The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

OK. The AA manual is, like all things AA (my wife flew as an AA head flight attendant for a number of years) frugally, informative. As much info in as few words as possible.

As far as I can tell, @Chuck_Owl did almost everything correctly - probably needed a few more knots on the airplane and something about the Alternate Flaps switch…I knew that there must have been a reason for that switch.

Eastern Airlines has dedicated 3 pages to the issue–two for checklist procedures and a nice diagram in their Flight Training section. (Obviously the extra paper and ink they spent to fully explain the procedures was what put Eastern into bankruptcy.)

Again not that much difference between Chuck_Owl’s landing and the officially proscribed procedure, save trying the Alternate Flaps switch.

It looks like the key elements are to set the bugs to Vref+15-20 and trying to extend the stuck flaps by the Alternate Flaps switch.

Had I not read this, I would have made the mistake of “cycling” the flaps. Neither AA or EA mentions that. s I think about it, that’s probably a bad idea, perhaps ending up with even more asymmetrically divergent flaps.

5 Likes

Looks like the NTSB folks are about to knock on my door :smiley:

I remember coming in a little bit faster than I’m used to, which probably explains how I managed to survive. I’m not sure the alternate flaps switch would’ve worked since the outer right flap panel was torn apart from the wing.

4 Likes

I mean, fat chance the electrical servo is still there so it would work… Just never reach it endstop and possible dump more bits out of the aircraft. That’s good though right? weight savings!

1 Like

This is awesome hehe - all that modern tech is obviously just more moving parts to break! :grin:

1 Like

Alright now that I have Air Hauler 2 under control, time to get back to some Xmas flying.

So we last landed in Tokoyo, from there a trip down to Kadena where I spent the first couple years of my life learning to love the sound of an SR-71 tearing off in the middle of the night.

For this leg we’ll using the Fokker-27, which is the predecessor to the Fokker-50.

This a freeware bird, I’ve had it for a while, but never flown it till now (available here)

It has a VC, that was apparently left as a work in progress, and is a reminder of where exactly we have come from in flight simming. With that said it’s perfectly flyable, and has its quirks to keep things interesting.

Here we are climbing out of the rainy fog that’s got Tokyo socked in. The F-27 uses the the Rolls-Royce Dart engine, which like I’d imagine most early turboprops is a fixed shaft. So in other words, the prop RPM is related to the turbine speed, and one must be careful with the application or removal of power lest one torch the gear box. Additionally the F-27 was in use on a lot of the “Empire” routes (India, South Africa, etc) where you often times had hot temps, high altitudes, and heavy loading. It features large water-menthol tanks as an anti-detonation injection (ADI) that would be added to the combustion chambers to help keep them from melting/exploding when running near full throttle.

Taking off from a rainy Tokyo located almost on the water, doesn’t neccistate the use of ADI system, but you still have to watch the temps. Real world that job was for the pilot-not-flying (PNF), and they had “temp trimming” system that would minorly adjust power to keep you from melting anything. Well in FSX, you’re stuck balancing it all. For this flight hower, it’s pretty easy, as even firewalling the throttles kept us below the max temp. IRL I’d probably still be chewed on for running the RPM that high when I didn’t have too, as I imagine back in the late 1950’s a turboprop rebuild was even more expensive than it is now.

Obligatory Mt. Fuji shots. I can certainly remember flying past it as a small child, when we went to Tokyo on vacation. Far more majestic in the real world, but FSX doesn’t do a bad job.

Soon enough Okinawa is in the distance. Real world the Rolls-Royce Dart engines had a “normal cruise” setting of 13,300 RPM that RR’s warranted as giving the engines normal service life. This of course soon turned into “max cruise power” for all airline pilots. Your goal as a flight crew, was to get the AC to the altitude that gave you your selected cruise RPM, and the lowest TGT. Your selected cruise RPM was usually helpfully calculated by the accountants to figure out the best balance of engine life, fuel economy, and actually getting the passengers to their destination, and it was your job to make sure the engine temp was good. In FSX this simply means either set the cruise RPM and verify the TGT temp is good, or climbing until full throttle equals cruise RPM. From there you can make step climbs as fuel burns off, but really as a medium to short haul plane it’s not really necessary.

