SF2 always calls to me....

It really would be great to see that happen. I would have thought TK would like to see his creation live on like that…but he really seems to have walked away from “us”… Everyone has their reasons for things. That is one decision I wish he’d reconsider. The genre could really use that gap filler between DCS and Ace Combat type games…

1 Like

Aaaannnndddd… now I’m reinstalling SF2.

(Luckily I saved my installation and mod folders from last time so it’s just one big drag and drop).

1 Like

Y’all quit tempting me. I haven’t had it on my hard drive for a couple of months and I’m actually playing games instead of fiddling with .ini files.

2 Likes

Good call. I do the same thing. I keep all my mod folders, and the USER ones that contain all the information that points to them. Way easier to just back that all up versus re-installing it. Whenever I revisit SF2 I have to get back into the swing of things with how the mod folders work, but each time it is a little less painless. I would pay TK $100 to have an all-in-one pack/install that gets rid of the individual game titles.

Ini-this the truth…! :rofl:

2 Likes

I have them right where I want them…!

believe1

3 Likes

He took his Work to Android, and left us PC Guys behind.

You were able to merge everything into SF2NA and only have 1 install. well, I made it that way some how.

Last time I backed mine up, I just RAR’d the folders, so if I wanna play again, I open Archive and Extract.

1 Like

I never uninstalled it. Why bother?

SF2 install = 10GB max?
SF2 mods = 100GB+ or more.

To go through the hassle of uninstalling it, only to need to reinstall and repatch it later if I want to revisit, to save less than 10% of its total footprint makes no sense to me.

@chipwich’s post about his father and his story forced me to pull it out again…

12 Likes

If only it had M/P. It would be still alive in numbers, today.

3 Likes

I’m sad that this whole title…just passed me by and i never tried it. I feel like I missed out on a piece of history I would of loved. Such a shame.
But I’m heavily invested in DCS now. DCS is my baby so I cant be too sad.
That lightning tho…

3 Likes

Read ‘When Thunder Rolled’ back in the day and tried to get my 25 missions north in the F-105 campaign… Was really tough when you didn’t excessively reload.

1 Like

I bought and played everything SF as well as YAP and YAP2 and actually had some success getting MP going with Hyperlobby. I really loved it to the point that it was abandoned by the developer. I won’t go into its other problems, as I have probably bitched about them enough on this board. As much as I am addicted to the Vietnam conflict, when the problems getting it to run reliably as well as all of the time spent managing add-ons overshadowed play time 2 to 1, I threw in the towel.

What we really need is DCS: Vietnam. But since that seems to be far off the Eagle Dynamics tactical display, I would be thrilled with IL2 Great Battles: Vietnam. Even for this Phantom devote, I can see the immense game play possibilities with Flaming Cliffs/IL-2 level developed aircraft, especially since precision guided ordnance didn’t come into play until late in the war. So many types of missions, such historical context, and please man, while the SMEs are still alive and willing to tell their tales. As much as any conflict in the last half century, this one has the most relevance, IMO.

5 Likes

Yes we do. We have flyable MiG-21s, MiG-19s and F-5s (and an A-4). We could sure use a flyable F-4. We also have AI Fitters, B-52s and C-130s. I know not all the versions match but, “close enough for government work”

So that leaves the theater. It will be interesting to see how good and how well received RAZBAMs Falklands comes out. Perhaps if successful, we will see more threaded party theaters.

9 Likes

Alpha Strikes on Haiphong. Thuds scooting down Thud Ridge. Skyraiders providing support while Hueys extract downed airmen. And of course F-4s doing…everything…

Intruders
Scooters
Thuds
Phantoms
Skyraiders
Crusaders
Corsair IIs

Mmm…yummy…

9 Likes

EXCUUUUZE MEEAH!
:a6: <----- is this a joke to you!!!one11!?eleven

7 Likes

We could probably use the P47 as a stand in for the Skyraider…obviously not a perfect solution but a big single radial engined tail dragger armed with bombs, rockets and guns…

5 Likes

I agree with @Hangar200. Instead of flying Mustangs, Spits and stuff you should better be in MiGs, F5s and A4s on Hollo Pointe :slight_smile:

And if there is no Starfighter then there is no 'Nam :unamused:

3 Likes

I’m currently about 3/4 through Da Nang Diary: A Forward Air Controller’s Gunsight View of Flying with SOG. The SOG insertion/extraction package was basically 2 to 4 slicks, 2 cobras, an OV-10 directing the op with whatever air assets were available for CAS. That usually amounted to one or two Spads, and the occasional flight of F-4s. Highly recommend the book for anyone interested in SOG ops North of the DMZ and along the Ho Chi Minh trail in Cambodia and Laos. Toward the end of the war, the NVA become very good at tracking the insertion teams, making these ops incredibly risky.

5 Likes