RAZBAM F-15E

I’m part of what I suspect is the Silent Majority - Single Player .

MP is okay sometimes, for some things, but is less convenient for me.

I tend to prefer Air To Ground stuff anyway with complete, fully fleshed out, missions that are more a simulation of the real world as I understand it to be (past or present), from start to finish - and are dynamic. DCS is sorely lacking in support in this area, thus I get my “combat mission fix” via [a lot of] scripting.

I can’t find the exact clip I want but this one from “Hozer” is more representative of my leanings:

“…it passes for ‘fun’…”

It should be easier to structure a consistent and authentic experience if we had better tools relating to the AI. “Jello” made a point (in the clip I can’t find right now) when addressing this and the difficulty that was going to be demonstrated. To paraphrase: “Yes, it is hard to do these things correctly in the real world, so practice. Get good. OTW, this one may not be for you”. It was refreshing to hear that.

I suppose everyone is looking for slightly different ‘stimuli’. The spawn, shoot/die, re-spawn…lather, rinse, repeat…thing gets old to me quick. And I don’t need to go online to do this (just go 1 V many with the AI). I do understand the appeal however from both a game play and coding perspective.

My only real gripe with MP: It appears to take away time from coding AI (and yes, I understand how much work this is).

I just want my Bot Wingman to attack an arbitrary target - the one I’m looking at. I’ve gotten this to work in a very limited fashion but the bits to really make it go just aren’t provided to me from the sim: the code demonstrates functions A and B to accomplish this but are restricted to different contexts.

While I’m here…

@bignewy I can provide more detailed observations on the above if you have the time. I know how busy you must be and understand. But, in essence:

NOTE: They may do the math some other way but this appears to be a triangle engine.

Somewhere in the code you cast a ray (unit vector if you will); you determine the intersection of that ray with the terrain (triangle); find the nearest unit to that point (with some constraints); highlight it (for verification to player); click F10 | Wingman | Engage | “Hit that”. To everyone else this should sound similar to the process used with the JHMCS (or T-Pod, etc), so this indicates the tools are there, just not the context - arbitrary visual [eyeball sensor] targeting of, in this case, a ground unit.

Cockpit Visual Recon Mode gets me close - but unless I predefine the group/unit they will go after something else (or nothing).

Oh, and thanks for the work. It is appreciated.

4 Likes

Some interesting answers to my question of “how many single players in DCS are there?” For the record, I am basically “only single player” myself for a couple of reasons. One, I’m on “Stable Release” of DCS and very few people play the simulation with that particular version. Most if not all are on “open beta.” When “Stable Release and Open Beta” versions have parity, I will then usually try and catch a couple of online sorties on the public servers or with other groups if I can. But mostly, it’s single player and the other half of my time is in the mission editor. I’m probably 50% time flying and the other 50% with my nose in the mission editor. When you play a lot of single player, you learn the mission editor very well and go quite deep into its intricacies and details. I love that editor; ED has done so very well bringing it along through the years. I honestly feel there is nothing I cannot do or a mission I cannot make with it.

Two, another reason I don’t get into too much multiplayer is I like to play in a much more organized way that what you generally run into on the public servers. I like to learn one aircraft at a time, delve deep into it and fly it for a while as I “study” it and create missions in the editor for it like it was meant to be flown in real life. Most people I run into online have their favorite and that’s all they fly so I might find myself online in a flight with one aircraft being a Tomcat, the other a Hornet, another a Mirage-2000 etc., you get my drift. That just doesn’t cut it for me. I would like to find people who would like to settle for one aircraft for a time and learn about it, fly it together as it was meant to be flown. We would start out with just basic formation practice, enjoy learning the aircraft and its systems, performance, logistics etc. and progress as a team against the AI in battles I or we would build in the mission editor. I find not too many people want to do that. I also find not many people want to touch the mission editor either so it’s pretty much single player for me.

You and I seem to want the same thing. You are probably on Open Beta though, right? :wink:

Time availability is indeed an issue. Real life will always take precedence over our gaming. Still, don’t give up on it. I myself am not looking for a big group, just 3-4 people who like me just want to fly as a team and learn the various aircraft in the sim.

Sounds again like me. I’m not a big script writer but I can vary my missions with the basic tools in the editor. I’ve found myself more in the Air-2-Ground area as well. I love the planning of “how are we going to hit that target” with the particulars of the aircraft I’m studying at the moment. Historically, what did it do well, what did it not do well, how was it used in real life, and can I simulate it? That interview you showed us was very good. Exactly the type of stuff I like and am looking for.

I don’t know. Any of you single player people want to dip your toes in the water with some online teamwork, learning the particular aircraft together and just plain having fun with a small group of aviation enthusiasts, send me a private message. Maybe we can all work something out.

7 Likes

Does she ever act as your RIO? :smiley:

3 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

Online squadrons can be pretty fun at that, given you actually find people you like to spend time with. I’ve had very good experiences, and, when everything aligns and you play an organized and intricate mission with a bunch of people it can be magical.

But online gaming always require you to keep your expectations in check… And adding the social component to an already demanding hobby can be tiresome.

7 Likes

Please make a post on our official forum with a short as possible track replay and your explanation and wishes and I will ask the team about it.
Thanks
Bignewy

8 Likes

:eyes:
Another Celebrity Drop in!! :face_with_monocle:Hmmm…Nice

3 Likes

Thanks for response. It’s functioning as designed - it’s the design that, to the best of my knowledge, is missing the feature. A related search goes back several years.

I’ll be happy to do another.

Thanks again

1 Like

Preparing for the Mudhen release for DCS

6 Likes
2 Likes

Probably reading too much into it and seeing shapes/ faces in the clouds, but I like the way this guy thinks…

2 Likes

:eyes: :thinking: :grin:

1 Like

:santa: :santa: :santa:
I Love It!!!

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/MAthBRpZ-Qo

Video is now private.

2 Likes

He must of got too much flak for pulling a circus stunt :rofl:

2 Likes

Airforce Gear vs Navy Gear.

The F-15Es Gear would buckle on impact,
Shoot look at how easy the F-35Bs Gear collapses in the hover crash video.

1 Like

I can only imagine the comment section…

1 Like

I saw the thumbnail and wondered WTH! I can only imagine the flack the op got that prompted removal of the video.

1 Like