VR News

Dang…I’m gonna have to buy me one of these soon…

I spent much of last night getting my new PC and Rift bundle set up. Today I experienced DCS World in VR for the first time. It’s pretty amazing.

I can tell you it’s something special when my wife, who never showed the slightest bit of interest in my sims over the past 18 years, spent more than 20 minutes flying an A10C through the Caucasus Mountain valley’s this morning.

I haven’t done much air to ground work with it yet. I suspect it will present some extra challenges due to display resolution, but I don’t think I could go back to flying with a flat screen and TrackIR after today’s experience with the Rift. .

3 Likes

Dude…I cannot wait to give this a try. I’m so jealous…

1 Like

I’m guessing it was one of those Half Life crabs chasing her…

1 Like
1 Like

Immersive (according to them) Dassault Aviation RIFT app…

New VR headsett by Acer and Starbreeze

And to complete to vomit inducing tendency…

1 Like

Now this looks awesome.

I see a cable management problem…

Yeah, yeah, yeah-- but until they make a showcase of the Star Wars trench run all of this VR babble is for nothing! PUAH!
(sarcasm aplenty, but still… where’s our trench run!?)

PS: also some 3D render of any attack run from Flight of the Intruder.
Or a B17 mission…

So this is a thing apparently. A backpack for a PC so you can have cordless VR.

http://vr.msi.com/index_VR_products_VR-One.html

For the Vive, where the lighthouse stations only need a power supply and not a connection back to the PC this would actually work.

My first reaction was a bit of ‘hmm nope’ chuckle, but then this is a true comparison with the way tech is going so rapidly:

1 Like

If I had a VR set…I’d want to check this out…

I have a really stupid question. Do all VR games necessarily have to be first person? Like…are you always playing a set of eyeballs? Or is there an application where third person VR is actually something? I feel stupid that I can’t figure that question out on my own…LOL…

Mostly, but some do play around with other views. Oculus comes with Luckey’s Tale, a sort of Mario VR:

DOTA 2 viewer on the Vive side also has a 3rd person view that is neat.

The biggest issue for VR is that walking around using a thumbstick to move is the easiest way to make most people barf. Things like Doom / Fallout etc are unfortunately not something convertible to VR without doing some sort of ‘blink’ instant movement. The Labs shows the sort of thing (you point and launch where you want to go), i.e. ‘Room Scale’ VR is actually usually just a 5ft by 5ft experience for most. The immersion comes from standing up and interacting with your hands and maybe a step or two. It fools the brain pretty well.

My kid would absolutely love that game…

Yeah…never thought about the whole rooms scale thing really. I could see how it’d be easily to have a huge disconnect if you were walking somewhere and the distance wasn’t 1:1…or maybe our brain would adapt to it (?). Or some sort of combo of leaning forward to walk…simulated walking…I dunno. I can’t wait to get scared and then barf. LOL…