TV or dedicated PC monitor for 4K?

Building a new PC sim desk here quite soon, the L shaped one I have just now is past its best and just plain awkaward, so one long desktop unit will be built here soon … most of the parts are here just now actually, a solid wooden door, adjustable height legs, under desk cable tidy tray ETC.

With MS FS2020 around the corner and perhaps the inevitable Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti this year too, thought now would be a good idea to try a 4k large screen.

I’m doing OK for my hobby rooms 2 sim monitors still, a Dell 30" and a Dell 34" ultrawide curved monitor, prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio, for a new screen it would need to be 40" + anything above 50" would be too big for my space I guess? Maybe not … UI scaling is important too for high res reading small print stuff.

Pro’s and Cons I see so far, dedicated PC 4K screens seem to have more options such as USB hub n more, TV 4K screens seem to be cheaper … used to be TV screens of same spec were awful for Flight sim, but this does not seem to be the case any more, many modern large screen 4K TV’s are being used by simmers in the community and i see no real complaints.

If anyone here is using a large screen 4K TV as a monitor for simulation, would love to hear your feedback and name/model.number ETC.

I do have an Oculus Rift, but unfortunately with broken neck now bolted back together, its just there for once in a while WOW factor … I NEED to sim on a fixed screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again B12

I went through this on a separate thread. Resolution or refresh rate for a dcs monitor?

I ended up getting a Samsung 7100 55" TV. 4K 90 fps as used by Gunnyhighway. Best price a few weeks ago in UK was Argos. I am very happy with this, easily able to read Hornet displays, see the carrier guidance etc

1 Like

Like Scoop said, we’ve both been through a similar process recently. When you look for a TV, make sure its got that 4:4:4 color and the lowest latency you can get. The gaming monitors will have features such as Gsync, but I would argue you don’t need that if you are running at 60hz. Gsync pays off when you are trying to run at 120 or 144hz and your pc cant keep up. 4k 60 is pretty easily attainable with a 2080 so that 3080ti will be ripping.

I’m sure the dedicated gaming montiors are “better”, but I couldn’t justify the massive price increase for what I would consider slight improvements. If youre trying to be worlds #1 Counter Strike player then you could probably benefit from them. If you just want super crisp visuals and colors while flying around, can’t really go wrong with a solid TV.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, fantastic advise, not a major shooter player, do like to mess around in ARMA 3, rarely on line though, gonna go check this TV out, 55" seems ideal for me for simulation needs …on a Titan X Pascal 12mb just now, but waiting for the 3080 series to land later this year.

Cheers, will let ya’s know how I get on.

2 Likes

ARMA is pretty amazing in 4K. I went from a 1080p 42” tv to that Samsung and it was awesome.

2 Likes

OK … Argos are sold out, good price though … I’m liking this idea

1 Like

Looking on Amazon UK just now … this model, right?

1 Like

Mine is the RU, may be some differences not sure.

2 Likes

Thanks Gunny, can anyone confirm or deny this model is as good as Gunny’s RU model? fingers on the “buy now” button just now, but something in back of my minds is saying caution … I want to get his right for my needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

K, done some quick research, seems its just a newer Samsung naming convention, both models will be fine for what I do in Flight Sim … 55" is big… but I thought back in the day my first 19" proper monitor was big over the usual old tiny horrible lumpy screens I used to use … before I know it, 55" 4K will soon seem like the new norm :slight_smile:

Won my UK bid for a Buttkicker Gamer 2 as well in last hour … the future is looking good for B12’s simulation future :slight_smile:

Thanks all.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Seems like they are basically the same. I’d get which ever is cheaper.

2 Likes

Thanks Gunny, you have been very helpful in this thread in making me choose, looking fwd to trying this monitor out in all my sims soon once my new FS desk is completed in next week or so, yay … I’m a very happy B12 just now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats the one.

1 Like

RU TU is region of sale. They are made to very slightly different specs. It wasn’t possible to find the older model

2 Likes

I have the TU7100 and am absolutely happy except for one thing. I have to use our oldTV in the study for flight sim. When my wife is out or a special event like Hollo Point I get to use the new one in the lounge which is absolutely awesome

2 Likes

Hey @B12 , when you get that new big screen you might have trouble finding a place to put your TrackIR camera depending on how close you’re sitting. When I got my 60" I found that I could mount the camera on a piece of wood and strap it to the back of my chair at the perfect height. Works great! You just have to reverse some axis’ in the TrackIR software.

2 Likes

Thanks Elby

Actually with a broken neck now bolted together, now have little head movement, Track IR however is more scalable/tuneable than VR for me, so do still use TIR on occasions.

Thanks, will bear this in mind when setting things up.

Can you elaborate please. I have mine on top of my laptop which I need to keep between the TV and me. Mounted behind me would be an improvement. Do you reverse the LEDs so they point to the back of your head?

Exactly. I’ve velcroed my TrackClip to the top of my headset with the clip pointing backwards.

If you can find a way to mount your camera behind your head at about the same level as the TrackClip you’re good to go. You just go into the TrackIR software and check the Invert box for the Pitch, Roll, X and Z axis.

For my situation, I just cut a strip of wood 56cm long and 6cm wide with a 5cm groove down the middle of one end for the camera’s cord, slotted it in there and velcroed it to the wood. Then I used an old belt and some Velcro to attach it to the back of my office chair.

2 Likes
© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