The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

So, after leaving Durban [FALE] at 05:00z and some 4.5 hours over the Indian Ocean, I’ve reached Madagascar [FMSD].
Great to see land, and land after some 850nm of ocean :wink:
Very boring flight, so I started singing to myself in between en route checks.
Sing along if you like - here we go:

We joined the Navy to see the world
And what did we see?
We saw the sea
We saw the Pacific and the Atlantic
But the Atlantic isn’t romantic
And the Pacific isn’t what it’s cracked up to be!

[from Follow the Fleet, 1936 movie]

Uploading: FMSD-landfall.png…

5 Likes

Is that a Pilatus PC12 you were flying earlier on? Great detail!

LEG 1 - Cessna 152 - Gastonia, NC (KAKH) - Mountain Air, NC (2NCO)
LEG 2 - Cessna 172 - Mountain Air, NC (2NC0) - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP)
LEG 3 - Cessna 182 - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP) - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM)
LEG 4 - T-34 Mentor - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM) - New Orleans, LA (KNEW)
LEG 5 - PA-28 Warrior - New Orleans, LA (KNEW) - Beaumont, TX (KBPT)
LEG 6 - PA-32 Lance - Beaumont, TX (KBPT) - Temple, TX (KTPL)
LEG 7 - Cessna 172RG - Temple, TX (KTPL) - Midland, TX (KMAF)
Intermission - Sub Orbital Flight
LEG 8 - A-36 Bonanza - Midland, TX (KMAF) - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ)
LEG 9 - Cessna 404 - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ) - Montrose, CO (KMTJ)
LEG 10 - Grumman AA-5B Tiger - Montrose, CO (KMTJ) - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC)
LEG 11 - BE-58 Baron - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC) - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2)
LEG 12 - Navion 205 - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2) - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D)
LEG 13 - J-3 Cub - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D) - Krassel, ID (24K)
LEG 14 - Mooney M20C - Krassel, ID (24K) - Enterprise, OR (8S4)

Over a two day period of February 24-25, 1992 I went over to the flight school in Conway, SC - North American Institute of Aviation - to obtain my multi-engine rating. The school specialized in training European students who would later take their licenses home and convert them. A large percentage of the students were from Norway as the school had a training agreement with Scandinavian Airlines. Not sure if @Troll ever made it through the area.

Conway was only 20nm from our airport in North Myrtle Beach, and we affectionately referred to the flight students out of NAIA as “The Conway Bombers”. I received 4.8 hours of multi-engine flight training in the school’s Piper Seminole N2085B and two days later took the airplane to North Myrtle Beach for my multi-engine FAA designee exam which I passed. I had a good bit of time already in the company Barons and Cessna 402s, so the Seminole was easy-peasy. It was like flying a twin Lance.

Our route today will be taking us out of Enterprise, OR over to Hanel Field, OR in the shadow of Mount Hood…

We will be in the Aerosphere PA44-180 Piper Seminole. I have an older version that seems to work fine in XP11.

As usual, I have the advantage of a nice GPS and autopilot that wouldn’t have existed in the plane I flew back in 1992.

Off we go into a stiff right crosswind…

On the climbout, just for old time’s sake, I shut down an engine…

The Seminole could squeak out a few hundred feet per minute of climb if flown correctly on a single engine. Basically put 2-4 degrees of bank into the good engine and fly the ball about a half width into the good engine. A good way to remember this is “raise the dead (engine)” wing…

I remember on my checkride my FAA designated examiner was very suspicious of the Seminole and its performance. We performed all engine shut down and restarts within easy single engine drift down distance to the airport in case the engine feathering didn’t happen. And lets face it - sometimes piston engines are reluctant to restart…so training should always be fairly conservative.

After a bit, I restart the engine and continue on my flightplan…

Just taking in the beautiful eastern Oregon countryside. Have I mentioned how much I love orthos?

