VR News

What’s missing…and probably for a long while is force feedback from your device being stopped by an object in VR world.

Begun the VR war has.

5 Likes

So… you have to check a box to allow non-OR sources. I guess I’m missing the cause for the drama to which Tim Sweeney is eluding.

Sounds awfully similar to “add a non-steam game.”

People are still trying to reconcile what Facebook purchasing Oculus really means. It might mean nothing other than a big backer encouraging some early tech or it might mean a drift to more a walled garden approach, so he’s being extra spiky about it, in fear of what might come. The comparison is like when you see ‘Sent on my iPad’ in emails, as that’s just a simple setting to turn off that a lot of non-tech people don’t seem to be able to manage. It’s no problem now, as it’s all early adopters, so it’s more about intent and messaging for further down the line, i.e. people see what they want to see too.

People think of the OR and Palmer and his kickstarter being a plucky hardware start-up, but that’s not really how it is after a $2 billion acquisition. They aren’t selling a headset, they are selling an ecosystem, with a shop and a platform. Just like Valve.

The NDA on the Rift specs finally expired yesterday as the first units got delivered, and people are treating any news, either good or bad, like ‘Reasons #12511 I was right’. It’s going to be really high-intensity/low-information on VR news for a few weeks until it settles down I reckon.

2 Likes

When Facebook launches Facebook VR Site, we’ll know.

1 Like

My bet is that it’ll initially be some sort of ‘in-VR’ voice/video avatar chat and social hub, that’ll use your existing Facebook id etc.

Much like Google, Facebook is essentially an advertising company. I sort of struggle to see how adverts will work in VR, or rather struggle to see why I would want to see them. I guess a real-world analogy, like being in Time’s Square and seeing billboards but individually targeted at each person.

Perhaps the world’s first unblockable ‘non-OR Source app’ tickbox disable will be with be the world’s first ‘VR ad blocker’ app… :grin:

Well I really do not know how this will all pan out? But its going to be interesting.

My OR CV1 is due to ship in June and on track it seems and the guys that got orders in first have been told they are shipped or are being shipped around about now … I guess we’ll be reading some first hand unbiased reporter type feedback quite soon, for sure we’ll see “OMGZ, its amazing” fanboy stuff comments on the net, but most of us know how to filter that out and read between the lines … the mere fact we have competition guarantee’s we’ll see fanboy comments being protective of their hard earned purchase’s but competition is also very good … Having said that, really really looking fwd to my CV1 delivery now, wish it had an option to not have sound with their headset as I’m a very very fussy sound fidelity user and have invested in good soundcards and Headphone/Headsets too … But I’m happy to give theirs a go.

Bring it on, the sooner the better, cant wait to try my CV1 in DCSand more :slight_smile:

Bring it ON

Nice Social Camera mode on Job Simulator - cool ideas in here:

1 Like

Oculus Service Runs In Background Without Notification; Connects To Facebook Servers. [Imgur album][1]
This is rather concerning. Upon completing the installation of the Oculus Rift, a background service with full permissions (OVRServer_x64.exe) begins to run. It continues to run even if you close Oculus Home (Oculus’ required client software) and any VR applications. It gives no visible indication (no icon in notification tray, etc) of it running and automatically starts upon booting your PC. Inspection with monitoring tools has shown the process constantly communicating with Facebook servers.
[1]: https://imgur.com/a/sX9Es

The guy running the peeps through VR, at the beginning, was the guy I talked to when I tested the Vive

1 Like

I was expecting something completely different with this article.

Man, I love these. It’s like an autopsy for black plastic.

Woot! UPS made an exciting delivery at the Rix homestead today!

Unfortunately I’m on the road for work, so it will be a couple of days before I can try it. DCS World will never be the same again!

3 Likes

Nice, congrats!:grinning:

Yay! Nice, and congrats.