Top Gun: Maverick Trailer

And for a ride in the back of that Cat there will be Goose Jr.

2 Likes

And it seems he finally learned which way that throttle goes!!

The parts of the trailer with planes in them look pretty good. Might watch that.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really hyped. The quality of scenes seems really good. I never seen original Top Gun on a big screen in the past and the prospect of seeing the F-14 in all its glory is very exciting. :f14::sunglasses:

1 Like

Just watched the original Top Gun opening five minutes. Showed it to Kai. He probably wondered why I was getting all misty eyed. Might have some language in itā€¦but I might show it to the boys tonightā€¦another Star Wars moment.

F14 retrofitted for stealth?

1 Like

You knowā€¦ of all the cheesy stuff they could pull off- that I would love.
Like- really and unsarcastically.

Underrated comment! :smiley:

4 Likes

These guys have taken what they learned in the Blues to create the Attack Diamond.

ā€œFrom the right ladies and gentleman, the Trail Attack Pass and Review Vapor Burst!ā€

5 Likes

AIM-9X and GBU-24. Interesting.

Guess that tought him not to buzz the tower!

2 Likes

Come to think of it, do we know which year TG is happening?
I mean, it still says

:rofl:

Maverick has a new patch on his jacket in the new movie.

Looks like it says ā€Indian Ocean Cruise 85-86ā€, so I guess the timeframe is correctā€¦ :wink:

6 Likes

I thought I would never be as excited for an upcoming film as I was for Mad Max : Fury Road.

I was wrongā€¦ This trailer nearly had me vibrating off my chair with excitement. Top Gun was my entire childhood. I may even break my personal embargo on going to the cinema to watch this (imposed due to a loudmouth, rude and bad mannered lady standing in front of me right at the moment han solo bought the farm and another childhood hero diedā€¦I hate cinemas)

1 Like

I think they learned this from the MiG-28ā€™s on that UN mission over the Indian Ocean back in 85 or 86. :wink:

8 Likes

ā€¦doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m not going to see it. :grin:

In my house, the original is simply known as ā€œthe movieā€ as there is no need to distinguish it otherwise. True other movies have been made over the decades and I suppose a few like Casablanca and The Godfather and are worth a footnote of recognition. However, I think all would agree that, with Topgun, film makers reached the zenith of the cinematic craft.

I saw the movie in 1986, in the theater. I did not bring a date because I did not want to be distracted. It was an experience that I do not discuss much because the movie spoke to me on many levelsā€“intellectual, emotional, spiritual, aeronauticalā€¦

Given that this film has Navy jets, flying from aircraft carriers and making things go boom, it will likely ascend to a penultimate position in the hierarchy of film, likely earning it the moniker, ā€œThe Other Movieā€.

ā€¦just sayā€™n.

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

/IRIAF just joined the room

8 Likes

I disagreeā€¦aside from Iron Eagle IV, there has never been a more realistically authentic movie ever produced!

:dizzy_face: Whoaā€¦that was a bit too muchā€¦I had better sit down. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Top Gun was definitely the most authentic movie when it comes to flying against a MiG 28ā€¦while inverted. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Full answer your question:

If you fail to select for LCDR, two times, you are out. You start out processing as soon as the promotion message hits the streets.

If you donā€™t make CDR after two looks, the promotion board votes to ā€œcontinueā€ you. It is not an automatic thing. The board can also vote for you to Show Cause if your record is bad enough. If continued, mandatory retirement is at 20 years.

Once you make CDR, you are good until 20 years.

Once you make CAPT, mandatory retirement is 30 years.

(I retired at 28 years, 8 months. I was having my outgoing change of command. I figured ā€œwellā€¦Iā€™ve got the band for free and everybody is already dresses upā€¦might as well just do it now.ā€)

Once you make Admiralā€¦Iā€™m not sure but I think it is 40 yearsā€¦or 65 years oldā€¦Congress can extend that as they did with Rickover.

3 Likes

Iā€™m stoked! With regards to realism, some of my favorite fighter jet movies include Firefox, Flight of the Intruder, Top Gun, Stealth, and the first Iron Eagle. :grin::sunglasses::f14: To be honest, when I want realism I watch documentaries. Iā€™m easily impressed anyway.

2 Likes

This is a list I like a lot! :smiley:

3 Likes