Sopwith Rudder Bar

OK; making slow progress on my Rudder Bar (to go w/ the Camel joystick). Here’s where I am so far.

2 Likes

kind of a build log. This is a couple views of the Sketchup dwg I am working from.

4 Likes

pics of early steps. Some little girl (unknowingly) donated her bike…

8 Likes

Re-purposed bike parts… This is really starting to get interesting…! :+1:

2 Likes

After imposing on friends for welding assist and 47 trips to HomeDepot for small metal things…

9 Likes

Oh, that sort of bar! LOL! I initially thought it was an aviation bar you had discovered, you know, where they serve beer. Catchy name, if it had been.

Ingenious workmanship there, love your drawings. Looking forward to you building the rest of the aircraft around that (I always had a “dream”, if you will, of building my own SE5a one day, but I do not see it happening).

sorry to disappoint. Beers were consumed - but not served at - The Rudder Bar. Starting to come together…

4 Likes

A couple more sketchup pics. THe spring mounting is a little ‘hobo’ but it works.

6 Likes

Here it is w/ all the mechanical ‘componentry’ in place. Now for the electronics so its not just a static display…

5 Likes

Aaaah! So that’s what the hinges are for…!

Clever!
I imagine that it will give a sort of center detent when the hinge touch the frame?

1 Like

Yeah; shorter springs (or moving back the attachment point) would have obviated the need for the hinges and simplified the design - but I wouldn’t have gotten that definite center/neutral point.

1 Like
© 2019 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