Nintendo Switch - March 3rd $299

Old intro video that explains the type of console/handheld it is:

The games look ok, standard Nintendo fair:

Mario game:

Zelda:

Bomberman!

March 3rd $299. Will probably pick one up, as we’ve had good use out of the Wii and Wii U over the years. Good for family games around the TV etc. so hopefully they do lots of those.

1 Like

$299 for yet another console? I’m tired of wasting my money on boxes that just take up valuable entertainment center space, batteries, and power strip outlets, not to mention the batteries for the controllers, shelf space for the games, and, of course,all the…

…did you say Zelda?

How do we pre-order?

1 Like

Sorry for the necroposting- I was thinking to buy a Nintendo Switch for my kids for Christmas.

Is there any good reason to pick the latest OLED in place of the first gen Switch?
Are the joypad still drifting? How bad does it gets?

How’s the game service system? Like I get there is a on-line shop like for the Wii but… is the online free?

I have the standard Switch. Never had joycon drift. I bought this controller and it suits me incredibly well:

Fits amazing in the hand. Classic controller layout. Works on PC too.

Online gameplay costs $20 per year, and includes a ton of NES, SNES, and Gameboy games. I practically never play online, but hired the service for a year just to enjoy a few of those older games I never got to play back in the day.

I’ve got a few cartridge games. But most I’ve purchased through the Nintendo e-shop. I put in a 128GB microSD card back when I bought the Switch, and have never had any concerns about storage, at least with the games I’ve bought.

3 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate.

I must say my kids are extremely happy with the Switch!

Both finished Mario Odyssey during the Christmas break- not 100%'ed it, but beaten the final boss.

My daughter is content with that, while my son sees the vast amount of remaining Moons as a challenge and wants to get more. :smiley:

Question is what games to buy next?

Both seems to agree Mario Kart 8 is a great choice, but having played many previous iterations of the game I know how friendship breaking that game can be…
:grimacing:

I have my eyes both of Link’s Awakening and Breath of the Wild…

My son told me he’s very interested in Kirby Forgotten land.

We will see but for now I am utterly impressed by the little machine. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got Mario Kart 8. It is fantastic, but as you say… with 2 players, it’s conflict. Heck, it’s conflict with ONE player. Items are more prevalent in this version than those I played previously (I’m still an OG SNES purist). So there will be much shelling and banana peel action between players.

Some other games I’ve played and can comment on (in random order):

• Super Mario 3D World/Bowsers Revenge: More of the Mario formula. I found 2 player frustrating, because so much cooperation is required to avoid constantly losing.

• Pikmin 4: This is a very nicely done strategy type game that is perfectly approachable for kids of the right age. There is a 2 player component, and there is a head-to-head play mode, but this seems much less combative (on a personal level). Really good IMO. There is free a demo on Switch.

• Kirby and the Forgotten Land: There is a free demo on the Switch for this. I played it (twice) and was pleased with the experience. Beautiful presentation.

• Let’s Go Pikachu: This is the classic Pokemon Yellow from the Gameboy days, remade. Looks and visual style, music, all top notch. I played about 15 hours, and realized that’s going to be a LONG playing game. Put it aside until I have more time. Very approachable, very easy to play.

• Metroid Prime Remastered: A fantastic platformer/FPS. Really makes the Switch flex the hardware. Gameplay and level design is superb, but you play through some areas several times (on unlocking paths). Took me about 30 to 35 hours to complete. This is probably the most impressive game I’ve played on Switch, simply because I didn’t expect the game could be that good, or look that good. Kinda claustrophobic, maybe scary for some younger audiences, though.

• Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker: This was just $25 or so, and is a very well done puzzle game. Simple, easy to play, and some of the puzzles have been really good. Each level has 4 objectives, so at least a couple replays are possible.

• Picross 7: A deceptively simple $10 puzzle game. So good for me, hours spent on these puzzles and not even 1/3 through it yet. Quiet zen, challenge, and some good tunes. Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDGswS3d5Ug

• Grid Autosport: This is the old game that’s been on so many systems (and maybe phones). I played like 45 hours of it. Got me re-interested in simcade racing. Looks decent, plays decent, plenty to do.

The Zelda games are not my thing, never played, but they are excellently regarded.

And if you got the Switch Online package, remember that there are included downloadable emulators for NES, SNES, and Gameboy included with the base subscription. These have tons of games that look and play great.

2 Likes

That’s a great list! many thanks @adlabs6 !

Yeah, I’m looking at that- then at a few chores I must do as well… I will have to finish important stuff before I get that, or I will simply start those emulator up and vanish from earth.

Oh, how could I fail to mention Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I’ve played like 150 hours of that. Seems so simple. Such a kids game. Uhhh… :flushed:

But a massive potential point of contention with this game: IIRC, there can only be a single save file per console. So the kids would have to share a save, and cooperate on building the island. But IMO, this isn’t ideal, because so many story elements seem a “personalized”, and I’m not sure how that would work with several players on a single save. Worth checking into before buying, though.

But what a game. So relaxing, so chill. So ridiculous to sit and buy a fake coffee from a parrot in a cafe, then blow and sip…

:rofl:

2 Likes

Not entirely a remake, some things are different. Instead of battling the wild pokemon you just throw balls at them like in the mobile game, pokemon go. The pokemon also use candies to level up which were very hard to get in the original gameboy game. Still, I really loved it. Finished it with all 151 pokemon caught. So I +1 the recommendation if the kids are into pokemon.

2 Likes

My daughter is crazy for Kirby and the Forgotten Land. She also loved Paper Mario the Origami King.

I totally enjoyed both while hanging out with her, they are long games but manage to keep things interesting I thought.

Also I randomly bought ‘moving out’ after seeing it on sale and we have a blast playing that together.

edit to say looks like ‘moving out 2’ has a demo if you want to check it out

If anyone is into RPGs and Japanesey stuff, I highly recommend Okami. I think it’s cross-platform now, but the brush mechanics work well with the Switch touch screen.

The dialogue can get verbose and boring but the gameplay and artwork is lovely.

1 Like

OMG I have that on PC, it’s beyond HILARIOUS!

Oh wow! Core memory unlocked! I played that on the Wii and I loved it- couldn’t finish it though…

2 Likes