RotorX Helicopter Build Thread

You sure you haven’t ordered an Obutto gaming rig?

6 Likes

You sure you ordered the right kit? It looks more like one of these IMO. At least they sent you the front wheels. The rear wheels must be coming in a bigger box.

3 Likes

You had me until that part. :rofl:

3 Likes

You have Snap-on in Europe? I do need better tools. My “Milwaukee” brand ratcheting screw-driver from Home Depot is expensive but crap. The ratchet selector reverses direction under aggressive use. I’ve come close to throwing in the woods several times.

Wanna see an amazing tool?

I use this all the time. The Pitts is really hard to work on because workspaces are so tight. This little kit will let you turn a screw of any type with only an 1.5” clearance behind the head. And if you are an incurable tool nerd, it is so well-made that you really just want to take it out of the box and admire it. Unless one is into guns, there’s not a lot of quality stuff made in America anymore. This thing is quality in spades.

4 Likes

Yes we do…and i have a serious problem

Even though i detest their spanners. God awful. But they are so handy and thin.

7 Likes

Holy Hell! That’s an impressive problem that I REALLY wish I had. I love how you’ve personalized your stuff in true Mudspike fashion!

1 Like

Covered in crap and in need of a through cleaning. Every time i do this, something catastrophic happens to either a lorry, plane or car and i end up filthy dirty and back in debt to the snap on company.

Thats only 1 of my Toolboxes…:sob:

2 Likes

Oooof. I know how expensive that stuff gets.

2 Likes

The diagnostic computer nearly broke me and even the multi meter is massively over priced.

Ive stopped now. I bought a combination set of 3/8 sockets and spanners from draper and they are so much better than snap on.

Still, nice to have i suppose…

Back to helicopters sorry to derail

2 Likes

What is it they say about great minds? :smile: My one and only cherished Snap-on tool. It’s probably 20 years old and some of the bits are getting worn. But it still runs like a champ.

1 Like

Yeah it’s everywhere. We got a mix of tools at work but our ratchets are Snap On, definitely worth geting a 1/4 and 1/2 ratchet set plus extensions. Though check craigslist/facebook marketplace first because a lot of people sell old tools like that in the USA.

Also @Victork2 @chipwich YOU BOTH HAVE THE GOOD RATCHET SCREWDRIVER!

At work they are replacing it with another one from a different brand, just not as good unfortunately. That Snap-On one is indestructible

EDIT: If you want good screwdrivers go with Wera, if you need good pliers go with Knipex.

4 Likes

I have the old style one which is absolutely amazing and the new one which has a "bayonet’ cap instead of the old screw on cap and its utter crap. When you really get twisting on it the cap pops off and spills the bits everywhere. I never use it near engines for that reaso

1 Like

I bought three pieces from them and was surprised… how expensive they are :slight_smile:

but think they will last

It looks slightly less like a dragster and slightly more like a helicopter now.

10 Likes

Bravo. One day on and she’s already beginning to look like a flying machine.

2 Likes

I have DIY Fever now!!
I WANNA BUILD!!

3 Likes

Very interesting thread, including the tool discussion :grinning:

3 Likes

They say “measure twice; cut once”. I measured two dozen times. I finally was happy with the lateral and longitudinal square tube angles and it was time to drill. There is no correcting a bad drill hole. At least no way that I know of. So when I finally got around to drilling, I was a wreck! All worked out.

These two obviously will no be able to cohabitate in this half-hangar forever.

9 Likes

erect

:wink:

1 Like

I love this :rofl:

1 Like