Navy Norfolk Pic

Had a flight to the outer banks over the weekend and took this shot of Navy Norfolk. I was at FL300 so sorry about the quality.

8 Likes

Wow, talk about being empty. My understanding is, pretty much everybody’s out to dodge the COVID right now. But then again, the Navy seems to like spending the summers out to sea anyway, because better flying weather or something. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that two aircraft carriers in the left side of the picture? The profile seems to be correct to me. Especially the one on the right side with the bow facing towards you?

Wheels

1 Like

It is- those are piers 12 and 14 all the way on the left, which are the carrier piers.

1 Like

Sooooo…

Can I just say that I love Mudspike for the very reason that it lacks the divide that permeates the rest of my life. I have the unfortunate affliction of possessing strong feelings which might make me a little more sensitive than the average mudspiker. That is my problem and no one else’s. That said, for me seeing avatars with a clear message one way or the other is like having a dinner conversation with someone with a bugger hanging confidently from the left nostril. It’s possible. But it’s a lot less fun.

4 Likes

I spent a lot of days near that airfield in 1989-90 watching A-6s and E-2’s doing touch and goes there when I should have been in class at Old Dominion. The Tomcats were all mostly over at Oceana…so I’d also go over there. Pretty much anything to avoid being in Marine Biology…

1 Like

I flew a charter from Guantanamo to Oceana years ago. It was at night and I asked if they could turn the meatball on. The tower controller had no idea what I was talking about. Neither did I actually. It was a pretty embarrassing moment. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Ha…I’ll bet they actually had one…well…maybe. There may have been a NOLF type place where they did the carrier type stuff…

1 Like

Yeah…maybe Fentress Field…

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation Navy. :sunglasses:

Wheels

I’ll address this since it has been an interesting week here on the forums. Avatars are obviously personal things with a public face. It was pointed out to me that some avatars (not the obvious ones) have some meanings to other users that the owner of the icon may not even be aware of. For instance…the Sukhoi users are forming a militia to ban your avatar @smokinhole…

I’m aware of what is going on around here…and have been an active participant. I plan to keep Mudspike just the way it was, but have some messaging that is important to me. Will it ruin Mudspike? Maybe. For some. I’m OK with where we are headed in the very short term, and am even more OK with where we are headed in the longer term.

We are considering dropping user created avatars altogether. Not as a vote against one or the other…but to just remove a layer of possible conflict.

I’m also considering a 24 or 48 hour “safety stand down” of the site. It’s just been a very busy week for me at work, I have training coming up, and sometimes it is good to take a break. I encourage everyone to take a deep breath, and we will get through this. I appreciate your patience - this is all not something I am good at…again…that Libra side of me.

Thanks…

7 Likes

In the meantime. I fear I sent Destiny to Okinawa in the Husky on accident.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I hope she took a life jacket!

She has 500 pounds of shoes. Maybe she can built a raft and sail out of them…

You know, that might just work :rofl:.

1 Like

Thanks…all the praise goes to @Fridge and @Troll for the massive assistance. All the criticism should be directly squarely at me. My name is on the bills, and I’m responsible for the content that goes on the site. Mudspike doesn’t exist in a vacuum…like it or not, it is also a part of me and who I am. Sometimes I have to let a bit of that personality leak into the site to put my stamp on it. I’ve lost friends over the years due to missteps that I wish I could correct, but the mistakes are what make me me. And sometimes my mistakes are just things I must say. I can live with that.

5 Likes

On the first point, I’ll just say that CW2 Apache Pilot will be disappointed:

Elite-Force-U-S-Apache-SDL375198675-1-8b889

For the second, I’ve tried to slow down my own tempo on Mudspike and contemplate recent events as well as evaluate my own conscience. I would encourage everyone else to do the same, but from the looks of things, I get the impression most are already doing so. There’s a lot I would like to say and add but my gut tells me that this is neither the time nor the place. I’ll just say that this community is full of unique, interesting, and diverse people from a huge variety of backgrounds; it is inevitable that there will be friction.

5 Likes

I would like to voice a dissenting opinion on the avatars.

Nowhere on the internet will you find a civil discourse between people who are on opposite sides of the divides that tear up your nation.

Having us show our colour, while still remaining civil, as wheels and Ted do upthread is incredibly hopeful to me. It shows this too will pass.

8 Likes

Oh my. It’s the small differences in US vs UK English. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Oh there’s more in my fanny-pack!

(And I looked up “bugger”. I know the British meaning. But I could not find a reference to my intended meaning. Is it a colloquial Virginia term or did I spell it wrong? This feels a little bit like asking for the meatball all over again.)

2 Likes