On the Pros and Cons of Using Facebook to Distribute Videos

What, we’re all too good for MySpace now?

Just click “approve”

Y’all have waaaay too much free time.

I’ve been contemplating deleting my FB account for months now. (Not deactivating, but completely deleting). I started using FB to basically brag about the Pitts. I would show off videos of me being this great pilot who does his first outside loop or that great dad who takes his family to Venice or the model citizen who donates to the victims of a tsunami. The more I contemplate social media, the more I loathe the fraudulent behavior of most users like myself. “Fraudulent” because we want to be not just “liked” but respected, even envied. Not everyone is like that of course. And for those people, social media is a valuable tool. Why haven’t I deleted my account yet? Because my 85 yo mom really depends on FB to keep track of the rest of us. She doesn’t mind that I am a showoff and a fraud. I am her son and she loves this stuff. I can’t quite force myself to walk away.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering doing the same thing for a while now- I’ve been laying pretty low on social media in general the last year, and I think I’ll completely get rid of that account in the very near future.

Apparently “Lawyer up, Hit the Gym, Disable Facebook” is the mantra of divorce in the 21st Century.

1 Like

You should definitely close your FB account. Then open a website. And write stuff and post pictures. Err…wait a minute.

LOL.

The good news is (and I don’t have a FB account - but Mudspike is definitely my social media fix) - even if I had only one user reading stuff I write, I’d still do it. It IS my hobby.

But getting to your point…there was an interesting article I read a few months back about the FB phenomenon and how it encourages people to put only their best foot forward. But really, how is that any different than how you are around friends and most family usually anyway? Most of us aren’t totally candid in our public persona…some are closer than others though. Any-who…I think you are fine…let Mom keep up with your comings and goings and be proud of her boy. That’s enough to make it worth it.

3 Likes

To stay on point, I see nothing but con for distributing content via FaceBook. FaceBook is a massively powerful corporation that as its business model must monopolize people’s time in order to sell them more stuff. Why be part of that?

1 Like

Been off Facebook for 3 years, don’t feel like I’ve missed anything. I talk to my friends over text or phone calls. No need to see what they ate for dinner or how awesome they are.

1 Like