Taking a jog south to avoid the restricted airspace around Boardman MOA…

Passing over Pendleton, OR…

Love X-Plane’s reflection abilities on the aircraft skin…

Mount Hood and Mount Baker coming into view on the extreme left and right…

A dam on the Hood River…

Coming up on our destination I decide it would be criminal to not go do a flyby of Mount Hood with the ridiculously good weather…

Descending back down into Hanel Field I go ahead and shut down the other engine for a single engine landing…

I spot the field out of the left window…

Interestingly, my air driven gyro gauges go out with the loss of the left engine. The vacuum gauge has a L/R indicator, but I can’t see anywhere to select L/R vacuum source - so I don’t know how to remedy that…

On safely…fun little airfield by “dkm”: HERE

So with my multi-engine rating in hand, I’m finally able to fly multi-engine trips at Ramp 66, but before I get to do much of that, a new opportunity will present itself out of the blue…

9 Likes

No, SAS moved their ab-initio training to europe, after NAIA. But I have a lot of colleagues who went there.

3 Likes

That’s a beautiful livery on that aircraft

1 Like

Nice AAR. Dubrovnik might feature in one of my Challenging Airports articles at some point down the road. You definitely don’t want to find yourself off course to the northeast of that airfield…!

The Dash certainly is gorgeous. I wish someone would give an X-Plane version that much attention to detail. I’d really love to see a full on Dash 8 100/200 sim for X-Plane (@Troll agrees!) :wink:

2 Likes

:smiley: That was funny…

Texaco kerosene? Oh…my “Will Not Carry” HAZMAT director will be furious!

Great report on the DC-3. And a nice payday!

1 Like

LEG 15 - Piper PA-44-180 Seminole - Enterprise, OR (8S4) - Hanel Field, OR (0OR9)

Another little quirky entry in my logbook. Just a bit after obtaining my multi-engine rating I was kicking around our home airport and got an interesting invitation. One of the airport regulars was a fellow named Ricky Griggs. He was a disabled pilot (I never asked how, but I suspect maybe polio?) who was super cool and nice. He owned a Piper Arrow that had specially modified controls so that he could use the rudder with hand controls. It was really nifty and gave him the ability to fly anywhere he wanted. He’d just work his way off the wing and pop into a wheelchair that he’d pull from the back and off he’d go.

He owned a business in Cheraw, SC that was successful and he surrounded himself in aviation. One year, he came into ownership of a pair of BAC Jet Provost trainers. He invited my friend and I (my instructor pilot Peter) over to Cheraw one weekend to take one of his Jet Provosts up for a spin with his mechanic/pilot/IA.

For this Christmas Flight leg #16 (we sure aren’t getting far for so many legs flown!) we will take the Jet Provost from Hanel Field, Oregon up to Auburn Municipal just south of Seattle.

The only Jet Provost I could find was for FSX/P3D, and this one seemed to work pretty well. Yes, it is a bit dated, and the textures and modeling are a bit rough - but it got the job done!

I loaded up with 30% fuel to make sure I could get off the 1,900’ long runway at Hanel Field…

It was a close calculation, but we got airborne just at the end of the runway…thankfully no trees!

Tuning in the Seattle VOR to navigate to Auburn Muni…

When Peter and I showed up in Cheraw that day, we didn’t know what a treat we’d be in for. With little fanfare, Ricky’s pilot got us strapped in on separate flights, we went through a quick familiarization, and off we went. The thing was a dream to fly - it was the first jet aircraft I’ve ever flown and the only jet trainer I’ve ever been in. We took it up and the demo pilot put it through its paces, with some rolls, wingovers, and a few other maneuvers. I was young and dumb and thrilled to be in what looked like a fighter to me. It was loud, a lot was going on, and we had no ejection seat, helmet, or parachutes. Another crazy aviation moment in my early career survived by sheer luck and relying on someone else’s skill. Nuts.

On the way up to Seattle, Rainier actually made an appearance…

We ate up the 100 or so miles in quick order and were soon descending slam dunk style into Auburn…

Speedbrakes out…

Buzzing the field, just as we did in Cheraw that day. I won’t say we were over 250 knots, but I think we were over 250 knots.

Pulling up and around, dirtying up, and flying the downwind…

Auburn has a 3,400’ long runway…

Too bad it wasn’t 3,700’ or my landing would have been perfect…!

No harm, no foul though…we didn’t hit the perimeter fence…

Me, 1995 in Cheraw, SC…

My buddy Peter…about to pee himself he is so excited…

I did not barf…despite looking like I might have…

In doing the research for this leg - I also learned that (this is becoming disturbingly familiar) Ricky passed away in just August of this year…at the age of 59. Thanks for the great memories Ricky. I’m sure all of Cheraw and the wider Carolinas misses your enthusiasm, smile, and generosity…

9 Likes

I do agree!
So do Skyline Simulations… :wink:

4 Likes

It’s a Socata TBM900 by hotstart!

High temps, a little too long off the GPU and we started the flight with a dead APU. Fortunately I had a single engine running, although it was a little difficult to start the rest with bleed air. With a quick bump of the throttle to get the necessary flow the second engine was started, while I waited for #2 to fire up I quickly reviewed the CIVA INS and verified all the necessary waypoints were in as well as total alignment. Click The ignition switch popped back into place and it was time to fire the final engine up. A short taxi out of ramp, back taxi down the runway and off we were into a steep climb up to the flight levels.

Backing up the CIVA with VOR’s, Radials and airways we were on our way to RPMR. The weather climbing out was slightly uneventful, it turned out to be 000/000. Hmmm. Odd. (Turns out ASXP would fix this next day)

There’s something glorious about FlyjSim’s 727 panel, it just looks phenomenal. Short turns into RPMR and we were down with no issues, minus the silly APU. Nothing flight safety breaking. Although this seemed to start a trend.

The weather hadn’t shifted much from the day before, still some low hanging clouds. Nothing really to be worried about fortunately.

Performing an NADP1 Takeoff, it was a turn to the right over the city, so necessary to keep the JT8D’s a little quiet. Clearing 3000 I dialed up a higher airspeed and slowly brought up the flaps as per schedule. The JT8D’s rocketed the 727 up at 3000FPM barely breaking a sweat.

Descending into Jayapura Sentani, the clouds had lingered on from before. Prior to takeoff I noted a Thunderstorm Sigmet north of my route. The winds would cooperate and continue to blow it North, Northwest away from my route. There is possibly foreshadowing in this picture below, I thought nothing of it at the time. Turns out I should have.

The overcast got thick, the METAR had mentioned something along the lines of OVC025. I knew there were mountains around but I hadn’t realized just how close I was going to be. Going from a plane with a GPWS to a plane without any glass gauges at all really teaches you to plan ahead for things like terrain. It was a bit unnerving going down into the clouds and the mountain lingering off to the left. I planned to be overhead the airport at 3000 feet.

Well, out of the soup at 3000 I was, which conveniently is when the field came into sight. Thankfully I was right on top of the field, however I was a little too close for comfort to those mountains.

A sort of broken teardrop approach thing occuring here

Now unfortunately I didn’t take too many photos this next flight. Jayapura to Honiara. Prior to departure the CIVA had failed. Ok fine, there were enough landmarks that I could do this visually. No airways, 1 VOR on the way and the destination airports VOR. Off I went. No issues. My alternate airport was AYPY. This is important because it’s 500nm-ish away from my departure and nearly 800 from my arrival. The flight up to about mid way point was perfectly ok. No issues following landmarks I had planned for. Roughly 450NM away from my destination the #1 fire handle lit up. Well this makes things interesting. At this point I have to continue to the destination, each minute it takes me to sort this fire out I’m moving 8NM per minute further away from the alternate. Pull the fire handle, nothing. Immediately cut fuel to that engine and it’s just windmilling. Still on fire, I try to get the extinguisher to work. Nothing. I hit the switch to transfer bottles and use up #2’s extinguisher to kill the flames on 1. In the short few minutes it’s taken me to deal with this I’ve not noticed my airspeeds decreased, the nose is rising. I noticed somethings off when looking at the engineer station, look back. 180kts and decreasing, full power and pitch nose down slightly to regain airspeed. Down to 26,000 feet.