Now descending, that gets a little interesting. The F-27 doesn’t want to slow down. As a fixed shaft turboprop, it still puts out a decent bit of thrust even at flight idle, and the plane doesn’t really want to slow down. Also, the pressurization system relies on the engines being above a certain RPM range to have enough power to run the pressurization system, as well as the anti-ice system. Icing isn’t an issue today, but obviously cabin pressurization is. So with the F-27 overspeeding your descent is a real possibility. Real world consideration, a long shallow powered descent burns extra fuel, which is money to the airlines. So it can be a bit of balancing act to get the F-27 down to pattern altitude in one piece.

From there it takes a bit to slow down, even with the engines backed off as far as your can. Flaps can be put out to help with that, but remember we’re just arriving from the days of radial engines. Hanging the flaps all the way out above 125kts in an airliner is a pretty new concept! The F-27 can fortunately start to hang the flaps and put the gear down around 170 kts which really helps set up the approach. If you get the flaps and gear out early though, be prepared for a handful of wrestling the F-27 around the sky with the extra drag. A nice stable slightly power on approach is the best way to land the F-27 (and remarkably difficult to setup visually).

One of the neat features of the F-27 is that it doesn’t have a reverse setting from the props. Rather it has as a microswitch that actives if the throttles are back far enough (at least with my hardware it seems I have to be at idle) and the weight on wheels sensor activates, it will remove the flight prop pitch locks, and snap the prop blades into full ground fine (which is about 0 degrees). This basically turns each prop into a giant airbrake, bringing the F-27 to a nice short stop. Not gonna lie I flew about 10 touch and go’s figuring out how far back I had to have the throttles for this to work. When it finally did, it was immediately noticeable.

Another nice flight in a vintage airplane. I really am enjoying the older AC as there is a lot more to go wrong and a lot more to pay attention to, to keep them in the air.

7 Likes

Fourth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

Prepping the aircraft in MisterX’s wonderful KABQ airport.

The sun is rising at the Sunport

Plugging in the flight plan. Pretty straightforward.

Good engine start.

Checking left and right before taxiing

On Runway 8

Full power!

Up we go

Leaving the land of Breaking Bad

Climbing to 18,000 ft

I gotta say… the LES Saab 340A is a pretty sweet-looking plane. Systems modelling is solid too.

Progress

Crossing the desert… the sun is hot!

Time to put the sunscreen up

Climbing

As I reach my cruising altitude, I set my condition levers back to maintain a steady prop RPM of 1300

New Mexico, the home of the Navajos, is beautiful in its own dry, desertic and inhospitable way. Approaching the El Malpais National Conservation Area before crossing Zuni Pueblo.

Turning towards Phoenix

X-Plane lighting is always quite impressive

The Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest

Theodore Roosevelt Lake

Getting closer to Phoenix

Contacting ATIS. Looks like we have perfect weather.

On Final for runway 25L

Coming in pretty low, but speed is good and I have plenty of runway. If all else fails, I still have my reversers.

Touchdown is smooth as butter. My first landing in the Saab! I gotta admit… The autopilot seemed to behave kinda funky, so I landed the bird manually. It is very easy to handle. Looks like my time in the Q400 paid off!

Finally down.

Man… that’s a LOT of Southwest planes.

That 340 barely took any runway. Nice little plane.

To the gate we go.

Don’t mind me! Just passing by.

Now THAT is cool: you can actually click on the door lock and door handle to unlock the door and move your view through the whole aircraft!

Same goes for the side door

Aaaaand full stop.

5 Likes

Nice. :+1:

I’m really enjoying the Saab. It’s such an nice aircraft to fly.

The funkyness you mentioned with the autopilot, I don’t think it autolands. There’s something in the manual about switching off at 50ft on the radio altimeter. I need to check again next time.

Not really on landing… More like during climb and descent segments. I flew these manually and used the AP during cruise.

Ah ok.

Did you see the bit in the manual about three climb profiles on the autopilot? High, Medium and Low?

Descent I found I had to select a “plummet” manually and get it to hold the pitch.

Sucking eggs caveat applies with the above. :slightly_smiling_face:

Officially playing catch up with 2 V-tails who’ve managed to jump ahead! Started at CYXY and flew to PANC…

Unfortunately not much to see as the flight started around 0230Z…
The little light you see me focused on in this image is actually an Air Canada Dreamliner inbound for 15.

