Today In the Shadow of Mordor

FRODO: I can’t do this, Sam.
SAM: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy. How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened.
But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. Because they were holding on to something.
FRODO: What are we holding on to, Sam?
SAM: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

https://youtu.be/k6C8SX0mWP0

4 Likes

I can’t tell if this is for the US election or for DCS World 1.5.5 Beta…but it must be for the beta, since we don’t do politics here…right? ahem RIGHT?!

1 Like

It’s not for CoD: Infinite Warfare?

1 Like

Your both wrong. It’s for the continue decline of the Green Bay Packers.

1 Like

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But
that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with
the time that is given us.”

2 Likes

This being a flightsim site and all of us focused on aviation…did you ever wonder why Gandalf didn’t whistle up those big eagles that rescue Frodo and Sam, in the first place and let Frodo just “dive bomb” the Ring into that volcano?

Yeah, the bad guys had their own “air force” - those flying dragons - but still a “squadron” of those big eagles should have been able to establish at least temporary air superiority over the target area…and Frodo wouldn’t had his finger bit off…just say’n.

3 Likes

That was kinda covered in the books- Gandalf was friends with the Lord of the Eagles, but he purposely kept his type out of most of the conflict, until the armies of Mordor presented a direct threat to them- which was what happened at the Battle of the Black Gate. Also if I remember right, Gandalf had to go find them, which took some time.

2 Likes

So basically this reflects the F-22 story?

3 Likes

"Lord Eagle, as your good friend for the better part of the past five score years, it is with bent wings and a lowered beak that I beseech your attention be drawn to the affairs of ground walkers, a matter typically some number of Angels beneath you.

For you see, the great powers that threaten to kill us all… are tasty. Extremely tasty. Might I suggest you move the aerie over here, that you and your squadron may fall readily from the sky upon countless hapless Uruk-Hai. They are high in protein, and recent voices would have me believe excellent in a light coating of simmered blood-sauce, as made famous by the ancient peoples of Nov’bro’kharmagnasidhodifhagho’sue’whey.

Will you not hear our plight?

Will you not fight for an old friend?"

THERE I just created a plot device for you.

2 Likes

Needs more Numenorian references.

Or, if we’re skipping right to the Peter Jackson adaptation, which would require an army of elvesleg by Legolas, who’s riding atop Gwaihir like he’s surfing.

2 Likes

obligatory (NSFW - Language)

1 Like

Thing is, I’d love a Gwaihir flight sim. Mount doom, armies, Sauron’s eye and all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the ticket…I’m kind of getting bored the DCS world…“DCS Middle Earth”!

1 Like

I just want to know whether the “eagles module” will be full fidelity or DCS Lite?

1 Like

Im gonna be a feather counter

1 Like

I’m wondering about its beak performance…
Gotta love the variable geometry wings though, plus the fact it’s multicrew… Well you might even call it the Fantasy version of the F-111!:f111:

1 Like

Crikeys, but i bet the eagles wing pivot box is slightly better designed

Well, we can safely assume Giant eagles never lost any critical part in flight.
Unless when ballistically challenged by Catapult boulders, that is…

1 Like

Only flight sim where a Bird Strike is a good thing

2 Likes