I have extra fuel, which allows me to keep the remaining JT8D’s running close to max to keep the 727 aloft. The ground speed bleeds off, to a very reasonable 380kts. A tense hour and a bit roll by as I meticulously watch my engine instruments for any signs of abnormality. At this moment if another engine goes out that’s it. There’s nothing left but to ditch it in the ocean. I end up making it all the way to the airport thankfully. However because I’ve got a middle and a right engine, the opposite rudder needed to fight the asymmetric thrust is insane. If there’s one thing I’ve discovered, if you lose an engine, do not at all try to land with flaps 30. I could not for the life of me keep speed up. It bothered my brains normal function to pitch down on approach and increase power to reduce the descent rate as well as increase airspeed. Flaps 25 was the sweet spot and I could keep the plane flying. A mildly uneventful landing, which I could’ve made easier had I opted for a slight tail wind giving me some extra force against the asymmetric thrust.

Fire crews were on “standby”

Imgur

Waiting for several days, a new engine was finally flown in for the plane. JT8D’s aren’t easy to come by. Behind schedule it was time to get into the air. Departing at 3am has it’s perks, the plane looks good with only the ramp lights.

Off to Fiji we go, in the dead of night. A fixed CIVA also meant we could properly navigate to the next airport. Punching in the waypoints for B452 airway, verifying the fuel levels and weights it was off we go.

On a side note, XP has killer lighting. It just looks so good. Now all we need is volumetric clouds and we’re set.

I’ve seemed to have ran my luck of clear skies dry. Nothing but ceilings here. Nothing requiring an ILS but enough to keep me paying attention to exactly where I am based on DME’s.

The old girl is pretty slippery in the descent still too, it cruises at ridiculously high speeds as well. Comfortably too, I might add.

NFFN has 2 runways, so I picked a minor cross wind (070@5) and took runway 02 which would lead me right to the terminal on the right hand side. Nothing had gone wrong this flight luckily. Company higher ups told me however they were going to have a new plane out here for me shortly. Although I’m not sure what it is quite yet, it sounds like I’ll be going back to a prop plane. Let’s just hope it’s as capable as the TBM if it isn’t the TBM.

6 Likes

Seventeenth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

This time, we take the 777-300ERX with a kickass livery. Seems rather thematic since we’re going to Middle Earth!

Prepping the aircraft

Pushback

Lining up on the runway

Setting up 5 degrees of flaps for takeoff

Full power!

Up we go!

Climbing

The stars are beautiful

Climbing some more. The ocean is getting darker

Leaving Tahiti. I’m not a Boeing fan but I have to admit that the 777 flexing her wings is a thing of beauty.

Contrailing when reaching 30,000 ft. Our cruising altitude is FL350

Top of Climb. Wind turbulences cause some pitching oscillations from the autopilot.

Cruising

The flight is long and super boring.

Some clouds over Rarotonga (RG). We still have roughly 2100 nm to go.

Some interesting cloud formations over the Pacific. For some reason they remind me of this picture I saw once of “Mackerel clouds”.

More stars

More than halfway through

(Big Sigh) This is literally the most boring part of the whole Christmas Challenge… cruising over the Pacific. I’ve come to a point where I almost want an emergency to happen.

Approaching the North Island of New Zealand. We can see NZOH (Ohakea ) on the navigation display.

Land ho! North Island is to my right, but we’ll swing further south to land on South Island.

