OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

:nerd_face: on
This should result in the same number of pixels as DCD PD 1.0 and SteamVR 50%, due to DCD PD being quadratic in number of pixels:
0.5 x 0.5 x 2.0 = 0.5

There may be some slight deviations with margins, but I’d really recommend to just move one of the pixel sliders only, since it is much eadier to see what you are doing then. The SteamVR one is more precise.

Back on topic
I have my SS resolution set to about 60%, I also find I don’t need much more. And with AMD FSR enabled, the framerate is the same as at 50%.

2 Likes

I know. But it seems to move the workload from CPU to GPU, because it seems faster but with equal picture quality.

1 Like

An update to this came out recently:

My rig is just getting by (but I’m used to that) and I can’t say it made a big difference. Some observations:

nVidia 1080, 8GB, Reverb G-2, OS as de-bloated/clean as I can get it. DCS Settings low/medium. OpenXr config untouched, at defaults straight from the zip file.

1. DCS seems to be map-dependent on some things, see below
  2. Clouds on less than Ultra looked not great. So I turned up my clouds to Ultra. On Syria it looks fine, with no significant FPS loss. On the NTTR map though they still looked a little ragged in some situations.
  3. MFD’s not quite as clear but workable.

Too many combos to test this right now but if you had success with this previously (Alpha version, top of this thread) then maybe worth a shot.

EDIT: From the d/l page (don’t know if this was here for the alpha):

“Note that, unlike DLSS, FSR is not an anti-aliasing solution. Any aliasing and shimmering edges present in the original image will not be fixed by FSR. As such, the final image quality of FSR depends a lot on the particular game you are using it with. AMD specifically advises that FSR should be used in conjunction with the highest-quality anti-aliasing setting a game has to offer. In the case of VR games, that means enabling MSAA if it is available, or else TAA. You may also want to experiment with turning off any sort of post-processing effects in the games, as some of these should ideally run after FSR, but with this plugin will run before it and so may negatively affect the image quality.”

1 Like

A new update with the added Nvidia Scaler.

3 Likes

So I am not sure but does a FSR implementation already exist for non VR users? Haven’t found a clear answer yet.

I don’t think so, mainly because it’s an upscaler, so it needs some sort of support to go from the low game resolution to the high resolution that’s upscaled. Things like Reshade run effects but I am not sure if they can do things like upscale. Using FSR with an OpenVR driver lets the device ask for and output different resolutions easily, but for 2D I’m not sure how that would work.

AMD open sourced the algorithm with the hope that developers would add it to games as an option. A few like GTA5 have injectors etc to make it work, but things like DOTA2 and Black Desert ship with it.

The Nvidia 496.76+ driver has a way to apply their very similar upscaler to any game without changes. They offer new resolutions to pick in-game (like a psuedo monitor resolution) and then it outputs it to native res using the scaler (plus with the performance benefit). Info on that here - Nvidia Image Scaler

Yes, Assetto Corsa Competizione has it and yields me a lovely 10 extra frames! Hence I was curious if DCS did too given that the 2.7 release caused quite the performance drop.

1 Like

For the longest time I haven’t fiddled with DCS, so on the eve of the big patch I’ve got the inkling.

The latest version of this mod (v2 link in OP) is great with DCS. Using the Nvidia Image Scaler (remember, it works on AMD and Nvidia, it’s just an algorithm) and it seems to improve DCS performance by about 20% in VR. Here’s my bin\openvr_mod.cfg DCS settings:

{
  "fsr": {
    // enable image upscaling through AMD's FSR or NVIDIA's NIS
    "enabled": true,

// if enabled, uses NVIDIA's Image Scaling instead of the default
    // AMD FidelityFX SuperResolution. Both algorithms work similarly, but produce
    // somewhat different results. You may want to experiment switching between the
    // two to determine which one you like better for a particular game.
    "useNIS": true,

// Per-dimension render scale. If <1, will lower the game's render resolution
    // accordingly and afterwards upscale to the "native" resolution set in SteamVR.
    // If >1, the game will render at its "native" resolution, and afterwards the
    // image is upscaled to a higher resolution as per the given value.
    // If =1, effectively disables upsampling, but you'll still get the sharpening stage.
    // AMD presets:
    //   Ultra Quality => 0.77
    //   Quality       => 0.67
    //   Balanced      => 0.59
    //   Performance   => 0.50
    "renderScale": 0.8,

// tune sharpness, values range from 0 to 1
    "sharpness": 0.9,

// Only apply FSR/NIS to the given radius around the center of the image.
    // Anything outside this radius is upscaled by simple bilinear filtering,
    // which is cheaper and thus saves a bit of performance. Due to the design
    // of current HMD lenses, you can experiment with fairly small radii and may
    // still not see a noticeable difference.
    // Sensible values probably lie somewhere between [0.2, 1.0]. However, note
    // that, since the image is not spheric, even a value of 1.0 technically still
    // skips some pixels in the corner of the image, so if you want to completely
    // disable this optimization, you can choose a value of 2.
    // IMPORTANT: if you face issues like the view appearing offset or mismatched
    // between the eyes, turn this optimization off by setting the value to 2.0
    "radius": 0.5,

// if enabled, applies a negative LOD bias to texture MIP levels
    // should theoretically improve texture detail in the upscaled image
    // IMPORTANT: if you experience issues with rendering like disappearing
    // textures or strange patterns in the rendering, try turning this off
    // by setting the value to false.
    "applyMIPBias": true,

// If enabled, will visualize the radius to which FSR/NIS is applied.
    // Will also periodically log the GPU cost for applying FSR/NIS in the
    // current configuration.
    "debugMode": false
  }
}

I’m with SteamVR at 100% with Motion Reprojection off on a Reverb G2 and a 3080 Ti. It tends to be above 11ms, but lots of headroom in terms of framerate.

I really like it.

3 Likes

Now that I’ve got me one of those Thirty-Eighty-Tee-Eye things…

2 Likes

ff, do you use Reshade for OpenVR concurrently?

Not sure the FSR App has been covered here, but here is it. Can make it a touch easier to experiment with.

2 Likes

I have it hooked in still but unticked the VR shader I was using mainly for sharpening. I wanted to try the sharpen on the NIS side alone. I could use it for saturation though and will play with it later. You run both?

I tried that last night and at the time thought it overkill. At least in the Tomcat. I ended up toggling off Reshade. I think that you might be good with NIS only, but like you, want to tweak it a bit.

Don’t think I tried this after reinstalling every little one and zero I had on my computer…
So, is this installer the way to go now…?

I haven’t used it, but the set-up is just dropping in the replacement openvr_api.dll (rename your existing one) and putting a openvr_mod.cfg text file in your DCS bin directory. e.g. D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\bin - so just the two things.

1 Like

Just… It’s me you’re helping! :wink:

A peek at that installer, it seems handy if you have a lot of Steam games and you’re not sure where to place the files. If your DCS is stand-alone I’m not sure it helps a lot.

It did remind me to perhaps try this puppy on XP11 though - it should work nicely there as well.

2 Likes

Hm… Well…?

Capture

Edit. Google tells me that I need to install Visual C++ to fix it…

2 Likes

update run times

1 Like

Last time I timed it, I did 10Km just under an hour… I’m faster on skis, though.

Not what you meant? :wink:

Shouldn’t windows update take care of this…?

1 Like