Samsung Odyssey & Odyssey Plus News

I’m am the saltiest of haters and even I cannot but marvel at the feeling of flying choppers in VR. I hope you have a blast with it :+1:

2 Likes

When you do get it set up, check out the DCS VR Mod as I’ve found it really helped the clarity of spotting and really helps framerate in DCS.

It’s interesting as a lot of advice you’ll see for setting Pixel Density in DCS will be different, in that ‘1.0’ would be the same as something like ‘1.5’ in the Rift/Vive (but of course it’s scaling it up and scaling it down again, because it can’t natively show that resolution in the panel).

One other thing is that the ‘fit’ of the headset is really important. The ‘sweet spot’ of the fresnel lens is unfortunately really important, so if turning your head moves your focal point out of that then things get fuzzier, and that’s often interpreted as a resolution issue when it’s more a ‘is it in the right place on my head’ issue.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how you find it. My local Microsoft store has one, and I am really tempted.

I will let you know when I have a vague idea but I just left on vacation when I decided to purchase. So it will be a few more weeks before I have my hands on it.

1 Like

I’ve been pretty happy with the Odyssey, although the fit that @fearlessfrog mentions is critical. In that regard, I bought the Gear VR headsets to try the lens swap mod as done by HTC Vive owners, but haven’t been brave enough to get medieval with an xacto knife.

2 Likes

I would love to try the Odyssey in comparison to the Rift. While I love the experience of VR, the visual quality keeps pulling me away from it.

1 Like

Customer service of vr-lens.eu / vroptician.com have replied to my request for Samsung Odyssey prescription lens adapters, saying they will be available in 6-8 weeks.

While there are many on the internet who wear their glasses underneath their Samsung Odyssey, my small IPD, large head and large glasses frame make this uncomfortable.

I am very glad that vroptician is doing this, as their lens adapters for Oculus and Vive seem to be much better than those of VR Lens Lab, according to every comparing review I have found.

1 Like

Looks like there’s a hardware refresh coming for this year on this already.

Some fancy ‘anti-SDE’ tech (I’m not sure this is going to help clarity in cockpits though?). A decent price and the comfort was always good - plus the WMD reprojection and support under Steam is pretty good:

2 Likes

Interesting. It sure does look comfy…

Samsung conference in November. There was an accidental listing showing it at ~$500 still. A downside for our European members is that because this is part of the Samsung Computer division, they don’t usually have plans to sell it outside Asia or North America. If in NA then it’ll be via the Microsoft stores, so at least people can try it out in-person in a shop.

So the Rift is currently 2160 x 1200 and the new Odyssey will be 2,880 x 1,600…am I reading that right?

It looks like the same resolution as the existing one, just with a overlay tech to reduce Screen Door Effect - perhaps some masking that reduces the black between pixels.

Samsung Odyessy 1 specs here, they just don’t say ‘per eye’ and make 2,880 / 2 - VR Headsets Comparison Summary 2018

I’m still more tempted by the Pimax 5k+ because of the resolution/FOV combo, but will be keen to see reviews of this one too.

1 Like

Party at @PaulRix’s house when he buys both…we can try all of them out…! @chipwich brings the beer!

2 Likes

@Freak mentioned that Odyssey 2.0 might have a cooling fan, but I don’t see any mention. That would be welcome. I mean they have them for much smaller FPV drone goggles, and IMO do a decent job keeping the eyeballs fresh and preventing fogging.

1 Like

I don’t think I did, I do think they redesigned the noseguard though (which I have been considering doing myself on the Odyssey v1, but haven’t had the guts yet to put the knife into it)

3 Likes

@BeachAV8R, I’m kind of leaning towards waiting for the Rift CV2. My PC is going to be 3 years old in April (I bought a PC and Rift bundle). That means, based on my usual 3 year planned lifespan of a gaming computer, that it will be time for a complete upgrade.

Come on Oculus! It’s time for the next Rift!

1 Like

I keep reading that Oculus might not do a half measure and just keep trucking along on getting foveated rendering into their next Rift (2.0?)…but that is just reading the comments on Reddit and stuff, so who knows. They have a lot of money in the bank and can probably afford to not rush something out the door. I just hope they still will want to do high end PC headsets if their mobile type stuff starts taking off…

1 Like

They said not before 2020 for CV2, and even then the last Michael Abrash’s slides at Oculus Connect 5 indicated a lot of the key advancements they wanted to put in it would be ready for consumer tech in around 2022. To get good foveated rendering you need good eye tracking, and that’s hard.

You’ve also got to consider that Facebook is not about PC VR so much anymore, it’s about VR - and the ‘cross the chasm’ tech for that is mobile stand-alone VR ‘console systems’. The Oculus Quest is their big thing. Mobile, mobile, mobile is the mantra.

giphy

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to post a quick review of the RTX 2080ti from a flight simmer’s point of view. But, one thing that is for certain, my display adapter is not the bottleneck now. It can handle anything that the Rift and Odyssey demand of it. When I fly, everything is smooth as a baby’s hunkis, which leaves me craving higher resolution. With the 1080, I am juggling settings to get a good frame rate, but now that that is solved, give us higher res so that we can see bandits at normal distances please.

3 Likes

I love my Rift, but agreed. I am really keen on more pixels, even if it means I need to Cray-build a PC now rather than wait a couple of years.