Crossing from North Island to South Island

The approach to Queenstown shouldn’t be too difficult with a normal plane… but with a heavy 777… the runway is going to be really, REALLY tight. Plus, no ILS is available, so it’ll have to be a a visual and manual landing… at night. (Gasp)

Overflying Christchurch

Starting my Descent near ELRUV

The mountains of Middle Earth!

Preparing the altimeter. Don’t want to mess this up!

Following the STAR

At least visibility isn’t too terrible. Almost no clouds!

In the STAR

On Final

Terrain! Terrain!

Lining up the runway

The approach has to be really steep and I have to come in a bit hot…if I can come in close enough and float a bit, maybe I’ll have enough runway to stop.

Nailed it

Eating up runway

Holy cow… couldn’t have been closer than that. I can start breathing now.

Turning back to rollback the runway towards the parking area.

We made it! Whoo!

Parked

Welcome to New Zealand. Time to explore Middle Earth together!

That’ll be in the next episode. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Nice leg. That RNAV arrival looks exciting. Lots of lumpy stuff to hit in the vicinity.

LEG 15 - Piper PA-44-180 Seminole - Enterprise, OR (8S4) - Hanel Field, OR (0OR9)
LEG 16 - BAC Jet Provost - Hanel Field, OR - S50 Auburn, WA

Next up in my logbook was an aircraft checkout in a based owner’s Cessna 210. I really liked the 210 - it felt like an even bigger Cessna 182. I didn’t have a 210 to use in either X-Plane or P3D, and didn’t feel like dropping $15 on a version for a single leg, so I’m going to use the Cessna 206 as a stand in. No, it doesn’t have retractable gear or a non-cantilevered wing, but it is close enough for government work.

Our flight will take us up through downtown Seattle for a nice, scenic flight and then over to 3W5 - Mears Field in a valley north of the city…

A good bit of moisture is streaming up from the southwest…so we will be low-level today to stay out of the crud…

The Alabeo Cessna 206 still looks good and performs nicely. Engine oil temperatures and cylinder heads run a bit too hot, but otherwise everything seems functional.

Blasting off out of Auburn…

Conducting a low approach at Sea-Tac…

Followed a few minutes later by a low approach down the runway at iconic Boeing Field…

Heading toward downtown Seattle…

Up north of the city the suburbs start to peter out…

After a bit, we turn eastbound and follow the Skagit River up into the foothills…

Soon we are lining up for Mears Field…

Nice leg in a nice plane. We are getting to Pago Pago in small chunks! Not sure if we will manage it by Christmas, but we are pedaling hard!

9 Likes

LEG 16 - BAC Jet Provost - Hanel Field, OR - S50 Auburn, WA
LEG 17 - Cessna 206 - Auburn, WA (S50) - Mears Field, WA (3W5)

Another logbook oddity pops up on April 5, 1997 when I provide another Instrument Competency Check in a C-23 Beechcraft Sundowner N1963L. The 180 hp, fixed gear Sundowner was basically a renamed Beechcraft Musketeer.

There is aC-23 out on the market for X-Plane by Leading Edge Simulations and had I thought ahead a bit, I could have picked it up for a bit over $7 during the X-Aviation 50% off sale a few weeks back. Not wanting to spend the full $15 for a one-time use airplane that might not even work in X-Plane 11, I elected to search for a comparable airplane elsewhere.

I remembered coming across an airplane on Jason Chandler’s really cool X-Plane add-on site and a quick visit showed that the freeware AADX Hawk IIX.V was a pretty close replica to the C-23 shape and design.

Of course, Chandler’s Hawk is his own design, and features an interesting R-13 Wankel (rotary) engine of Mazda fame. His turbo-boosted R-13 ends up with a nominal horsepower of 160-180 hp. Some of the features:

• HKS Turbocharged 2-Rotor 1.3L R13 Wankel w/ 2 blade constant speed prop
  • Turbo critical alt, 18,000
  • Water cooled, ambient, inlet & amp; prop airflow directed through radiator
  • Closed loop electro-hydraulic retract gear
  • Low stall speeds in the sub 50 range, sub 40 if you’re good and light
  • Cruise speeds 140-160 KIAS
  • Standardized AADX panel layout and ergonomics

One look at the panel and we can see this isn’t your dad (or grandfather’s) Sundowner. With dual screen PFDs, a clean central instrument pillar with engine and systems gauges, a dual GNS install, and an autopilot - the Hawk has a spacecraft interior.

