Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread

No prob. Land a 172 in that.

1 Like

020 at 50G62 - some of our Spikers that are considering using helicopters better not fly past the runway on the downwind or they may end up in Japan…! :rofl:

3 Likes

We will put it into hover over Alaska and drift all the way to destination airport using these favorable winds :wink:

1 Like

I’m currently in negotiations with the wife to allow the purchase of the AW139 for this very event.

Admittedly I’ve just bought a new roof and signed up to an aerobatics course at my flying club in our new slingsby s67 so my buying power as at a big time low with wifey at the moment :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I read this in the voice of Vasily Borodin for some reason…

3 Likes

Thread went quiet. Time to wake-it-up again.

Plans being made to fly from KSGR > SEATAC > PANC…

(side trip 1) PANC > PAKN > Katmai (Brooks Camp) > PAKN > PANC
(side trip 2) PANC > PTKA > AK06 (Denali) > PTKA > PANC

…PANC > (layover TBD) > PAAT (Attu dropoff) > PANC

Planes (so far):
Dassault Falcon 7x
de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter

X-Plane 11

3 Likes

That 7X will eat up the miles pretty quickly. And I think it actually has pretty good short field performance if you really wanted to use it all the way.

3 Likes

Loved the Falcon 7X in FSX and after the switch just recently to XP11, looking forward to enjoying it once again.

1 Like

Just flew the first leg of the Atlantic crossing. Hoping to do it all real-time this year, so I figured I’d get a headstart.
@BeachAV8R where is the screens & AARs topic?

3 Likes

Only ten or fifteen more OrthoXP tiles to download… Good thing I freed up about a terabyte by shifting some things to web-based storage.

Too bad my internet has gotten slower and more frequently drops out. I really, REALLY hate AT&T.

2 Likes

Here ya’ go! Best of luck on the trip!

2 Likes

Think you forgot the link.

Wheels

1 Like

I did inded…! Thanks - added it to my post too… something something short term memory something…

My major issue with almost all the forklift simulations on the market (whether stand alone or part of another product like Farming Simulator or Construction Simulator) is that they do a very poor job of accounting for the friction between loads as weight is added. Probably a niche problem however lol

3 Likes

I now have this image of @jenrick sitting on his forklift under the night sky on a featureless plain somewhere, thoughtfully taking measurements from the stars with his sextant, then continuing on his way to the distance with the electric engine whirring steadily…

9 Likes

And that’s what I get for having too many tabs open, lol.

No plans for a forklift for tht Xmas flight, but who knows let me see what is available at Avsim and the like lol.

@Bearhedge that literally made me a laugh out loud. I have been planning on using the sextant for the flight, much easier to get good sightings when you’re static.

4 Likes

heh, nice bit of poetry there! funny too!

2 Likes

@Hangar200 hasn’t banned poetry from this thread yet so I swooped in :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Back to the topic at hand, I need to give this some actual consideration this time, as far as time, route and commitment goes.

Last year I couldn’t make the trip and the year before I ended up making up lost time in the SR-71, which was fun to try out once but not really how I wanted to do it.

NZWP - PAAT is 5,362NM direct route. A 1,600NM range aircraft would enable an island hop more or less directly North: not very exciting from a landscape point of view but fast:

I could go NW into SE Asia, which would provide a more exciting trip, landscape-wise - although the amount of graphics tweaking I’m likely to do may be limited.

Alternatively I could point the nose NE to start with, see where in the Americas I’ll end up making landfall and trekking up from there. I quite like this plan, but it may require more time than I have.

As to my steed of choice, I’ve been tempted by the Take Command!: Hot Start TBM 900, which has been used by a few for this trip before, I believe:

TBM 900

It isn’t cheap, but looks like a module with quite a bit of depth - it would add a turboprop and a glass cockpit to my hangar selection and at 250kts cruise the trip wouldn’t take forever. Range is 1700NM+ so I could do the direct island trek up North with it.

What are you guys going to fly (or are you leaving it as a surprise?)

4 Likes

Every year I finish the trek in something slow and say ‘next year I will use a faster airplane’, and then I pick something slow when the next trek comes around.

The TBM900 is excellent. You won’t regret buying it.

2 Likes