The New Rig Report…an introspective

Yeah…I still have planes in my inventory (whether X-Plane or DCS or P3D) that I want to see in VR that I haven’t gotten around to checking out.

Looks like vFlyteAir (great stuff) has a new “modern” Cherokee. VR friendly…and hey…for science it might be interesting to check out how 3D those boobs look…

“Honey…why are you putting your hands out and making twisting motions??”

8 Likes

Look at her hand though… That hand says you will be sorry if you try…!

6 Likes

Is she a Marine Officer?
That’s a “Knife hand” ! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

That looks like great mod. I was seriously considering the twin Comanche too. Will have to check out the passenger…um… “profiles” :grin::vr:

1 Like

She looks pissed. That’s why I own a single-place airplane. Passengers more often than not, suck. Even the ones with great, er, profiles.

5 Likes

…and then there was the day Patty Wagstaff rolled up to @smokinhole and said…“hey…mind taking me for a ride in that plane?” And he looked as his Pitts and wept silent tears…

Patty probably doesn’t look like that anymore…but still… I did get a hug from her once. I let it go on for just long enough to make security uncomfortable…

6 Likes

My favorite performer standing next to my least favorite airplane. Totally unrelated, I used fly with her sister on Guam. Sister’s name was Toni. Great Captain but she did not welcome talk about Patty. I had to keep my fanboi tendencies under a tight wrap.

2 Likes

Yeah…I think I got a hug from Patty and my girlfriend at the time got groped by Bob Hoover in the same day. It was a fair trade.

Totally kidding…he was a gentleman…

1 Like

I almost hit buy and then I realized you all just wanted to see more screen shots of the “copilot” :crazy_face:

Back to the Rig Report and not so great news for VR in XP:

I loaded up the ORBX scenery for True Earth GB South and EGHI and EGKA airports. I also added a M500 helo freeware.

My initial graphics settings were:
Visual Effects - High
Texture Quality - Max
Antialiasing - 2 x SSAA + FXAA
Number of Objects - High
Draw Parked Aircraft - On
Use VSync - On

I set up the helo at a EGHI runway and started.

The stuttering was horrendous. Looking to the left, even. at low speeds the stuttering was producing an “earthquake:” that I bet @Victork2 must have felt. It would smooth out now and then. Looking forward was mostly smooth and flying let or rig focused on the horizon it would smooth out. But towards the ground (about -30º) it went back to heavy stutters.

I ended up with the following settings (just the changes)
Visual Effects - Medium
Texture Quality - High
Number of Objects - Medium

That smoothed it all out but at the expense of a bunch of “vacant lots” / sparsely populated towns. The ORBX airfields were unchanged - lots of detail and special associated objects/buildings remained. Still, it is pretty bleak under 1500 ft AGL. :slightly_frowning_face:

I had thought that the RTX 2080 should ave been able to handle a higher graphics setting in VR. Should I have gone with the 2080ti? That said, the rig was designed for a 3-monitor set up…maybe that is the way to go…:thinking:

1 Like

I didn’t feel it but the dog was barking like a lunatic :joy:

2 Likes

Another speed bump with the new rig.

I loaded up Steam and ED. Then through trial and error I learned that one must launch ED through Steam VR. (And what is all this silliness with creating a virtual room? First Oculus and now Steam)

I still couldn’t get it to run - kept on getting exception errors (which, of course, don’t show up in VR; only on the monitor). I finally got a message that said it was incompatible with my controller. What? I’ve got an X-52. ED was designed to that controller! But not in VR? It shows that I need a game controller (like Xbox). That’s not going to happen. (I don’t think t is talking about the Oculus hand controllers since they work fine with Steam VR)

Turned off VR and it booted up just fine. Need to get another TrackIR. Really not happy. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You may be able to transfer the ED serial to the Oculus store,or, that used to be an option at least. Haven’t played it for a loooong time, but I do have ED installed in Oculus home, thiugh I bought it at the ED site originally.

1 Like

When I played ED in VR it was through the Oculus store and it worked flawlessly. I’m guessing that running it through Steam forces the use of SteamVR, which isn’t ideal if you are using a Rift.

1 Like

For XP, you might want to drop the fsaa+fxaa. Its not needed as badly in be but tends to be very expensive.

4 Likes

That is probably it. The problem is that I got it on a Steam sale…the base game, Horizons pass and a Commander pack that lets me put on a nice paint job on my Viper. In the Oculus store just the base game is $59.95.

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=311

1 Like

Very nice! Thanks!

Back to DCS…

I think it was @BeachAV8R who indicated how flying form is so much easier in VR (aerial refueling). Wow! It becomes natural. Small corrections with stick and throttle that I am hardly aware I am doing.

Again the monster rig came through very smoothly. VR with mostly high graphics settings, three jets in close proximity (my wingman) and the radar on showing some nice cloud interference. All at FPS that I could not detect.

3 Likes

Hangar200 have you seen this:

1 Like