Notre-Dame in flames and crumbling

It has been quite often already anyway! European churches are structures that have gone through remodelling, redesign, rebuilding and a ton of fires and wars throughout the centuries. They are not static structures and often carry the marks of it. The Notre Dame will survive, a new bit of history to build for the generations to come!

Besides, things like the stained glass have been replaced and repaired often on a building like this, plenty of experts out there capable of bringing back it’s glory. I wouldn’t worry about this if you can!

May be a spurious news item but if it helps it would be very cool that a video game helped make the situation better -

4 Likes

Looks like mainly the 170 year old roof and spire. The fire seems to have started around the scaffolding, and a lot of the outside statues had been removed for renovations as well. Plus the Rose Window survives!

5 Likes

As a Christian, was happy to hear the Crown of Thornes survived the fire.
As a musician, glad to hear the pipe organ survived.

1 Like

When you see the photos or video of the fire the fact that anything survived is just amazing.

Wheels

1 Like

An example of our society at work… “Notre Dame Reconstruction Effort Attracts Nearly $1 Billion in Donations in 3 Days”… Just imagine if people actually tried to solve real problems like hunger or homelessness. This is a shame and a sad picture of our human race. IMO

Just a reminder that although you (the general you) may not agree with something, I would caution against posting judgements about feelings and opinions of other people. We can disagree but I caution against broad statements of disapproval with a group of people that marginalises them.

Well, it has to be brought up in a flightsim forum. Somebody is probably going to do a scenery update of Paris to reflect the current reality. I may go ahead with FSX since gMax is all I know. Rest assured, if I take on such a project it will be done with the care and respect that such a world-renown cultural landmark deserves. :slightly_smiling_face:

…but we can still poke fun at @Bogusheadbox for his F-111 infatuation? :grin:

2 Likes

That’s a moral imperative.

2 Likes

But we can keep the bundled forrest fire department water bombing mission though, right? :grin:

3 Likes
1 Like

Viva la France. It will survive. In some years it will be back.

There are few buildings that have been more studied or have been better documented over the centuries (literally). There was a laser scan done that a couple of years ago that was covered by Nat Geo that provides precision measurements down to a matter of millimeters (that’s less than 8/10’s of an inch for my fellow 'Mericans). The hardest part will be sourcing construction materials- finding available trees that can be cut to fabricate 12"x12" roof beams is going to be a difficult task.

1 Like

Also there is nothing wrong with adding new additions to put this generations mark on it! It has not been a static building over its life time!

5 Likes

Indeed!
I isn’t uncommon for old landmarks to have scars that reminds us that nothing is static and nothing is forever.

4 Likes

Yep, the spire tower on Notre-Dame was added in the 1850’s apparently. I like what they did with Le Louvre pyramid, and wouldn’t be surprised if they did something as bold. Half of France would be outraged but the other half would love the outrage just as much. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be France if there isn’t a proper outrage and protest. Those loveable rapscallion revolutionary rebels!

1 Like

I just think about what can’t ever be replaced. All that wood. But then again, this unites people

The trees those huge roof beams were made of 1500 years ago themselves at that time were at least 700 years old at that time. So those were trees that were saplings in the days that they first started building cities down in Iraq.

1 Like

Cheese and crackers!!! No way are they going to replace that. I dont think even the Amazon can provide that these days.

1 Like