Startup is a quick and easy affair and I plug in a flight plan for a short, 90nm hop up to Squamish Airport, Canada. We will shoot over to the plains near Vancouver to take advantage of the waterways of Howe Sound and the Squamish River to make our way under VFR to the VFR-only airport.

A bit of a gloomy day as we take to the sky. The overcast is hovering right around our planned flight altitude of 8,000’. I keep the power pulled back, and leave the landing gear extended to emulate the Sundowner, shooting for a cruise speed of around 120 knots.

While heads down to sort out how to work the autopilot, I almost ran into this mountain…tsk, tsk…

On our way with the autopilot flying. We scoot along the base of some clouds so I go ahead and fly an IFR altitude and track the VOR radials to get where I’m confident of an IFR descent into VFR conditions.

Some toothy looking peaks…

Getting closer to Vancouver…

Making the turn to track the Whatcom 299 radial for 42 DME, which should put me over Howe Sound…

Cross checking with the GNS…

Once we clear that ridge, we will be good to descend…

The weather holds up and the plan works as we drop down toward the Squamish River…

Soon the valley starts to neck down and a few minutes later Squamish airport is in sight…

The Hawk is a nice flying machine. I elect to land straight in to runway 33 despite a 13 knot tailwind - probably safer than circling to the north of the field…

I only use about 1,200’ of the 2,400’ long runway…

I park on the ramp next to an airplane I wish was in my logbook - the Lake Renegade.

A nice hop in the Hawk / C-23. I don’t actually remember much from the real airplane other than that it felt like an honest aircraft. Since we were doing an ICC, I was mostly observing the other guy shoot multiple approaches and it seemed like a pretty stable IFR platform.

The flight track of my route to Squamish…

5 Likes

The Alabeo C207 is one of my favorites. The interior is such a masterpiece of worn fabric and panels, a sim pilot can almost smell a mixture of 100LL, degraded rubber, and mildew. I was flying it around oregon the other day tinkering with VR settings and at first I thought that the the CHT gauge was broken. But a quick half cycle of the mixture knob woke it up. Great airplane.

Was that standard X-Plane scenery for Squamish? Or an ORBX airport? Or?

I’ve got ORB’s Squamish for FSX…one of my favorite areas to fly.

As I mentioned earlier, for some unknown, possibly mild OCD caused, reason I have decided that for each of the remaining legs to…to…to wherever we are going (somewhere in the Pacific), I will chose the aircraft to be flown based on the country of origin of the flight. In other words, use the national civil or military registration from departure airfield. And it has to e an aircraft already kn my virtual hangar.

This is not as easy as it seems. I fortunately had a Croatian Airlines Dash-8 for Leg 7. Leg 8 proved to be a bit trickier. I thought for sure I had a Turkish Airlines livery somewhere…nope.

Then I discovered my Milviz F-4E in TAF colors. So that is what I am going with for the next installment. Here it is, waiting for me at the military side of Antalya (LTAI).

I’ve had to drag my TM Warthog over from my DCS PC…and review the Youtube tutorials…and remap some Warthog buttons…and take a few practice turns around the pattern…I’ll launch off in a day or so. Currently the destination is Jordan (Royal Jordanian Airlines L1011). After that…? Singapore or Malaysia…or?

6 Likes

A superb choice my man. :+1:

1 Like

Ah, the Mudspike Christmas Flight! About a month ago it occurred to me this might be coming up so I checked. And quite a nice destination this year. I got the “take off from the airport closest to your home location” part but forgot the “with a load of gifts” part and had to improvise, as we’ll see. Here’s one single PIREP for my three-flight journey, so please forgive the length. X-Plane 11.25 for the flight and the following pics.

