Samsung Odyssey & Odyssey Plus News

I keep looking at my e-mail hoping for a “shipped” message. Currently still showing back-ordered. I’ll be sure to pop it out of the box the minute it arrives and post up a quick and dirty comparison between the Rift and the O+ using some similar shots (cockpit clarity, gauges, etc…) I’m pretty excited for this…

2 Likes

Lol I just did that before I read your comment. I think I remember reading something like “will ship after Nov 4th” before I placed the order. I cant find that anywhere now though. With all your articles they ought to send you a headset early so you can write some reviews.

That’d be great…but I’m small potatoes these days compared to the Twitchers and Tubers. Heck, I get most of my impressions from those faster content creators myself. I’m still old school, chew my food kind of slow with these things. The O+ and GTX 1080 were about the only two hardware things I adopted early.

But yeah…to your point - Samsung, move me to the top of the shipping list! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Still showing Back Ordered. It wasn’t supposed to ship until the 4th anyway…but I keep hoping I’ll see an update in my e-mail…

1 Like

Steve from VR Roundtable is going to be doing a stream on the O+ in about two hours from now (around 6PM EDT). I’ll be out with the kid doing the trick-or-treat thing…so I’ll miss it…

2 Likes

Am I going to need USB 3.0? I don’t think I have that (I have 2.0)…what are my options? I guess a PCIe board?

Or do I?

USB1

The Rift requires USB 3.0, so you already have it. Actually, you’ll need it less, as the Odyssey only uses one USB port versus the headset + number of sensors on the Oculus side.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m about 20 minutes through that video that streamed a couple hours ago. I’m at the point where the guy is railing against the fit of the O+ and lack of adjustments on it. He said he has a small head and an IPD of 61. I have a big head and an IPD of 68…so I wonder if it is a size/fit issue (I hope). Continuing to watch…

Part of some of his fit problems are related to his glasses. He states that WidmoVR wants to send him some prescription inserts. I will be ordering those immediately because I LOVE the ones I have in my Rift…

They are a bit painful to listen to, lots of ‘Fruit Ninja VR’ opinions.

Tip: put the youtube playback speed (in youtube settings) to 1.5, it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the Cliff Notes version of the video (put together by Reddit user Unikin):

Negatives:

• potential problems for people with smaller heads (rigid non flexible construction)

• problems for people wearing glasses (eyes not being close enough to screens)

• worse controlers than Rift (better than Vive though)

• possible outside light leakage

• image a bit softer than Rift/Vive (but details are not lost)

• minor god rays and concentric rings in bright scenes (but much less than Vive)

• cable too short (only 4m or so)

Positives:

• almost no visible SDE

• brighter than Rift but not too bright

• excellent colors and black level

• text readability good (better than Rift/Vive/PSVR)

• measured FOV wider than Rift (100 vs 90 degrees)

• audio loud and clean (bass on the weaker side though)

• installation a breeze

Some initial thoughts from Reddit user Vanilla_Jedi specifically related to flying the F/A-18 in DCS:

Screen:

I’ll jump right into the screen. It’s pretty freakin’ good. Almost too good. What do I mean? With the SDE (screen door effect) almost gone it unfortunately shows off the lower res settings of VR. Best analogy I can think of is cleaning a dirty car (SDE) and then realizing all the scratches (lower res textures) that were underneath. But honestly, that is a nit pick and it will make it hard to go back to my Rift.

Comfort:

I wear a larger hat size and it is tight firt on me. If you know that you have a larger melon :slight_smile: you might want to do a test fit at a local store. I’m in the US so the Microsoft store carries it. At least the one by me does. The comfort problem may cause me to return it. However, the screen is soo good to me it’s almost worth the headache.

EOM

Additional observations in this thread:

Later he states the minimum IPD setting is 63…hmm…but he states he uses 64 in the Rift…and 67 in the O+ because it looks best there…

The fit seems odd, but the apparently the Odyssey was always odd for that. You have to get the base quite low on the rear of your head, and for people coming from the Rift tend to wear it ‘too high’ or something…

2 Likes

Regarding usb compatibility and such, you can download the windows mixed reality app ahead of getting the actual headset, and it’ll check that your machine is “wmr ready” including checking driver compatibility.

For me for example, the usb3 port I was using had a driver that windows didn’t like, and took about 20 min of googling to find a fix.

1 Like

Yep, checker here - Windows Mixed Reality PC Check - Official app in the Microsoft Store

I’d probably need to pick up a Bluetooth adapter, as not sure if my motherboard even has that, or I disabled it.

I read somewhere that the Odyssey+ was shipped with a bluetooth adapter… not 100% sure on that.

Looks like I’m going to have to update Win10 to at least 1709 :frowning:
Windows Updates are the bane of my existence, especially at work.

Yeah, I remember reading that as well. Last info I saw was that the FCC certification for the SO+ Headset listed Bluetooth 5.0 in the unit. I also remember seeing an unboxing video of the Plus that mentioned the ‘controllers were already paired to the headset, which was nice.’.

So on balance I think it has it already at a guess. The store spec sheets (of course) list the old (wrong) specs.

1 Like
2 Likes