The pilots forced to change career completely

This article reminded me of why I’m so happy all the active duty pilots here at Mudpike still seem to be gainfully employed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not a day goes by when I don’t think about how fortunate I am right now. Hopefully my luck will hold.

3 Likes

Same here…

1 Like

Pilot friend of mine has been without work since May without any prospects on the horizon.

Wheels

Agreed. It’s done great things for military pilot retention in the last year.

2 Likes

Same here, guy i went to school with hasn’t flown in almost a year now.

I don’t fly professionally only for fun. But I haven’t flown in so long I’m legitimately going to have to sit down and have some training again before I fly. I was ok at the start of all this and did a few flights here and there to keep current, but since then I’ve started a business, changed jobs, sub contracted to various firms, worked 23 hour days pretty regularly and switch from nights to days multiple times a week.

I feel like I can only retain so much stuff in my head and the skill bleed has to affect me somewhere and I am sure it will be the flying. I do try to keep on top of it by re checking my PPL tests and I pass them every time but I don’t feel the knowledge I did before if that makes sense. I’m very worried about it. Not the actual flying part of it. I can take off and land with my eyes shut pretty much but its the rest of the spectrum I am concerned about. I am definitely going to be grabbing @Scoop for a “pleasure flight” at some point and making him put me through the wringer. All for fun obviously…

1 Like

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes”? [Juvenal, Satire VI, lines 347–3480

I need a bit of practice too. Haven’t flown for about three months. But for the Huey I would be climbing the wall. I need a collective.

1 Like

I’m perfectly happy allowing you to watch over me. I’ll take 10k flying hours and sit up and listen a bit :wink:

1 Like

I was thinking the same. I knew a bunch of guys who had already or were about to give the one finger salute to the USAF and go to the airlines.
Covid really changed those plans.

1 Like

IME, a couple of hours dual, and you’ll be right back in the saddle, especially if you occasionally fly circuits in a civi sim. Try to make it as real as possible, making your coms as you would IRL and flying by the numbers.

1 Like

I had this feeling last time I had a couple of months off and was fine going solo straight away but this time i am not gambling. Few hours with a competent person and ill feel happier.

3 Likes

Like Paul, Troll and Boomer, I could not be luckier. Although my seniority would have made me relatively safe regardless, I credit ALPA (my union) and my airline. No pilots here were furloughed. And if 2021 is even marginally better than 2020, we will likely need to hire. Fingers crossed.

6 Likes