NATO Ministry of Information video thread

I saw in an interview with Kurt Vonnegut where he told of being berated in a war-buddy’s kitchen by the buddy’s wife just prior to departure for a research trip through Europe. She accused him of planning yet another war novel that will lie about the maturity of soldiers doing the killing and dying. This is largely why the characters in Slaughterhouse Five are so obviously young and childlike.

2 Likes

My uncle was shot down and died a pilot of a B-26 in WWII. He was 22 yrs old.
Yeah, they were young.

4 Likes

The average age of an Australian soldier during the Vietnam War was 19…

4 Likes

Same for US soldiers IIRC.

1 Like

I seem to remember that same statistic @Aginor.

Wheels

1 Like

I regularly think the same thing when I see Police conducting traffic stops :grin:

2 Likes

USS Gerald R. Ford sailing in the Oslo fjord.

13 Likes

Could this be any lovlier?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helicopters/comments/141ob90/impressive_most_impressive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

And sorry. Life’s great mystery is getting reddit videos to link as a video.

VVVV Thanks @Freak!

2 Likes

Awesome video!

Let me try the link from my lovely app (Infinity) before it gets shut down:

6 Likes

When I watch that clip my mind automatically plays ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ in the background :grin:

2 Likes

Just stumbled across this when looking at the display sched - worth a look at the 3D section. Have to see if does VR, too.

1 Like

I thought this was interesting:

3 Likes

I gave up halfway through… I don’t understand the purpose of the video.
I mean, it’s not like you must use dispersal strategies to deploy the Gripen.
Some NATO members have aircraft carriers. That doesn’t mean all members must be able to operate from them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having just watched the video I think the main purpose of it was to highlight the difference in Sweden’s way in which they train the whole logistical chain of people who serve the aircraft. This includes the aircraft itself which is plugged into the chain of how all people (the culture), army, navy, civilians of the nation (Sweden) are taught their responsibilities in times of war/crisis. This training and reliance on personal responsibilities makes their organizational structure more flexible (according to the people interviewed) than what they perceive as other European and Amercian logistical structures. All working as a team, an entire nation and the Gripen, according to the video is just one small facet of this operational structure.

The Gripen itself is sort of a small example of the bigger picture above, it’s flexible in terms of where it can land-takeoff, very efficient in terms of turn-around times rearming-refueling and maintaining the aircraft and thus can change its operations depending on the military, strategic situation at hand.

Of course they highlighted some problem issues as well like replacing people when they leave the service so no organization is perfect but I think he made the video due to what we are seeing the Ukrainians going through in the war. How they are surviving do to being flexible and moving targets (what Russians want to hit) constantly in order to save equipment and material for future battlefield use.

That’s my take on it anyway.

3 Likes

My takeaway was similar to @Troll’s. I felt like the creator was forcing a story out of his content. He was answering a question no one was asking so that he could parlay the footage and interviews into something that seemed right out of AW&ST. I gave up on the talky bits and just watched the flying. It was pretty good stuff.

2 Likes

I finally endured to the end of the video. :wink:
That clickbait title though… :roll_eyes:
NATO not ready? SwAF Gripens served with NATO in Libya. They practice with NATO units yearly and has even participated in Red Flag.

When I served, conscript aircraft and weapons mechanic training was 12 months. We had 4 rotations every year, so every 3 months a new batch of conscripts were ready to go. In the event of war, the Airforce would deploy to their respective dispersed bases, with the conscripts already on duty.
Not sure how it is today as the peoples armed forces conscript philosophy was dormant for many years.

Adapting NATO for Gripen is, as I see it, a non issue. The jet is compatible in every way and the personell has been training for NATO collaboration for at least two decades. When I served, pilots only used swedish language when communicating :grin: That too has changed…

Edit.
I just realized that next month it’s been 30 years since my service year was up… I was 21 back then, which must mean that I’m… :scream:
Yeah! So… Nice weather we’re having, huh?

6 Likes

Its an absolute beast of a jet.

Yes, I should have added that the part I found interesting was the different approach to organisation and risk management that the Swedish forces use. It’s not really about the jet itself but rather the dispersed model, and the idea that your air defences could be distributed around a couple of dozen woodland clearings leaving no large infrastructure for an invading force to target.

1 Like

Fun story

3 Likes