Steam DISK WRITE ERROR solution confirmation help needed

I stumbled upon what seems to be a quick and easy solution to DISK WRITE ERROR’s in Steam.
I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else.

Much simpler than any of the other SDWE solutions I found when trying to solve my troubles.

Trouble is that I have not had any SDWE, since before I decided that I want to write about it, so I have not been able to confirm certain aspects of it. I also don’t have any screenshots to backup my observations.

Okay. The solution: (This is where I can’t remember exactly how to do it)

It is either hover the mouse over, right or left click the DISK WRITE ERROR message and you will somewhere on screen, be shown a path to and including the file that have failed. (I don’t know if you need to have the statusline active for this to work.)

In most cases I just needed to delete the indicated file and resume the download and it would work.
In the 2 cases where it failed multiple times on the same file, I just deleted the folder with files containing the failing file and I could resume again.

I would very much like to share this solution in a number of the places where people have asked for help with this problem, as many of the other solutions are quite drastic.

I did find one screenshot here showing the error, but I have no rights to it, so I won’t be able to share it as intended.

My request:

If any of you get a SDWE could you please confirm how to show the path and if deleting the file and/or folder works for you?

I would also be very grateful for a couple of screenshots that I could share.

Happy Simming

Only time I ever saw those, it was because my disk was filling up.

I had it once with a failing SSD. Windows 10 ran fine, but when both X-Plane began locking up and getting the Steam DWE, I began troubleshooting the disk. I temporarily moved both my X-Plane and Steam library to an external USB 3 HDD and it ran fine. I replaced the SSD, moved the installs to the new SSD, and haven’t had any trouble since. Good luck. BTW, in my case the start/stopping the download had the exact same behavior as yours. Looks like the answer to the linked post was also hardware related, since replacing the data cable solved his problem.

© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