New Year/Flight Sim Resolutions

That campaign was amazing. Probably my second favorite after Raven One, but it’s very close.

Hope your instrument scan skills are on-par, cause, uh, you’re gonna need it! :rofl: :joy:

Seriously, without giving anything away, the night missions were just like going through an IPC in a level-D sim. By the time I was done with it I was pretty good at my scan lol.

Honestly, if one doesn’t overthink it too much and lets Goose Jester do his job, it’s probably the easiest full-fledged fighter to learn; at least from a systems and weapons perspective.

Plus it’s a daggum TOMCAT! :star_struck: :+1:
ETA: I Love the Tomcat. Heatblur really captured the atmosphere of flying swing-wing tennis court at Mach 1.5 and launching sixshooters at incoming vampires. Definitely the most atmospheric module in DCS, and well worth the money. I just wish I had time/room to build a sim pit for every module I’m hopelessly in love with. The other night I played Bombcat in the Falklands, dropping 18x Mk-82s in a string along a runway, pretending to be an F-111. Even the A2G is cool.

8 Likes

Hmm…

1. Be more intentional with my civilian flight simming. I am a very “light” simmer on the civilian side when it comes to procedures. I think I am reasonably competent on the technical side (how to VOR navigate for instance), but things like picking and following a SID/STAR have been something I have largely ignored. I’d like to get my PPL in the next 5-6 years, so I am trying to be more focused on the “simulation” aspect of the entire flight, versus say the systems modeling or sightseeing.

2. Be more disciplined with my DCS purchasing habits. I have a very full digital hanger, and to be honest I have my favorites like we all do. There is plenty of shiny new birds coming out, and I need to be honest with myself about what I have time to fly and learn. I am fine making some purchases to support a developer or ED, but there are some that I have made that I really could have left on the virtual shelf.

3. Fly what makes me happy in DCS. To tie into #2, I tend to want to be fairly systems proficient in an aircraft. This leads me to spending an inordinate amount of time learning how to use a variety of weapon systems, I am probably never going to load onto the A/C again. I am an iron bomb and rocket kind of guy at heart. I know that and I need to be okay with it, rather than spending my limited leisure time doing flying that doesn’t appeal to me as much.

4. Get me man cave cleaned up so I can start using it again. With my schedule now I have much more regular times where I can sim wherever I want, so I can get back to my HOTAS in the man cave. I just need to tidy up in there enough and get everything setup to allow me to move my laptop in to do so.

10 Likes

Ohhh…I have Got to remember this one as I start my XPlane Journey…many :moneybag: :money_with_wings: :moneybag: pitfalls along the way :grin:

1 Like

I had to get a job flying airplanes so that I could support my flight sim habit! :crazy_face::upside_down_face:

12 Likes

It’s like you get to practice for the flight simulator while you’re at work! :joy:

5 Likes

You know, the work skill set does seem to be transferable to the sim. :wink:

6 Likes

I’m with ya. But which one? :grin:

3 Likes

you guys making the ‘dream come true’.
just imagine for how long are guys like @wagmatt , @777Studios_Jason , LR devs, Team Fusion devs, OBD SW devs, and many others around with us pushing their vision for perfect sim. :+1:

for me it would be more DCS online this year. I spent some time in IL2 online last year and this year I would like to play with the full fidelity warbirds more. then smoothly transition to Korean era. P51 → F4U → F86 or LA7 → MiG15

plus I would like to finish some offline campaign DID style. I guess Paradise Lost is still unplayable for me performance wise so this one after multithreading/vulkan the soonest. probably something WWII / Korea.

in civi sector I would like to finish last years XMas Flight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My two New Years resolutions are to clean up and release my WW2 sandbox mission(s), and fly all the Reflected campaigns I’ve been sitting on. It’s hard to get the motivation to do campaigns since missions are so long, and I can’t good external shots/footage from them.

4 Likes

Ha sorry missed this - I don’t know!!

I think it’s gotta be the f-14 or f-18, can’t decide. The main issue is time, like I’m sure with everyone.

Or more specifically, devoting limited time to learning the ropes on something, rather than spending that time in something I know flying a mission or campaign.

Wouldn’t mind a matrix style jack- in/download of the basics so I knew going into something I wouldn’t be spending half the time setting up the keymaps and the other half in active pause wondering what happen to my waypoints.

3 Likes

I just threw that out there cus I can’t decide myself. I need to pick one, but I want to pick, oh, three! Doing the AV-8 right now but progress on it is sloooow (for various reasons).

4 Likes

I’ll put it on record here so I can come back in a year and see how long it lasted.

I intend to limit my purchases of aircraft as I have a large number already in DCS, acquired during various sales over the years. I have kept firm on my intended restraint of not getting the Mirage F1 since its release. Instead I will continue to improve my knowledge of the following aircraft in 2023:
Jets:

• Mirage 2000
  • A4-E Skyhawk

Warbirds:

• Mosquito

Helicopters:

• Huey

Terrain and campaigns are another matter and I will consider any of those that appeal. Oh, if the Community Avro Lancaster should release this year then I’m all in.

Let’s see how we get on.

5 Likes

I admire your resolve.

And damn you for reminding me that I have downloaded the Scooter (fight night map requirement) but haven’t done anything with it… yet!

3 Likes

Thank you! Let’s see what happens in the next 12 months.

I highly recommend the Skyhawk. I really enjoy it. For me it helps that the RAN flew a variant of the Skyhawk.

The Mirage 2000 has just got better and better since I purchased it. I’d love to see a Mirage III in DCS at the same level of fidelity as the RAAF had it on roster back in the day.

3 Likes

@Snowy55 I’m guessing that you are an Aussie? Ex Service, RAN?

Not trying to be nosey, but there aren’t a lot of us (that I’m aware of) on Mudspike. I live a bit over an hour from Canberra on the Southern Tablelands close to the ‘foothills’ of the Snowy Mountains. I have just ‘flown’ the Skyhawk, but only enough to tune the axis curves - with a RAN skin :wink: I am really impressed so far. I wish I had realised what a gem this mod was ages ago.

A RAAF Mirage III would be cool, but the module I would most like to see for DCS is a F-111.

3 Likes

@Harry_Bumcrack now I know you’re new here, so this is just a friendly reminder. If you mention the FB-111 in anyway you HAVE to tag @Bogusheadbox . It is the law of MS.

6 Likes

Sir.
:salute:

3 Likes

G’day mate! Yes, I’m an Aussie. Just four years in the Army Reserve in the 90s. My son is currently serving in the RAAF. Life long interest in our armed forces. I’m from the Yarra Valley originally. I now live in the UK. What branch of the services for you?

Glad you tried the A4-E, it is a work of art in my opinion. Yeah, an F-111 would be nice. @Bogusheadbox tagged :wink:

2 Likes

Joined the ARA in 1988 - RAAC (1st Armd Regt) for nearly four years and then Corps transferred to AUSTINT, discharged as a Sergeant in 2006.

I lived in Melbourne from 1985 until 1988, but was spending as many weekends as I could there while I was posted to Puckapunyal and know the Yarra valley quite well.

1 Like

Well, I’ve made an adjustment already to my NY resolution. “Why?” I hear you ask… (crickets) …well I want to start flying on Enigma’s Cold War server with a mate and the Mirage 2000 has no place there. So, as I still want to limit what I focus on in DCS this year I will swap the Mirage for the Viggen.

4 Likes