The New Rig Report…an introspective

You’re not the only one that I have read about.
It was also a thing with the earlier Rift CV1.
Check that the chord has some slack between the halo clip and the headset plug.

The entire virtual SwAF is holding its breath…

2 Likes

Tell the SwAF to breath. VR makes landing a lot more intuitive. Safely on deck with no issues. Also, I didn’t realize that the Viggen cockpit was that high off the ground! That might explain some of my rough landings with TrackIR.

Today’s results: Took up a Mig-19 and the aforementioned Viggen. I’ve got the DCS graphics set fairly high. Only a couple of image stutters, always when I was down low, turning hard and quickly moving my head/POV. Otherwise silky smooth FPS. :grin:

Not thrilled about the limited FOV. I am used to being able to spot my wingman in my peripheral vision with a slight turn of my head (TrackIR). Sure I can turn in my seat more but when I try to brace myself on the canopy rail to do so…you get the picture.

All in all the new rig with Rift S is awesome. More so in DCS than XP11. I need to relook at my XP11 settings to get rid of the stutters.

DCS seems good so far. Need to fly in some of the PG urban areas to give it a better work out. :vr:

5 Likes

They are so happy that they made this video, to celebrate.

https://youtu.be/nx3P2JUOv6s

She’s got long legs!
Need oleos to cushion those slam dunk landings… :wink:
That height perspective made an impression on me as well, when I tried VR. The stereoscopic view makes depth perception very real.
Like you, I also tried to grab stuff that wasn’t there…

I agree. It limits the experience. But I don’t think a wider FoV screen is viable until they make some sort of eye tracking and foveated rendering.
The Pimax headsets offer wider FoV, but pushing that many pixels must be hard on the performance.

But, as you say, still better than 2D and TiR. And it will only get better.

2 Likes

It is really noticeable when looking through the HUD, focused on the symbology. You notice that while the symbols are clear, you have a double image of the edges of the HUD glass.

Re landing the Viggen, I found the ability to keep the airfield in view through the break and downwind leg and then pick it up again as I turned base to be especially critical. I had always suspected that flying the pattern was not all that difficult, if you had a true 360º vision ability…and I was right. :vr::grin:

1 Like

Yeah, VR sure is a SA multiplier…

1 Like

Yeah…that is one thing everyone has to “unlearn” coming from TrackIR where most people do not have a 1:1 head to view ratio. Most of us had maybe 20 or 30 degrees left/right of center translating to 180 degrees of left/right in game. So with 1:1 in VR, the game is much more physical (and I’d argue more realistic)…so maybe there will be some health benefits to VR…some nice stretching and limbering up of the upper torso and neck. :smile:

Have you tried air-to-air refueling yet? I’ve found the depth perception for hooking up is way easier. Also, of course, flying helicopters and putting them in precise spots is far easier.

1 Like

But my question is how is the perception of the surroundings in VR ? I mean like towns, houses forests, trees, bushes, grass …
We are getting TrueEarth like products for XP / P3D, we have hand crafted maps for DCS. Does the lower resolution of VR make justice to these things ?
Because flying, espcialy VFR, is much about looking out of the cockpit down below.

…and with VR there isn’t peripheral vision so you have to turn more so than iRL. My neck feels “it” after long VR session.

I would say that with my rig, yes, especially in DCS.

First off, for me it isn’t so much about pixelation than it is about FPS. For the most part in XP and in nearly always in DCS I have fast frame rates which really makes things “real”

As far as fidelity goes, I have not noticed much pixelation on “near by” scenery but there is a definite “blurriness” with scenery farther away, such as the mountains in the DCS Caucus map when flying near the Black Sea.

1 Like

Alas, my iPad is now unusable. After several years of download flight manuals and checklists to my iPad, and organizing them carefully, now with VR it is all for naught.

For DCS I’m looking into adding pages to kneeboard cards. For XP???

It’s hard to relay this in words, so bear with me…
First of all, the resolution isn’t the problem, per se. Resolution is actually on par with a lot of 2D screens that are used for gaming. It’s the fact that the surroundings are magnified to full size, that makes things both better and worse. Instead of looking at a flat screen with everything zoomed out, you’re sitting with the screen right in front of your face, zoomed in to 1:1 size, and the screen is moving with your view.
Now, sitting that close to the screen makes it easier to see the pixels as well, so yes, resolution is a part of if, but since you’re zoomed in, you only get to see a smaller part of the picture. Smaller part than you would see on a 2D screen, anyway. But you can move your view as you do in real life; by moving your head, so you can easily see the surroundings anyway.

In short, it works very well. But given the fact that the computer needs to crank out two video streams instead of one, you need to lower your settings some.

VR has its advantages and disadvantages. Compared to a widescreen 34" 1440 display and Track IR, that I used prior to getting my Rift, the advantages win by a mile…
But that’s my opinion.

