Russian booster failure - emergency landing

2 astronauts safe after Soyuz rocket forced to make emergency landing

Read that this morning! Glad that they are safe!

Looks like a failure during Stage 1 separation. Crew re-entered on a ballistic trajectory - which probably isn’t a fun ride - but they are alive and well.

Rocket science is hard.

That was probably exciting.

That was close. Luckily all the backup systems functioned as they were meant to and they made it back.
Yes, that’s why it was such a great idea to decide to retire the shuttle in 2003. :roll_eyes: It’s a mere 15 years later and we still have no replacement, and the only alternative has been getting less reliable over the last decade.

Soyuz was always the “not flashy, but reliable” older brother of the setup and now issues are cropping up more and more often. This is a major malfunction the likes of which haven’t been seen in decades. Their QC is getting worse, not better. I don’t know if it’s a result of funding or personnel turnover or what, but the trend is notable. We’re now looking at the possibility of the ISS going uncrewed for the first time in 18 years.

The problem is that NASA has always taken too much direction from the very top, with its rotating set of leaders, and can’t properly plan on the time scales it takes to do something like replace the shuttle.

Every time a new administration comes in, they reverse the course of the previous one to sow confusion and destroy morale. NASA needs its own version of the Pentagon to set policies and develop programs. The White House doesn’t tell the Pentagon they need a new tanker or they need to recapitalize the sub fleet. They tell them what the military needs to be able to do and the Pentagon figures out they need a new tanker and to recap the subs to do that. NASA should have a civilian counterpart of that. Give it a mission but don’t tell it the exact manner in which to do it. Of course, with disagreement over whether we want to just hang out in orbit, return to the Moon, go to an asteroid, or go to Mars, even a simple mission statement is going to cause havoc.

We need to stop the White House being able to micromanage NASA if we want to get anywhere. The amount spent on the shuttle’s so-called successor has now been enough to have flown another 2 dozen missions if not more and at least then we would’ve had more than we’ve got right now.

Flight footage and commentary:

That tiny pin just a few degrees out of alignment…caused all that. Pretty incredible that kind of thing doesn’t happen more often. Nuts.

As I learned when I worked for the 45th Space Wing…don’t be surprised when a rocket fails. Be AMAZED when one succeeds.

I don’t even want to know the forces those guys experienced in that ship. That looked insanely violent.

I thought they said it was 3.5 g’s or so, but maybe I’m thinking of shuttle launches…

During the abort, there were significant G’s experienced and the descent was a lot steeper than the regular landing of the capsule, so there was some significant violence that was experienced. Reports suggest that up to 6.7G’s were felt: