Pets of Mudspike

My wife and I have had many little ones over our 38 years… all dogs go to heaven, pretty sure cats do too - or maybe back to their home planet :sunglasses:

But what I want to say is, you will see your little loved ones again from time to time in your dreams! RIP

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for a good outcome @Navynuke99

Erika and I had a scare a couple of weeks ago with our 9 year old Lab/Beagle Nigel. She noticed that he was unusually lethargic and could barely walk. She decided to take him to the vet rather than go in to work and see how he was doing later in the day. That was the first decision that saved his life that day. It turned out that he had a mass on his spleen that had ruptured, so he was bleeding out internally. The vet painted a bleak picture, saying that there was maybe a 20% chance of a good outcome even if they went ahead with the surgery (they suspected advanced stage cancer), and that she needed to make a decision quickly. If Erika had waited until after work he would probably have been too far gone to help.

This all happened on a morning I was flying. Erika didn’t want to tell me something that distracting when I was about to fly, so the first I heard about it was when I got on the ground and called her before driving home from the airport.

Fast forward to today, and Nigel is recovering well and expected to make a complete recovery (minus his spleen but there was no cancer thankfully). We were very fortunate because Erika could easily, and justifiably have made the call to euthanize based on the initial information given by the vet. He was very lucky.

The vet bill was eye watering, but I told Nigel I would take it out of his college fund :wink: .

Nigel:

10 Likes

Sorry for your loss, Froggie and Victor. The best and worst part about having pets is how much you end up getting attached to them.

4 Likes

No truer words. I have woken many a morning remembering dreams about one of them over the years.

Wheels

4 Likes

So sorry @Navynuke99. It is a hard phase of our relationship with our pets when we have to let them go.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that. The Mudspike family seems to have lost quite a few furry family members recently. :pensive:

3 Likes

Thanks Paul. Yes this thread has taken a bit of a sad turn lately.

Fingers crossed for some new additions to the mudspike extended furry family

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

Our lab who went last week, doing what she loved to do.

Henry the 10 month old Weimaraner

8 Likes

That fella is going to run and run. :slight_smile: Looked after a friend’s Weimaraner for a weekend once and it had enough energy to power a city. Needed a rest afterwards. Beautiful dogs.

4 Likes

That is a beautiful animal! What a colour!

1 Like

We’d said we wouldn’t have another dog, but realising our lab was ill we got him as a rescue. He’s a lovely dog with a nice temperament.

He’s currently doing around 5 miles a day off road behind the bike, then two long walks and still has enough energy to run round the garden. He needs this otherwise we can’t train him.

I can’t ride at the minute after a mountain bike crash, so tiring him out duties is falling to mrs keets. But i’m hoping to take him round the trails in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Adopted this sweet little girl from a local humane society on Monday. She’s about 7 months old and was turned in in the wake of the flooding here in Nebraska this spring. She’s had her tail broken at some point but it doesn’t seem to bother her. Fun part so far is trying to get are other two cats to play nice lol.

11 Likes

Just got back from the vet a few minutes ago. Boca had been having a hard time breathing, and hadn’t eaten anything since maybe Tuesday. She’s been hiding under beds and tables, and hasn’t jumped up on the bed in almost a week to demand pets in the middle of the night (one of her favorite pastimes). It’s obvious she’s lost weight in the last little while, and when I opened a can of tuna, her most favorite thing in the world, she didn’t even bat an eye.

X-rays came back, and the vet’s suspicions were confirmed - there was fluid filling all of one lung and half the other, as well as a large tumor in one of them. She told us she could attempt to drain the fluid, but it would only give her a couple more weeks tops, more likely a couple of days.

Boca was 15 years old, and had had a very good, long life. It was obvious she was in pain, and we couldn’t bear the thought of prolonging it any further.

Dr. Girlfriend held her on her lap and stroked her head as the vet injected the drugs, and Boca slipped away quietly and swiftly. Prince has seemed to be aware that something is up, but I don’t know yet if he’s realized that she’s completely gone.

She was a good kitty, and we already miss her. Especially Dr. Girlfriend, who found her as a kitten.

13 Likes

Ugh. Worst thing ever. Been there. I hated it.

Sorry for your loss…

Very sorry to hear that :pensive: .

Man…that brings back so many feeling about losing some of our pets over the last few years. I still miss my 19 year old Retro the cat every day. And then there was Maxton…he just disappeared one day. That one is particularly tough because we got no closure on him…I pray that he got hit by a car and that it was fast and painless…I can’t bear the thought of him being killed or maimed by coyotes.

You’d think the pain of it all would ween us off growing attached to more animals…but as I sit here, I still have two indoor cats, one indoor/outdoor one, and three outdoor ones. I do a head count each night and morning…and I know one day the numbers won’t add up and I’ll be devastated, but the good outweighs the bad by a large margin.

I’m glad you were able to be there for the last…that is important for pet and human alike.

5 Likes

Dude you running a cattery?

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. :frowning:

Sorry for the loss of your pet.