PC Upgrade 2020

I’ve been upgrading and maintaining an i7 920 for almost ten years! I decided that, after chasing the FPS dragon in DCS and IL-2 (among other games), it’s finally time to upgrade.

Upgrade specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i5-9600K (w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler)

• Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard

• G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 (CL16 16-18-18-38)

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2 NVMe

Amazon LGA 1151 List

And, so it begins…

Please, SMASH that like button, and SUBSCRIBE to my unboxing YouTube channel! (not really)

Hey look, it’s Nakatomi Plaza!

Out with the old, and in with the new. I’m not gonna lie, this was quite emotional.

“And I thought they smelled bad on the the outside!”

This is where one thing leads to another, and I spend WAY too much time cleaning under the desk!

This is my collection of (internal) upgrades that will carry over to the new system.

IT’S . . . ALIVE!

And, my least favorite part of any upgrade…

Final inspection. Everything looks good.

Everything is as it should be. And MUCH, MUCH cleaner!

Final (internal) specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i5-9600K (w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler)

• Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard

• G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 (CL16 16-18-18-38)

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2 NVMe

• Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1TB

• Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 (8GB)

• Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5

• Intel SSD 530 240GB

• Intel SSD 730 240GB

• WD Caviar Black 1TB

• CORSAIR TX850M Power Supply

What you don’t see, is that this was an almost two week work in progress! Free time is limited, and I spent way more time cleaning and working on the cable management under the desk. It was worth it, but I’m glad it’s (mostly) over. A few more upgrades are in the near future, but that’s a story for another time…

20 Likes

Nice! Love the humour that you have in there and, yeah, installing windows (and the rest of the software) is always the most tedious part! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats on everything working! Let us know how well it runs :smiley:

I’m still in the process of benchmarking and re-configuring, and things look good! IL-2 and DCS are my focus at the moment, and while IL-2 has been the most responsive, DCS is reluctantly cooperating. I’m seeing the biggest difference in games that require a good CPU (obviously), so that’s no surprise. Display is locked in at a max refresh rate of 75, and I’m locking the FPS @ 60, which is a very achievable FPS for almost everything I’ve tested so far. I’ll come back with more details as we progress.

delete

I was clarting around looking for improvement in the latest OB, I applied an overclock using the mobo software while the game was running. from 28 FPS on the deck of the carrier to a stable 45 with one button click. The latest processors are built to overclock and you won’t be doing that new board justice if you dont crank it up a notch :slight_smile: I took it to 4.9 on all cores as the 5.1 profile may have baulked at starting with software running

1 Like

What’s the speed of that little guy?

Gratz on a new system.

Thanks, everything feels really good! The reported R/W speeds are “3,500/3,300MB/s”, Windows boot up is almost instantaneous as compared to the Intel 320 SSD I was using w/ the previous build, which was already relatively fast. I don’t have any actual numbers, but I’ll stop watch the Windows boot up when I get home from work. It feels less than 30 seconds, maybe less.

1 Like

you can use this free CrystalDiskMark software to test speed.

This. Gaming FPS is very closely tied to individual clock speeds, at least at this juncture of PC gaming. An overclocked i5 can get you the gaming performance of an i9 or anything AMD has. Also extremely easy to do with the latest mobo’s.

I would argue if you are only gaming on a PC, an i5 k chip will get the best performance at a cooler temperature than anything out there. Some of the 10th gen chips are running 6c/12t at +5.1 ghz with great thermals. You can have 64 cores and get stomped in gaming by an i5 running at that speed.

1 Like

I’ve got an MSI board and a 9700K. I went into this thing with high overclocking expectations, even including this monstrous Noctua cooler. So easy, they even put an “overclock me” button on the board.

Problem is all their built in tools also max all fans. The thing runs 100% silent at factory speeds and 100% noisy obnoxious with any overclock.

There are other tools out there I looked at briefly, but these are so much more granular. I tweaked them to a point I thought should be good, but some apps became unstable.

My personal takeaway, sadly to this point, more trouble than it’s worth. The only game that doesn’t run hecka fast with a 2070 is DCS, and that one runs well enough.

2 Likes

Here’s the CPU-Z information:

2020-06-10 (1)

2020-06-10 (2)

2020-06-10 (3)

And, here’s the SAMSUNG utility benchmark for the 970 EVO Plus:

1 Like

One reason the fans probably go crazy is the stupid amount of voltage the factory settings give the cpu, especially the ez OC options. Advice I’ve used in the last few builds is to find my chip on this page https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics, and then set the voltage and multiplier to whatever they got 100% of their chips to. This is a great starting point. You could leave it there and be done, or try to squeeze a few more drops out. Really fool proof. There is tons of little tips and tricks to help dial it in.

1 Like

Brennus you should try putting that multiplier to 49 or 50 with 1.35v and see what it does. Would be a healthy performance increase and basically give the gaming power of a i9.

Ah fans, the reason for my water-cooled loop. There is a fan profiler ships as part of the same software and you should be able to independently set them, check temps of course. Asus errs on the side of high volts in the software tweak. You can get voltage a lot lower

That’s a handy link. Thanks.

1 Like

PC Upgrade 2020 v1.5:

9 Likes

Tower upgrade?

So, I was holding off on a new ATX case, and I was gonna wing it with the AMD RX 580 for as long as I could. I finally decided to go with a Fractal Design C, and I also swapped out the RX 580 with a GTX 1660Ti I was using in my HTPC. It’s a solid case, much more compact © than I expected, especially compared to my old P180. But, it was relatively easy to work with, considering the compact design. And, the RX 580 wasn’t doing the upgrade any justice, and I just couldn’t justify another $300 for a new GPU, so I decided to swap it out with the GTX 1660Ti for a ~30% performance increase. Also, the power draw on the NVIDIA GPU is much better by comparison, so that’s gonna help keep the thermals down. I’m satisfied now with the upgrade as a whole, and I’m just waiting patiently to properly upgrade the GPU in the near future.

1 Like

Looks clean and tidy in there, good work!

1 Like
© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