Mudspike Firearms

OK, time for another update!

The CZ Scorpion Evo 3:

Submachine guns (or subguns as I like to call them) have fallen by the wayside in the past 2 decades. Many short and super short carbines (like the Mk18) firing cartridges like 5.56 and 5.45 supplanted subguns in the 1990s as they became more reliable and more effective due to advances in ammunition and ballistics out of short barrels. While not perfect, they simplified logistics a great deal over having to use dedicated subguns in certain situations – and subguns are extremely niche. Because of this, subguns became greatly relegated in military use, far more than they had previously. The vast majority of subguns in current police and military usage are positively ancient designs, some dating to the 1950s! A major reason for this is that subguns are very simple; the vast majority are simply a spring and a bolt to make a raw blowback firearm.

The Scorpion Evo 3 kept a very simple blowback design while adding new features to make a design competitive with older subguns. The majority of the construction is plastic, reducing weight, while rails allow far more customization options over older designs. Many parts can be modified by the end user and in the USA, has become popular and commonplace. Because the design is simple and cheap, CZ has been able to bite a huge share of the niche subgun market from older and more expensive firearms such as the MP5. The design utilizes a trigger pack that operate very similar to the AK trigger system as well as modern features like a firing pin safety. Most of the weight is in the bolt, which is a milled block of steel.

2 Likes

Third arm. It looks strange at first but makes you think “hmmm?”. :slight_smile:

Marines already have these, just don’t think I would use it that way.

3 Likes

Ha.

2 Likes

real life imitating art …lol always wondered why this has not been done before …

Weight. When you add in everything else that they gotta carry, a third arm adds a few more pounds to lug around, which sucks when you’re already toting 70-90lbs of gear.

Reminds of when they came out with the improved flak jackets around 2004-2005. Added Kevlar neck, throat, groin, and shoulder pads to the vest. Saw a bunch of army dudes rolling around in them, they could barely get in and out of a truck. In dismounted combat, less is always more. I used to love seeing the FNGs with 800 pouches attached to their rig, with a drop holster, drop bag, etc. looking like a gear bomb went off. When I was getting out, they were starting to use the FSBE suite, a modular plate carrier system. Much more practical than being a walking tank.

2 Likes

That sounds nuts! Didn’t the team lead have a say about what the team could bring into combat?

I hope it didn’t get all politically correct and that soldiers could gear up with whatever they thought was safe. :slight_smile:

They’re thinking about adding even more weight. Armor has been developed that supposedly will stop standard 7.62 NATO AP rounds, so they’ve developed a $14 a pop 7.62 NATO round to defeat that… And decided that future body armor needs to be able to stop the new round.

In the insanity, they’re probably going to start expecting 100-120 pounds of gear in the future. Not a pretty picture.

I’m an old man now, but even if I were 18 or 19, I can’t imagine humping that much gear, especially in hot climates. 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems. A $14 cartridge does seem a little steep for wide dispersion though. Lord help us from the well intended.

Ok i understand that bullet vs armour vs bullet upgrade thingy. But how much punch would you still receive beneath a vest that could stop a 7.62.?

Given the fact that the vest wouldn’t exactly be light, probably not a whole lot different than taking a 7.62x54R with current gen stuff.

I just came across this video. Wow.

If you happen to have a spare $125K lying around, you can get this semi-auto minigun.

BTW, this is an April Fool’s joke. Would be epic if it wasn’t. You can already buy a semi-auto M249.

1 Like

Do you paperwork, get your SOT, and several companies will happily sell you a minigun.

laughs in 45-70 and hand cranks

who wants a rotary machine gun when you can have a rotary cannon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQEs6i4fwLA

1 Like

That’s too much physical activity!

Anyone interested in old revolvers?

Need help identifying this Smith and Wesson hand ejector. As far as I can tell, it’s a 5 screw version, but there is no model stamped on it. The serial is on the butt V191409. Wondering if this is from the 40s-50s? I thought it may be from WW1, but I remember reading that those were .45 ACP versions.

Smith & Wesson Victory model. Production between 1942 and 1944. In .38 Special it was used by the US War Department for guards, rear areas, etc. and in Lend Lease it was procured in .38/200 aka .38S&W by the British. Your example looks to be British, judging by the proof marks.

1 Like