Some warm up before DCS Tomcat ;)

ED or MilViz?

Milviz. They refuse to respond to customer service unless you provide proof of purchase and join their forums, which require emailing someone in Montreal. I could easily do this, but the process pisses me off for some reason. Which is a problem because their Navy phantoms break constantly.

Also thereā€™s the meltdowns their lead kept having, but thatā€™s unrelated.

you should see what they say about ED and TFC

Iā€™ve seen some of it. It wasnā€™t complementary to their professional image.

Cant argue with those points nb.

On the other hand, they seem to be the only group going gonads to the firewall, have tidied up their 60s fighter management tool, and are one of very few devs who send me an email when an update is ready for one of their products. And it probably takes an evil genius to give us Huns, Hercs, Phantoms, and Thunderchiefs.

1 Like

One of my fave screenshots from any simā€¦ you certainly canā€™t say he did a crap job of itā€¦

2 Likes

There was so much unrealized potential in SF2. I canā€™t bring myself to fire it up any longer.

2 Likes

I can accept it for what it isā€¦while being depressed at what it was very close to beingā€¦

2 Likes

I had a whole gallery of SFP1 ā†’ SF2 NA screenshotsā€¦

ā€¦and just installed the SF2 NA expansion. I need to stop computering while Iā€™m drinking.

1 Like

You doing that too? I just watched the Haka for Jonah Lomu and ended up in tears. Guess itā€™s time to stop with the margaritasā€¦

1 Like

SF2 NA Screens:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1680669986410.93099.1527387319&type=3

SF1 Series:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1382760578861.53291.1527387319&type=3

1 Like

-Someone Had leaked a few of the Thirdwire Gen 1 Max Files at one point, so that didnt help TKā€™s Trust issues

-Strategy First, the Original Publisher of SFP1, Released Multiple Alpha Builds as Gold Products in the U.S. w/o TWā€™s Permission,

I bought My Copy from Electronics Boutique in a Full Box at $49.99, and when I Installed Played and Posted Screenshots etc, TK asked how I got a Copy, lol. I told him they were on Shelves at EB Games and Babbages here already.

I was one of the First people to work on Mods (helped w/ A-1, P-51, Scorpion etc etc),

Beta tester all teh way up til TW Disbanded all external testers (before SF2 NA)).

I stayed w/ SF2 as long as I could, but w/ it being dead code (no patches or support) and wanting to move up to Full Fidelity Simulations Again (Previously Spent Thousands on FS2002/2004 and FSX, and then Sold it all off), I decided to Avoid FSX this time around and goto DCS A-10C, right when DCSW was in testing.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe he disbanded the testers.

I donā€™t disagree he got screwed several times. I just assert that his methods to address them (and prevent a recurrence presumably) did more harm than good.

Oh, and his marketing sucked. He couldnā€™t have sold ammo to the Alamo. Only people who knew what they wanted and actively searched for his stuff found it.

I would say Iā€™m bitter over how it ended with a whimper, but I honestly donā€™t even have that much feeling over it. Iā€™ve had SF2 effectively uninstalled since I got my SSD 2 years ago (because it didnā€™t have the space to hold all the mods in the \users folder at the time, so I copied them off) and at this point I canā€™t find the energy to make it work again. Besides, I updated from Win7 to 10 in the interim and I heard some had issues with that and I dont want to spend time troubleshooting.

I have fond memories of SFP1 through SF2NA, I even bought every plane DLC he released, including the AI ones (just never the skins-only ones) after NA, but I think his abandoning development killed my enthusiasm for it.

I dont visit CA much anymore, either, especially as so many there gave up like I did and left.

Update: I managed to find my old copy of SF2NA from March 2012, and updated it in increments and tested the campaign. So the campaign works up to the May 2013 update (you can still get it from here Third Wire Productions - Download Archives). I didnā€™t tried the latest update (from Jul 2013) on my install as the updated installer for SF2NA from that month caused trouble with the campaign for me.

I think the bug was that in the latest version the Amphibious Task Force didnā€™t show up in the south-western part of the map so there was no way the friendly ground forces could retake the Iceland from the Soviets at this point even with Kiev group taken out. But Iā€™m not 100% sure on that, I just noticed it in the 4th mission in the earlier/working version and didnā€™t recall seeing it in the latest/broken version.

1 Like

So while I made sure my install is working correctly now I started to document my campaign playthrough. Hereā€™s the first campaign mission:

1 Like