Imgur

I opted for 7L as I was planning to park on the far east side of the airport, I extended the landing down the runway to reduce the taxi time and just turned off at the far end of the runway

Imgur

Anchorage can be seen in the background, this is one of my favorite airports to fly to

Imgur

Several hours of sleep and multiple cups of coffee later, I climbed back in. Loaded with 175 Gallons of fuel, terrible headwinds at cruise and probably the worst decision I made regarding weather…here’s what I mean…

Imgur

Imgur

ERROR #1

PANC-PADQ
PADQ 102353Z 05026G35KT 1SM +RA BR OVC018 06/04 A2975 RMK AO2 PK WND 06040/2343 SLP075 P0019 60059 T00610044 10061 20050 58043

I had hoped the winds would have died down, they did (from G38). HOWEVER. It was not to be, during descent whilst passing 17000 I dipped into the clouds and immediately hit precip. Long before this I had setup the Anti icing equipment as I knew I was in for a challenge.

Imgur

Little did I expect, despite the AI systems best efforts it got overwhelmed. At one point the gusts flipped the plane over to about 20 degrees bank, AP disconnected and I took control. ERROR #2: I had missed the “0” in front of “05026G35KT”. I was planning for the wrong ILS the entire time, it actually doesn’t have an ILS for RWY08.
So at this point I’m hand flying the plane, I’m looking at the G1000 and notice that the ILS is on the wrong heading. Ok well that’s not going to work now is it. It’s not like there’s a backcourse and the visibility at this point dropped to 3/4SM. Now I begin to notice that despite the high power setting, not only am I losing altitude but my speeds bleeding off. What the hell? At this point I realize what’s happening, the AI system is overwhelmed. So I keep the power at max, maintain clean configuration and put the autopilot on to hold a heading as well as a 500FPM + rate of climb. Fortunately the TBM’s trusty PT6 powered through and pulled the plane out of this soup. I climbed up to 22,000 and started looking for any sort of diversion airports, the original one I had planned was now out of reach due to excess fuel useage earlier. I eventually planned for PAKN…

Imgur

Fly to PAKN, nothing exciting really occurs. Get established on the ILS, winds are direct crosswind from the left at 14kts. The autopilot is fighting it’s way down, fighting well by the way.

ERROR #3

I disconnect the AP, around 1000ft or so. I try to correct the left offset and end up going further right than I had anticipated. So now I’m back and forth across the LOC, but the GS is pretty steady so that’s a bonus?
Around 500 feet or so thing’s start to get out of hand, I’m being blown to the right still and I’m trying to slip into position.

I touch down, it wasn’t the softest but it got the job done. Just kidding. It didn’t, in about 3 seconds the plane is sideways down the runway and it’s fairly uncontrollable, no questions asked I apply full power and execute a go around

Imgur

The weather decides that it’s going to load the current metar and the winds drop to 7kts now, much better. Second landing is uneventful. I’m Still chasing these bonanzas… They’re departing from PACD to PAAK, I’m going from PAKN to PAAK.

Imgur

So here I am now…FL300 @ 318kts GS. Chasing down CXA844 and CXA577…
Also for those interested I typically stream these flights, so you are more than welcome to check it out, name is the same as here but with “100” on the end!

Sorry for the long post! Lots of progress! :grin:

7 Likes

Great and exciting trip there!

1 Like

Whooo Fokkers, you’ve got me now :wink:

Nice save(s) NickJZX. I’m always amazed at the bush flying that gets done in AK and Canada on old equipment without anti ice.

1 Like

Beautiful screens Chick Chuck_Owl. The Saab is definitely pleasing to the eyes and your airport scenery is outstanding.

2 Likes

Lulz. :no_mouth:

Ha. Daoh, first cup of coffee.

It was a wild flight, so far none of us have had any sort of luck with the weather out here. Everything is either crazy low vis or some wild wind gusts! Makes for some fun approaches!

Leg 5 Ordu (LTCB) to Noshahr (OINN)

Heading further east from one small unknown airport to another small unknown airport. This is now a longer 686 nm flight over Anatolia and northern Iran.

The winds at FL290 would favor a more southern route but for safety reasons I prefer to stay north as this allows me to stay further away from Syria. The FAA proposes a 200nm safety boundary (probably due to the S300 missile system which has about this range) around Syria which I’m going to scratch a little bit in the north-eastern part.

I understand that most war activities are currently happening in the western part of the country so that the north-east should not be a big issue.