2 Likes

The first time I tried VR, the owner said ”look at your wings” and I turned my head, maybe 20°. Then I realized I had to turn around, for real, to see my wings… That was quite a revelation.

1 Like

Well, speaking from the standpoint of the HP Reverb, it is absolutely great for flying VFR. I can make out small details and airports from a lot further away than I could with the original Rift and the O+. This latest batch of VR headsets from multiple manufacturers has really upped the game.

Personally, I love the 1:1 tracking…and it is sooooo smooth. By that I mean, the tracking is really, really good (unless you are getting judders due to scenery complexity or rig issues).

I’ve also not had much beef with FOV. Simply because I’ve worn glasses all my life and sort of feel like I’ve been dealing with a limited FOV forever. Add to that some of the games I play you’d expect to be wearing a helmet perhaps…and something like VTOL VR even show the edges of the helmet as an added bit of immersion (you can turn that off though).

1 Like

Now that I haver “exercised” the new rig with the default XP11 aircraft, it is time to try a 3rd party design. I’m going to stay with GA for a bit. The AirfoilLabs King Air 350 got good reviews over on the X-Plane release thread (2019)…but I’m also looking at MILVIZ’s 310R (do they not have a license agreement with Cessna?)

I was hoping that somewhere they would say something about “VR comparable cockpit” but cannot find anything. My rig’s specs easily meet the minimum requirements but I a pretty sure they are talking about a normal monitor. Thoughts?

In there mean time I am going to see if VR helps me land the DCS Mi-8 safely…and by safely I mean still flyable afterwards…a hir bar to set I know. :grin::vr:

Honestly, for VR specifically the King Air 350 might not be ideal. I actually really liked the X-Crafts ERJ for VR. It is really well done (largely). Also look at VSkyLabs since all of their stuff is optimized for VR. Would write more but on mobile at the moment…

This looks interesting…

1 Like

Hmmmm, that does look interesting. Thanks!

Well yesterday was helicopter day and @BeachAV8R was right. I spent 6 straight hours flying helos…never made it out of DCS to try XP11. Yes, I was that thunderstruck with VR and helos.

One word kept popping into my mind: Scale. VR gives you a real sense of scale that is just not achievable when viewing on a monitor. I loaded a Russian Navy Mi-8 coastal patrol mission I had thrown together a while back. Start from the ramp at Novorossiysk. I had thrown in a couple of little static Russian Navy Helix for eye candy…except they were not little…I mean I always new that a Helix is not small but seeing them in VR where I can “relate” too their size was a new experience. Same goes for ships…and GOPLATS…and buildings…you get the picture. I hadn’t noticed this flying DCS jets, probably due to altitude and speed.

Performance of my rig was great but I think I may have found the edge of the envelope. The visuals–scenery and cockpit–at high speed and low altitude was great. Not stutters at all. That said I was going about 225 kph in the Hip vice 500-600 kph in the Mig-19/Viggen. The edge of the envelope appeared when I was heading away from the sun. The shadow of the rotor blades and rotor head was visible against the windshield and cockpit. However, every once in a while I would get a quick opaque back shape instead of the translucent shadow. Certainly not a showstopper.

I’m going to start a “New to VR” thread for the boatload of questions I am generating so as not to take this tread off track…because that never happens in Mdspike forums. :grin:

5 Likes

It is great reading about your first steps with VR simming Will. I remember how it was for me when I got my Rift and jumped into DCS for the first time.

I still find myself grinning when I materialize jump inside the meticulously modeled cockpits of aircraft I could only dream of flying for real. I love watching the canopy close around me and lock into place, looking back over my shoulder to see the wing, and air intake, all the little details inside the cockpit that you just don’t see on a monitor. Before getting the Rift, my enthusiasm for simming was at a low point. There were lots of DCS modules that I hadn’t bothered with through lack of interest. Then VR came along and I suddenly I wanted to fly all of them. It breathed a whole new life into the hobby for me.

4 Likes

The New Rig:

Set up with the X52 HOTAS that I use for helicopters and ED. For jets THWH goes in the same places - I’ll switch out the Warthog stick for the new VKB Gladiator Mk.II when flying early Migs (15, 19, 21) and maybe the Viggen (until I receive the @Troll Viggen flightstick special :grin:) . For XP, my Saitek Yoke and CH throttle quad are attached to the desk.

EDIT: Note the different color keys on the keyboard. They are programable. The keyboard was an extra. My thought was that with the keys illuminated different colors, I’d be able to find them faster…and then I put on the Rift S and can’t see the keyboard. :expressionless:

7 Likes

I have a RGB keyboard too. It is easier to see the keys. Remove the nose flap on the S and see how you like it…

1 Like