My battle with Windows 2004 upgrade

Not a 2004 year upgrade, but the very latest one from Microsoft for Windows 10 in June 2020.

Must admit, read on many forums this was supposedly a pretty cool Windows OS upgrade, made everything run more efficient and smoother … aye, right, lots of negativity on test groups, so they pulled it, saying … your computer is not quite ready for it yet … and I saw that as a challenge.

Had to try it for myself, you can do this by downloading the Microsoft official upgrade tool … But I’d advise not to, its near wrecked my carefully put together rig and OS too.

This might not be immediately apparent, but it soon was for me :frowning:

I’m sure MS Win 10 2004 is a worthwhile upgrade once mature? but right now its wrecked a lot of my near perfect system, especially for multiple USB devices we all like to use in Flight Sim.

Spent hours fixing things, reinstalling motherboard drivers and still finding faults, its hard to find faith in what Microsoft do, when they make constant public release bugs like this all the time?

Was borderline formatting aqain, but seemed to have rescued things after hours of different device driver testing and multiple re-boots.

This MS Windows 10 2004 (not a year update) has been a disaster of a release, and that’s why they pulled it so fast and are not telling us, our PC’s are not ready they say … uh uh, its their upgrade was not ready.

I wish I’d never tried it.

1 Like

Interesting. We’ve begun upgrading a few of our clients’ work desktops, and the only gotcha that I’m hearing from the field is make sure to update the latest BIOS before attempting. Will hold off on upgrading my gaming system until I hear more positive takes.

1 Like

I have done a few laptops at work, my workstation and the HPN server.
My workstation had an Intel Rapid Storage DLL issue - but since I don’t use Intel RAID, I just ignored it.
HPN needed the NIC driver reinstalled because it has an Intel Server NIC (I350T2V2).
Otherwise all clear.

1 Like

Work and Clients, am sure its fine Guys, this is not really a Work and Client support site here though.

More, meant for average Gamers and Flight simmers effected by this OS?

Some seem to be OK, thought I was for a bit, then it it was problem city. … ARGH :slight_smile:

Careful with force downloading this current Windows 10 2004 upgrade is all I’m saying.

Mo Bo is up to date, latest BIOS revision, its nothing to do with that, unless you include current chipset drivers, Win 10 2004 has been pulled for a while because its not 100%, ready, please don’t force it is my recommendation for Simming and Gaming, please wait until its mature … The … your Computer is not quite ready yet thing, is Microsoft Guff, its their update that is not TOTALLY ready :slight_smile:

1 Like

The list of potential problems (listed and discovered) included:

• AMD, Nvidia and Intel Graphics Drivers
  • Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers
  • Microsoft Office installations
  • Bluetooth drivers
  • Audio Drivers
  • Network Card Drivers

So ya, I don’t expect it go to well yet. Good to note it down for people. I found out about office being a hold back as we had a system in that was showing “not quite ready yet” and as soon as I pulled office and refreshed windows update it was ready for it. Go figure.

1 Like

I’m STILL fighting with this. I have nearly solved it but by god it was a PITA. Compounded by my use of a samsung tv that will not recognize my motherboards default resolution. My wife called me lazy for leaving my previous TV behind my new one as a spare but my god I’m glad I did or I would of been completely screwed

1 Like

Jeez, sounds like every building block of a modern computer. May as well just say that if it has a CPU, handles instructions in binary, and is anything more advanced than an abacus or slide rule it will have issues. :laughing:

I’ve seen some articles the last few months where Microsoft has been having issues with their Windows updates. Never looked too far into it, but definitely haven’t been pushing to get the latest updates on my computer.

For stuff like DCS and Il-2, while bugs and betas may annoy us they don’t really affect us in a significant way (although I’m sure there are those who would disagree). But major bugs on software that underpins many people’s connection to the world and in some cases their livelihood? That’s something that really, really shouldn’t happen.

2 Likes

Plus infinity to that. 045

Wheels

3 Likes

It also causes problems with Windows Server’s Remote Desktop Gateway - so my users that got 2004 cannot connect to the office with a traditional RDP config & shortcut. However, the built-in Windows 10 app (or free on the MS store if you don’t have it built-in) for remote desktop does still work through an RD gateway.

Found that out today, but totally in line with your comment.

1 Like

My gaming world would be a calmer place if DCS ran on Linux…
20 years in IT, I gave up on Micro$haft and went full *nix
Solaris, RedHat, VMware ESX, anything but Windoze
of course most virtual machines were m$ but my days were always brighter if i didnt have to support a windows server.

1 Like

Have to follow up on this - turns out Network Teaming is broken in Win10 2004. Intel’s current drivers do not work and they have yet to release a new one. Found other users on Intel’s forum with this exact same issue I was experiencing. Sigh. Broke the LACP-LAG and running single port until driver update.

And further, HyperV virtual switches don’t function properly either.

The Remote Desktop issue I worked around originally with the RD app, but a redeploy of our RD icon with saved connection settings did the trick.

HPN I rolled back to 1909 for now until I see the Intel update and word on HyperV. That only took 2 minutes and a reboot. Windows is getting better, despite the hickups!

1 Like
© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