My fully packed TBM-900 together with 270 gallons of fuel is now rather on the heavy side and the CG pretty much aft and close to the landing getting even further back. I’m wondering how much of a difference it will be with such a heavy loaded aircraft…

With the long runway, the wight of course is not an issue at all…

The aircraft climbs nicely almost as if the load would but nothing unusual…

Having experienced fuel shortage in one of my previous flights and now that I’m flying over mountainous terrain with very few airports on the route I do regular fuel checks. At least every half hour or at every waypoint I compare Expected Fuel on Board vs. Actual Fuel on Board and notice that I’m always safely above the expected value.

The sun gets down soon and I fly into the pitch black night.

After about 2h and 30 minutes I have the runway in front of me.

One can nicely see the lights showing the cost line as Noshahr is at the south of the Caspian Sea. I touch down nicely (I think I finally get used to this aircraft!) and shut down on the taxiway as this is the only thing of the airport that is actually modelled.

Maybe I could have chosen a nicer airport but at night it looks ok :wink:

5 Likes

I planned for my TBM-900 270 Gallons for my 686nm flight which makes about 0.39 USG per nm and 0.35 per statute. Not much of an improvement in regards to fuel/distance ratio in the last 50 years :laughing:

also considering that the trimotor is heaver and takes more load…

2 Likes

Fifth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

I’ve finally decided to pick up the Aeroplane Heaven Lancaster Mk IB. We’re flying in “G for George” (AR-G, W4783) from the RAAF No. 460 Squadron. This Lancaster flew 90 missions over Germany (90!) and occupied Europe between 1942 and 1944 without the loss of a single crewmember. Retired in 1944, “G for George” was flown to Australia to assist in the War Bonds drive. Post war, it was left to decay in the open air at RAAF Base Fairbairn, before being moved to the AWM in the early 1950s.

I have a special thing for the Lancaster. It’s one of the few airworthy WWII planes I’ve had the chance to see fly in Gatineau in the Wings Over Gatineau airshow… and then we were allowed to hop inside and visit it and talk to the pilots.

Caution: the bomb bay is H-U-G-E!

The crew enters by the side door

The Lanc’… What a truly magnificent plane.

Fueling up. There are “simulator switches” on the flight engineer panel that call the ground power cart and the refueling truck. Notice the ground power unit on the third engine: this is the first one we have to start in the start-up sequence. Nice touch from the developer.

First, we set the battery on (panel to the left of the pilot seat).

Then, we close the bomb bay doors. There’s a nice little menu that you can use by pressing LSHIFT+1, or you can just use the bomb bay lever in the picture above.

Doors open

Doors closed

On the Electrical Panel, we also need to make sure both generator and alternator switches are ON

Then, we switch over to the Flight Engineer Panel, and then set Starboard and Port fuel tank selector wheels (in red) to the No. 2 Tank. Don’t forget to lock them into position using the middle mouse button.

Checking fuel with the Fuel Contents switch.

Then, we switch on all four Fuel Booster Pump switches (DOWN = ON).

We then hold the Oil Dilution for No. 3 engine for 4-5 seconds. We shouldn’t need it, but it won’t hurt with these old, temperamental Merlin engines.

Pitot Heat ON

The engine start sequence is: 3, 4, 2 and 1.

Interestingly, this sequence order is based on the fact that only the inner engines carry generators to power the aircraft’s internal electrical systems, while the outboard engines have alternators.

So, about that engine start:

• Setting parking brake
  • Propeller pitch levers to Full Fine
  • Fuel cock for engines 3 and 4 Open
  • Magnetos for Engine 3 and 4 On
  • Master Ignition switch On
  • Radiator Shutter switch - Auto
  • Cracking up engine 3 throttle to half an inch

Clear prop!

Flipping the starter cover for engine 3, pressing the switch… and I get a first failed engine start. I wait a minute, then try again. As the Merlin roars into life and engine parameters rise up, I get a strange tingly feeling in my groin area.

Sing, Merlin bird, sing!

Engine run-up goes smoothly, oil pressures and temperatures look good, coolant temperature looks good too.

Generators and Alternators OK.

Closing doors (LSHIFT+E), releasing parking brake setting Navigation lights On and taxiing to Runway 26

I may or may not have left quite an oily mess behind me

Cracking up the window for some fresh oil-scented air

Taxiing towards Runway 26. I use a mix of left/right throttle control and differential braking.

Taking position on the treshold

Prepar3d can look good too!

Aligning my compass. I rotate the bezel (compass ring) until the red N is opposite the cross of the needle. The white lubber line indicates a heading of roughly 260, which shows that we’ve aligned this properly with the runway heading.

