Samsung Odyssey & Odyssey Plus News

I do not want to install Steam. The Odyssey arrived. We shall see where this goes. I am not thrilled about this hardware as I thought I would be.

2 Likes

I ran a few more tests…

1. Shutdown SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality and double clicked the DCS launch icon. WMR, SteamVR, and DCS loaded.

2. Disabled Start SteamVR and Enable VR Dashboard and double-clicked the DCS launch icon. WMR launched and then DCS launched. Noted that the fps never went above 45, so Async Reprojection is running.

3. Rebooted, launched SteamVR and changed Supersampling to 2.5 (up from 2.0). Shutdown StramVR and double-clicked the DCS icon. DCS loaded and fps reflected the change in Supersampling. So to answer my second question, Supersampling is indeed set to 2.5 even though SteamVR is not running.

So, @Linebacker’s assumption is correct. SteamVR does not need to be running to run DCS with a WMR headset. Thank you.

1 Like

Great. Let’s really get to the bottom of this.

I thought we were 4K brothers until the foreseeable future WC so I’m surprised you went the VR route. I’m here for a shoulder to cry on. :smiley:

3 Likes

sirens

1 Like

yeah get on board the VR boat you sexey thang!
renaissance pr0n is the best pr0n.
oh you meant that with yourself as Odysseus tied to the mast holding out against the VR siren song? heb.

2 Likes

It definitely doesnt seem to be plug and play experience seeing all the setups, softwares and whatnots required :slight_smile:

1 Like

It probably sounds worse than it is, with all of the testing and questions about add-ons. But, really it wasn’t that bad. When I plugged the Odyssey, Win 10 installed Windows Mixed Media support and ran me through a hardware setup wizard.

Because I wanted to run Steam games, I needed the Stream program Windows Mixed Realty for SteamVR.

And because I wanted to run Oculus games too, I had to install Revive. But, none of it is really difficult.

1 Like

I’m making progress. Thought I could test the Odyssey on my second computer that has a GTX 980 Ti also, but when Windows Mixed Reality came up, it reported that the old processor, an i7 970, was not capable. I did get the Odyssey connected on the main computer and started DCS, but the resolution is not right so the menu was not in the screen and I could not start a flight (which was prolly a good thing at this point). More tomorrow…

5 Likes

At least you had the benefit of hopefully, a good red vino! Good luck WC.

2 Likes

That wine glass is dangerously close to a VR user. :eyes:

3 Likes

4K brothers we remain @Linebacker.

The Odyssey is going back.

In Microsoft Mixed Reality my left eye could not focus clearly to read text there. I wear computer glasses that are made for the distance to the monitor, and do not want to go through getting VR corrective lenses for this. I sit for hours at my computer and can’t see me putting on and taking off the VR headset when I go to fly. A lot of that is due to my love for mission design - lots of Fly Test Fix activity. I also read on DCS Forums that VR is not working with CA, which is a favorite element in my missions.

The other big reason is my large 48" TV monitor that connects via the one HDMI port out of the video card. A guy at Best Buy suggested a Displayport to HDMI adapter, which seemed like a good solution, but the TV could not get the signal that way. I looked at an HDMI Switch so both the TV monitor and VR headset could stay plugged in. After my efforts yesterday, I do not think a switch would work; I think the VR headset needs to stay plugged in and visible to the computer so that when it is put on the head the computer senses it and automatically changes video modes. If I kept the Odyssey, I’d likely end up spending another $800-$1,000 for a really nice gaming monitor that ran from the Displayport.

This is not an Odyssey problem, per se, any VR headset would likely result in the same outcome for me. The Odyssey is a nice, well built unit. Maybe in a few years I’ll revisit this, after I get away from the HDMI TV as a monitor, and VR connectivity and specs improve.

I didn’t even think about CA. Funny, it rarely gets much airtime here. I own it but never tried it. Try drinking the wine with the headset on!

1 Like

Did you try plugging the Odyssey into the Displayport with the HDMI adapter? I’m reading that it can be done.

Here are some recommended adapters …

My thinking is that running a 4K display through an adapter might be a lot more demanding than VR.

1 Like

Hey @NineLine - I read on the ED forum you recently got one of these.

How you finding it?

2 Likes

It is currently still on sale:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8w91r774pdkk?activetab=pivot:reviewstab

And can be imported to Europe for ~€100 on top of the price:

I did it. Will write up a little review in a new topic in a few weeks

3 Likes

Nice - thanks @Freak !

I think people are curious to see if it’s X% good enough of an improvement for a sit-down cockpit VR over the Rift/Vive - or even as an alternative because of the value. That display panel they have in them is really nice for the price.

1 Like

I’m afraid this is my first VR set, but I did do some demos/games with both Vive and Rift CV1, and a few minutes of DCS flying with the Rift months ago.
What I remember from that is: it’s awesome, but resolution needs to be a tad better.

I hope this 1.5x improvement in resolution is enough. Most people on ED Forums say that cockpit instruments ARE readable with the Odyssey, as opposed to the Vive and current Rift.

I am no @near_blind when it comes to air-to-air, and probably never will be. I mainly fly helos, and most people already consider Vive and Rift as acceptable for helo ops. Main reasons for waiting after the initial HMDs are not wanting to buy another headset soon after the first one, and cockpit readability.

1 Like

I’m am the saltiest of haters and even I cannot but marvel at the feeling of flying choppers in VR. I hope you have a blast with it :+1:

2 Likes

When you do get it set up, check out the DCS VR Mod as I’ve found it really helped the clarity of spotting and really helps framerate in DCS.

It’s interesting as a lot of advice you’ll see for setting Pixel Density in DCS will be different, in that ‘1.0’ would be the same as something like ‘1.5’ in the Rift/Vive (but of course it’s scaling it up and scaling it down again, because it can’t natively show that resolution in the panel).

One other thing is that the ‘fit’ of the headset is really important. The ‘sweet spot’ of the fresnel lens is unfortunately really important, so if turning your head moves your focal point out of that then things get fuzzier, and that’s often interpreted as a resolution issue when it’s more a ‘is it in the right place on my head’ issue.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how you find it. My local Microsoft store has one, and I am really tempted.