a perfect storm for widespread firearm and ammo ownership.

1 Like

What now?

I just found out about the “Honey Badger” rifle when I loaded the Insurgency mod we’re currently playing with … VERY nice firearm (yes I know FPS Russia isn’t Russian :slight_smile: ) …

Just poking fun at how one could, in theory, arm an aircraft. The pilot could work up enough gas by eating either prunes, broccoli, or the day’s McSpecial Meal. From there, holding it in long enough, one only needs to figure out the proper delivery system and presto! Armed aircraft!

… I’ll stop now.

I detect German humor. :grin:

2 Likes

I share your love for the Steyr AUG Franze :slight_smile: … the memory of all the guards at Frankfurt Flughafen when I arrived there 35 years ago really left an imprint on me.

The Europeans really know how to make 5.56 rifles. Used to work with a guy who got some range time with the Bundeswehr in the mid-90s, right as they were transitioning to the G36; he said it was the sweetest shooting rifle he ever shot. He definitely didn’t think too highly of the MG3, though – but that’s only because he missed!

:thinking:

Oh man, the G3 was a favorite of mine way back in the pre 2005 Rainbow Six era. I had no idea it was tied to the AWESOME MP5 but I can now see the similarities. Thanks for that.

It was also used as the basis for the less-successful 5.56 HK33 and stillborn HK41. For a while, almost all of H&K’s rifles were designed on the roller-delayed blowback principle. Because of the violent, yet positive, extraction, G3s are probably the most reliable battle rifle of the Cold War. This also means that it takes considerable effort to charge the rifle, as the handle’s unlocking motion serves as leverage to unlock the bolt from the rollers while the user has to pull back with considerable effort against the operating spring! Further, the empty cases are often sent out with such force that they’re usually never seen again – all the craters on the moon are supposedly from G3 empties having been sent there.

If one does find a G3-used case, it often has a prominent ding on the base of the cartridge, a crushed case mouth, and fouling marks from the fluted chamber. Coupled with the velocity and direction of the ejected case, the Germans apparently wanted to get 65% more bullet per bullet when they designed the G3.

Prior to 1969, G3s were also made by Rheinmetall; these can be distinguished by the unique “circle and diamond” stamp as opposed to the generic “HK” mark on H&K built G3s.