Setting all my radiators to OPEN

Another british-ism: you actually have to turn on the Flaps Meter Indicator Power switch in order to read the position of the flaps. Setting flaps 20 for takeoff and a little nose down trim.

Ready for takeoff. Manual prescribes the following:

• Set propeller pitch levers to full fine pitch
  • Open throttles eventuly and slowly, advancing the port throttles slightly to overcome any tendency to swing as you accelerate
  • Push the controls forward to assist the tail off the ground as soon as possible after opening to full takeoff power
  • Aircraft should be held in this position until at least 95 mph is achieved
  • At around 100 mph, ease the controls back to liftoff

How hard could it be? I allow my speed to build up to 130 and the aircraft flies itself off the runway.

Positive rate, reaching 500 ft. Gear up, flaps up.

Switching off fuel booster pumps

Climbing at 170 mph, steering 245, starting the clock. 106 nm to go in that direction.

Goodbye, Phoenix!

Settings for climb (Merlin XX): 2850 RPM, + 9 boost. Since these engines are old, I’ll settle for 2650 RPM and + 4 boost (Max Continuous).

View through the navigator’s office

View through the radio operator’s office

Back in the “old days”, radio and navigation frequencies used preset frequencies. The radio operator had to manually set every red, blue and yellow knob and match letter codes.

The developer also implemented a secret panel that uses a modern radio. Here, we have our frequencies set to the KSAN ATIS and the KSAN ILS.

Flying over the desert

I still can’t get over how bloody gigantic this plane is

It’s getting hot in here. The Lanc’ is like a greenhouse. Let’s use that retractable curtain.

Aaah… much better now.

Once I reached roughly 28,000 ft, I try to figure out the autopilot. As it turns out, the “Auto Controls” aren’t too complicated. First, you set the AP control lever to SPIN, and the AP Clutch lever to IN.

Once you’ve got the AP armed, you can engage it by setting the AP Control Lever to IN (FWD). Then, you can steer the aircraft using the Steering lever and set the aircraft attitude with the Attitude selector.

View from the Bombardier panel

A better view

View from the Astrodome

Are we there yet?

View from the front turret

Doesn’t look very comfortable…

So far so good. No catastrophic failures yet.

Approaching Yuma. I was supposed to come by the North but wind drift brought me south of the town instead. At least we know where we are. Here’s the Colorado river.

Gulf of California in the distance

We can observe the Planta de Energía Geotérmica Cerro Prieto ( Cerro Prieto Geothermal Power Station) on the Mexican border.

Salton Sea

Mount Laguna

Checking the fuel in the auxiliary tanks. 400 UK gal total, same as on takeoff since I didn’t use the aux tanks.

We’re still good on fuel. We left with roughly 1500 UK gal, and we’re starting our approach with about 1300 UK gal. I may have gone overboard with the fuel reserve. After all, it was a rather short trip (270 nm).

Reaching KSAN airspace. The ATIS announces that Runway 9 is in use, so I’ll have to change my initial plan to land on Runway 27.

Approaching San Diego

For the approach, the manual says:

• At 1500 ft, set speed to 135 mph with -1 lb boost and 2400 RPM. Set flaps 25 deg. Adjust trim
  • Once trimmed, increase throttle to 2650 RPM and +2 lbs boost and lower the undercarriage. Adjust trim.
  • At 600 ft, you should be on final at 130 mph, +2 lbs boost (level flight).
  • Reduce power to -2 to 0 lbs boost to achieve a descent rate of 400 ft per minute.
  • At 150 ft, lower flaps fully, open throttle to 2850 RPM and +2 boost.
  • Once over the treshold, close throttles and allow aircraft to settle on the main wheels.
  • Do not apply braking until tailwheel has touched down. Hold stick back for the remaining rollout and apply braking.

Swinging by MCAS/NAS Miramar to get to KSAN’s runway 9

On final

Easy there… that Lanc’ handles quite sluggish during the approach.

Almost there

Bombardier is about to need a new set of undies

Throttling up since I’m a bit too slow but the descent rate is good

Good landing. I came in a bit too slow: I did a perfect three-pointer instead of landing on both main gears as prescribed in the manual. Phew!

Clearing the runway

More Southwest planes… these guys are everywhere!

Shutting down the engines

Wow… that was a hell of a ride!

13 Likes