The Mudspike Air Refueling Thread

Neat, to me, that they’ve modeled this well enough such that a non-flyer like myself winds up doing similar things…guess I actually read somewhere (likely here): change it, then 1/2 back, or something. That idea really helped me in general too

SIDEBAR | my first ride in the Viper family model and I had the throttle “taken away” cus I wasn’t “doing it enough” while up close. I felt so unworthy, sniff…:slight_smile:

Scary close to me at first, then I was so focused…and my driver was encouraging me, “geet closer!”. The left/right/up/down was easy. I watched him move it, what seemed to me then, a lot more than I expected (but I was clueless); and a lot more than I do in the sim, but the throttle isn’t the same of course (Virpil CM2).

Wish I knew then…

I do AR so much [every session] - this made me realize I don’t look at the speed anymore either, after I’m visual on the tanker and closing.

Making the intercept, from a distance, is a “fun game” too. Just another hidden lil nugget that is satisfying to get right…of course, being a ‘game’ I try to push it: how close can I be when I roll out, etc. Likely not Real World approved :). It REALLY irks me when I over-shoot. Think there’s a ‘gouge’ on this too (deceleration bit): 1 NM is my key to check that I’m at ~100 Knots of closure and slowing.

I’ve read/watched things on this topic but the one comment that stands out is, basically, "you get a feel for it [the intercept] after a while - no need for ‘numbers’ so much ". I’m broadly paraphrasing.

2 Likes

That “neutral throttle position” gouge is right on and one thing that can sometimes be missing in sims.

Whether you are refueling, flying close formation, or flying the ball, having an anchor point for your hand is very helpful.

Most sim throttles, even nice ones, kind of leave your hand dangling out there, which is like trying to write with your hand off the paper. If you can “connect” to something on the sidewall or throttle base, then you have a neutral reference from which to work.

4 Likes

That’s another good instinct. The tanker isn’t a robot. Even with AP and A/T engaged, it’s speed is fluctuating 10 knots either side of target. Visual is the only way to stay in perfect formation.

4 Likes

But in DCS… It is a robot isn’t it? :thinking:

Playable KC-130 when??! :grin:

3 Likes

Im happy to fly racetracks in the C130 for people in the meantime…

4 Likes

They oughta make an AAR Pack that’s just a palletized refueling system with the drogue reel hanging out of the ramp, that can be shoved into the back of any herc to turn it into a tanker.

Maybe they already do and I have no clue. If so, cool!

1 Like

We know you do, you pervert :rofl:

2 Likes

eric cartman nascar GIF by South Park

5 Likes

Go fast eh? in a tanker? For you it’ll be more like:

Imma drive! And imma go slow. And imma turn to the left just as some poor thirsty fokker us about to stick his thing in my thing!

2 Likes

Faster than swimming home :rofl:

3 Likes

For those of us having difficulty putting the Thing in the Thing…don’t feel bad, it’s been tuff for a long time. Brad here had problems too:

I couldn’t resist (double post)

2 Likes

Dammit! Now you got me singing the Poopie Suit song from MST3K!

2 Likes

This movie is oddly mesmerizing (never seen it, or at least long ago forgotten it). And the plot, so far (I’m only 20 minutes into it) - hmmm, Young Gun who’s daddy was a ‘name’…sounds familiar.

You haven’t seen The Starfighters until you’ve seen them in MST3K

4 Likes

One of my favorite series ever.

“He broke the face barrier.” LOL

1 Like

…now it [that song] is in my head

2 Likes

and DCS has it maybe right… I mean people are not ready for robot airliners but robot tanker could be perfect fit imo…

… I know about one guy who will disagree though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Austin Powers No GIF

1 Like

So, I’m back in jets for a while. I had been boning up on the Spit in prep for Reflected’s Beware Beware, but have been listening to Ward Carroll’s Punk’s trilogy while on vacation this past week and have decided to now fly @Baltic_Dragon 's Dominant Fury instead. Gosh, between Reflected and BD we’ve got enough entertaining campaigns to keep us busy until the Holidays!

Not wanting to accept the tanking as “optional”, I spent a couple of hours in the Hornet last night, plugging into baskets from various aircraft. One thing for sure, staying connected to the buddy store on the community Super Bug is darn near impossible with it’s ridged boom. Will be nice if they figure out how to retrofit it with a hose.

I know that it’s forbidden to fly the basket, but it works better for me to do this until plugin. Close with the basket while, keeping the Velocity Vector / Pitch Ladder in your scan. Fly in formation with the basket momentarily, ease forward to plug, then fly form on the tanker. Maybe it’s a VR thing, but if fly the HUD referencing various queues on the tanker, it takes much longer to plug. If I approach the basket, pausing to stabilize the probe on the basket, then ease in, I have a pretty high plug rate. If I fly the HUD referencing an engine nacelle, for instance, I seem to spend a lot of time hoping and wishing for a plug. Just saying what works for me, YMMV.

5 Likes

In the end, everybodys technique is a little bit different. You can describe your way to me, but in the end I will have to learn to apply that way so that it works for my brain and body.
Just the way it is, I guess.

5 Likes