RIP Neil Peart

RIP Neil Peart, same loss day as David Bowie too, 4 years ago

Music is my life, only got to see Rush once back on R30 tour, filled my boots of course but even when Rush called it a day I still hoped there would be one more tour.

Not to be … I guess Rush bowed out at the top of their game and never descended into mediocrity the way some bands do.

No more Mr Neil Peart, no more Rush.

RIP Neil

8 Likes

This news really broke my spirit today.
What a loss. :sob:

1 Like

Its hard to come to terms with the news still :frowning:

2 Likes

:sob:

3 Likes

Aw man that really sucks. RIP

1 Like

Drum on, you glorious man.

2 Likes

Rush may well be the only thing my sister was ever able to turn me on to. A 3 piece rock band is only possible with a KICK-A** drummer. Angels are about to learn some rhythm.

4 Likes

Rush was the first band that I really got into. I was in the 6th grade when Moving Pictures came out. My parents had just gotten a divorce and Rush was one of my escapes ( so was Lord of the Rings – and dirt bikes). I had a very good stereo build that my oldest brother left with us when he went away to college. I’d plug the headphones in and just be carried away: journeys through black holes, racing through a mountain landscape in a futuristic world, exploring magical caves… Neal Peart (apparently I’ve been mispronouncing his name for the last 39 years) was not just a phenomenal drummer, but also a master lyricist.

Sad news, but how lucky are we to have had such a man share his talent with us?

“Well weathered leather
hot metal and oil
the scented country air
sunlight on chrome
the blur of the landscape
every nerve aware”

2 Likes

This loss hit me hard as well. I may have memorized every line of every song from ‘Signals’ to ‘Roll the Bones’. We got seats on the floor for ‘Hold Your Fire’ Tour, and I think we were about 15 rows back for ‘Half the World’.

I read Neil’s books, especially the one about his ride across the Ivory Coast with a kid guide who very well could have been myself at the time. Neil was one of those people I would have invited to a ‘fantasy dinner party’.

Every time I take off as a passenger in an airplane, the lines “I look down into the million houses, and wonder what you’re doing tonight”, echo in my head.

I’ll make a $21.12 donation to the Glioblastoma Research folk, as I’ve lost three people now from this horrible, creeping, stealthy disease.

3 Likes
© 2019 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