Oh..hello there...(Harrier first impressions..)

So this morning (I know, I’m killing you guys that I don’t really dive in to all the sensors and weapons…it’s just time, time, time…responsibilities, 7-year old, family, house…etc…ya’ll know the drill…I’m not a 20-something single guy anymore) I wanted to check out the performance of the Harrier with different weight loads.

I don’t know what the specific land takeoff configurations are supposed to be - I suppose they are based on weight, runway length, and things like temperature. We’ll need a cheat sheet for that I’m guessing. Any-who, I loaded the Harrier with 20% fuel giving a very light weight of 15,529 lbs. versus the max weight of 31,085 lbs.

I went with the AUTO flap setting that showed 25 degrees and a nozzle setting of 50 degrees (I think that might be a standard “stop” for land short-takeoff…). I didn’t touch the trim, but I think it is supposed to be something like -2 perhaps…but I just left it as it. For a simple (non scientific) test, I set the same configuration for both takeoffs, did not hold brakes, and just advanced the throttle to 100% and let the plane fly itself out with no elevator input.

For the light weight of 15,529 lbs. we came off the ground after a ground roll of 669…at around 80 knots…

For the heavy weight test - I went with four external fuel tanks and a gun pod and had to bump internal fuel down a smidge to get close to the MTOW…settling in at 31,037 lbs. - same flap and nozzle configuration…

Are you guessing it was a longer takeoff roll? :thinking:

Sure enough…came off the ground at around 166 knots after a 8,263’ roll…

Obviously, both of those takeoff distances could be shorter with the use of some back pressure on the stick (and a headwind - I had that set to zero)…

EDIT - As a matter of fact, at the max weight, I tried feeding in some full aft elevator above around 120 and the plane “unstuck” around 150 knots (you could way over-rotate it if you kept that full aft elevator in though) at 5,650’…

5 Likes

So how about slow flight? At those same weights listed above (basically about 50% of MTOW and 100% MTOW) I started out at 10,000, flaps AUTO (they go to 25 degrees as you slow I guess) and just held my altitude as the airspeed decayed at idle power.

Results - at 31,000 lbs. the burble, followed quickly by a stall and left wing drop occurred at AOA 19.2, 146 knots

At 15,500 lbs. not much of a burble at all, and at the same speed where the MTOW stall occurred at 146 knots, AOA was only 9.5 degrees. Full stall and again a slight left wing drop occurred at 100 knots.

Is this right or perfect? Heck if I know…but it feels OK to me.

4 Likes

Hey I’m a 20-something single guy, do you need some assistance?

3 Likes

Sure…I can fly the Harrier WAY more if you can cook my kid breakfast, drive him to school, go rake leaves off the lawn, empty the dishwasher, fold some clothes, clean out the cat box, get the pool covered, split a bit of firewood…!

This sounds like a great collaboration! C’mon over!

7 Likes

Not exactly the terms I had been hoping for, but I accept. Come pick me up, and hey can we stop by christmas island on the way back?

7 Likes

I need Eagle Dynamics to extend one of these maps to Christmas Island…that’d be great to fly the Harrier there. Maybe we can hover over @Sine_Nomine’s boat and pick him up…

6 Likes

I haven’t yet figured out how to get the AWLS (All Weather Landing System) working. I found the file that controls the pre-set frequencies for the AWLS, and I have the proper TACAN entered…but I’m not really seeing any steering data on the HUD. I’m sure I’m probably doing something wrong…but I haven’t struck the right buttons to properly display the “needles”…

Haven’t had a chance to read the manual, but shot in the dark: What’s your HSI page look like? On the Hornet ILS et al are options you enable by selecting them on the HSI.

Yeah, there is a selection on the left MFD to choose between TCN, AWLS, and WPT…but that didn’t seem to change me to AWLS…

6 Likes

Is the NAVFLIR not working yet? Haven’t seen anyone ripping through the canyons at night yet.

I don’t know - I’m not sure how to equip or turn it on. There is this old video…but I don’t know how representative it is of the current state of the module…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1FkZcOR4Dc_LTBCOVpkZWpHTDA/view?usp=drivesdk

I’d do a fancy snip and whatever, but I’m time pressed and this is my phone. AWLS procedure begins on page 602

2 Likes

I did find the NAVFLIR controls…broke out the flashlight… :smiley:

5 Likes

8 Likes

@BeachAV8R give us a heat check! Not an extended review, I know that’s coming, but you have been flying it quite a bit today -

Just a one or two sentence shot at where it sits so far. Really fun? Systems Meaty? Does it have that “One more go” itch? Where does it sit so far in the A-10, KA-50 et al pantheon?

1 Like

Looks pretty cool. This thing looks like it has enough stuff to keep me busy for a while. Just hope they nail the sounds.

It is definitely unique and fun. I don’t know enough about it yet to really comment on how deep and thorough the systems modeling is. It definitely brings you back again and again - and I can see how this will be a lot of fun for people like me that are more interested in A2G then A2A. It feels like a fixed wing hunter/killer and that is kind of how I hope some of the campaigns that are made for it are…close air support type stuff where you are dropping around friendlies…and FARPs that are set up close to the action.

I only just tried dropping some bombs an hour ago - loaded up some high drag bombs but I still haven’t figured out the interval settings because they mostly seem to be all coming off at the same time. I need to bust out the manual and get to studying…

12 Likes

I just made that second to last one my wallpaper…

2 Likes

Quantity to one?