Drove over to my home field, KTUS Tucson, Arizona, USA on a typically sunny autumn day at the cargo ramp. For a brief moment I thought I’d just stay home, click a lot of gifts on Amazon, and sub-contract this out to one of the big 3:

But that wouldn’t be in the spirit of the season or the Mudspike Flight. Instead, I commissioned a special paint on my newest acquisition:

C5 Galaxy–I was planning on lots of gifts this year. The C-130 Hercules from last year would not do.

Taxied out at Tucson and departed northbound:

Some time and a fair distance later I descended through the clouds at dusk for PAFA-Fairbanks, Alaska:

After one go-around (I cannot find a chart for Vref approach speeds at various weight and flap settings for the C5 Galaxy–if anyone has one, please alert me–and am having difficulty getting the big plane down without being long or bouncing as I guess at the proper speeds), taxied in and parked up:

Left it there for a few days while I re-positioned myself to help with the Anchorage earthquake. Oh yea, why PAFA Fairbanks? Because I was picking up a bunch of gifts from North Pole. North Pole, AK:

Time was passing by and Alaska felt even colder knowing others were en route to Pago Pago so I headed out to coordinate the loading. Opened the front and back of the C5 to expedite loading:

When all was secure and the forklift drivers well tipped, an uneventful climb-out had me southbound in the winter sun:

A short while later, after an uneventful over-water flight, I descended for landing at Honolulu, Hawaii. I think I could have made Pago Pago in one go from Fairbanks but I was heavy with cargo and a bit concerned with fuel; also, my organization is stretched thin right now so I was having trouble finding relief pilots–I’d have to do this non-revenue flight on my own–so a layover by Waikiki sounded good. Got down, not pretty, on 08L and parked in an out of the way spot:

Ah, island warmth, island time, a few iced Konas, some surfing on the north shore. Uh, “layover” turned into a longer stay. Then one day I remembered I still had a job to complete. Besides, the non-stop Christmas muzak and sidewalk Santas were messing with the island vibe, so back to the airport. Checked that the cargo tie-downs were still secure, checked the weather en route and at Pago Pago, called ahead to be sure there’d be parking space for me, then filed the flight plan, engine start and taxi out. I fly from PHNL frequently in my 777 but have always used runway 08L. I’ve always wanted to use the “reef runway” and given both my parking proximity (so shorter taxi time) and the fact that I’m still not expert with the C5 (so maybe out of the way would be good for everyone), I decided to use 08R reef runway for takeoff:

Ah, the Pacific is a big place. Even in a big jet. Settled in at FL280 for cruise above the clouds:

And then it was back to business. Tutuila Island came into view. I radioed down to NSTU-Pago Pago for approach clearance. I had been on autopilot while enjoying Amy Grant’s second Christmas album on the in-flight sound system and found myself past TOD. So I flew a break pattern over the field and set up for a long final:

Home_For_Christmas_-_Amy_Grant

Put it down on runway 05. Not great, not horrible, but needed most of the 10,000 feet. Back-taxied on 26 and turned onto the cramped parking apron:

Parked up and shut down the engines. Hey, wasn’t that Hawaiian jet at PHNL when I left?

My arrival was attracting attention from folks at this nicely modeled scenery (Cami de Bellis’ in X-Plane):

Though this one didn’t seem to care:

Enough messing around, time to complete the mission. Off-loading the gifts. As the saying goes “articles may have shifted in flight”; I opened the back ramp and some spilled out. Then the ground crew got to work:

And that, pilots, is that. A little detour made my flight longer this year, but got it in before Christmas! Last year, with the C-130 Herc, I continued on to go around-the-world to get home. That burned me (and the plane) out for a while, so this year I think I will soak up some south Pacific cheer then just head home direct. Until next Christmas, Pilots, happy holidays and Happy 2019!

6 Likes