TM Warthog... worth upgrading from the X55?

If you are referring to the throttle panel, I think that it’s my favorite part of the Warthog. It’s specific to the A-10, but lots of aircrft share the same systems or nearly. Like moving the throttles out of off fuel cutoff to idle and the momentaries for the starters. What isn’t specific can be assigned to other useful functions. No autopilot in lots of aircraft, so I assign that switch to canopy functions. Just an example.

Congratulations Paul!
When you spend this much time with the Sim, it is totally worth it to have a good stick. You will not regret it. You will need to learn the software but its pretty good. I use one profile for nearly everything. My Nose steering is actually programmed to “Ctrl” and I have a button on the Throttle programed to “Shift”. This effectively triples the amount of commands per button.

I think you will be happy with it.

Your next quandary, “To T.A.R.G.E.T. or not to T.A.R.G.E.T., that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of the T.A.R.G.E.T. programing interface and memory use Or, to take arms against it and just use FSUIPC…”

I tried using T.A.R.G.E.T. It isn’t that bad–nice GUI to help you program the buttons and axises, etc. Even a nice print out of what does what for each profile. That said, it isn’t all that intuitive and requires you to drop out of FSX to adjust things…I grew frustrated. Plus, although I’m OK on RAM in FSX (usually) I really didn’t need another program running. (IRTrak,UTII, TACPACK, FSX@WAR, etc.) I switched over to FSUIPC and have been pretty happy.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any problems with Target, there’s a few really nice profiles out there for DCS. Foxy also looks interesting although I havent messed too much with that.

Yeah…the Shakespeare quote was probably a little over the top.

I didn’t mean to give the impression that I had problems with TARGET, …just that at the end of the day, I was happier just using FSUIPC. Its a personal choice type of thing.

I’m not using DCS (yet) so I guess if I did, TARGET would be required?

With the X55 I rarely used the programming software. I just set things up within the sim. Maybe that wasn’t the best way though. With the new gear I might have to try using TARGET.

If you want to absolutely program everything on the stick then yes, but most of the times I don’t bother with it unless I need to some fancy 3-way switch.

Definitely try it! Like I said it as a cool GUI that is easy to use.

And if you want to keep the switches acting as they should - i.e. 3 way switches actually as 3 way switches, TARGET is the only way to go. FSUIPC does not treat the switches the same way. :frowning:

So plenty capability with TARGET - I would definitely play with it for a while. For myself, I found having to start the app, load the correct profile, activate the correct file and then load FSX a bit cumbersome…but that is just impatient me.

I’ll play with it and see how I like it. Most of my simming is with DCS these days, and after getting XP11 I took the bold step of deleting my FSX installation. Both DCS and XP11 seem pretty straight forward to configure.

So…the Dr. Evil avatar is apropos. :wink:

Well, I tend to gravitate towards the military sims because I will never get to do that kind of flying IRL. :wink:

1 Like

I like TARGET. It gives me more options than I need. i.e. Press button and it does this, release and it does that… Also I use one profile for almost everything. You really should use the software. I find it fun to use.

Very happy TARGET user here. However, I’ve been considering moving to something more generic with the concern that I might be using a different base for the Warthog stick, or a whole different HOTAS rig one day.

It arrived! Yay!!

I knew it was going to be a step up in quality from the X55, but WOW! I should have done this a long time ago.

The keyboard tray arrangement will work well enough for now, but I might have to do something better in the long term.

Thanks again for all the input and comments guys!

5 Likes

You seem to be missing…a…beer coaster…

1 Like

A mudspike beer coaster…

2 Likes

And a great idea was spawned…

2 Likes

Just as a suggestion I started with a short keyboard between the joy and throttle. Now I use a full size kb. Took some getting used to

Nice! Feels good doesn’t it, the steel controls?!

Gimbals is something Thrustmaster could learn a thing or two from VKB from.

1 Like

Yes indeed, it is certainly a big step up from the X-55 when it comes to feel. LOL, it even makes the yoke of the Global Express seem plasticky.

So far, I have just flown the A10C with it as I am lazy and didn’t want to get into mapping the controls for the other modules. I might get into that tomorrow.

Flying the A10C with this setup is incredible, especially in VR. It just feels “right”. I am using the autopilot more (because it’s already correctly mapped). Great for when you are heads down with the TGP. I have mapped the VR Zoom function to the switch on the left side of the left throttle. I believe that most people use that for lights but it is very handy to select VR zoom and have it stay there. Iit is a function that has to be held, which was a pain on the X-55. Gun passes are awesome in VR now… roll in, VR Zoom on, first stage of trigger, then BRRRRRRRRRT… Oh Yeah!

I’m one happy camper :slight_smile: .

3 Likes