VR News

Loved watching my 6yo daughter trying to catch the aircraft, in that demo! :smile:

1 Like

“Some clever sod has made a working PSVR driver for Windows, with a Steam VR layer.”

2 Likes

6 Likes

Sooo, now that the year is ending and 2017 is near, I was thinking some more about getting a new PC (or at least a new GFX card, a 1070 most likely) and with it some sort of VR device.

So with that in mind I’d ask y’all VR users: Is there a consensus after some months of using which VR device (Rift, Vive, Sony-thing) is the best for

• DCS World
  • X-plane
  • whatever stuff is sold on Steam and such.

Or is there something JUST behind the horizon that is worth waiting for? I don’t mind one or two months since I don’t have much time to play at the moment anyway (family stuff and my increasing addiction to building and painting small plastic figures).

EDIT:
Also I wonder:

• will I get violently sick?
  • will it be worth it?
  • will it be funny?

I haven’t tried the Vive, but I own the Rift CV1.
If you’re just going to use it for sitting down simulation games, I don’t see why you would spend more money on the Vive to get the handcontrollers.
I just got the Oculus Touch controllers for my Rift, and the tech is very cool, but not practical for flightsims because; 1. No flightsim support them yet. 2. You have to pick up and let go of the controller to grip your HOTAS. Still, fun to play with in other games. If you can do without hand controllers, buy the Rift, and buy controllers later, like I did, if you want. Maybe mine will be sold soon…? :wink:

I don’t know of any VR HMD that is just around the bend, and that will rival the Rift or Vive.

I don’t get sick in VR. Practising spins in aerofly made my head spin for a while though :wink: I never get sick while flying real life aerobatics either… And if you should get sick, most people get over it after a while.

The Rift was totally worth it for me!
I had a 34" Curved 21:9 3440x1440 Samsung LCD screen, that cost more than the Rift did, and was very cool. After I got the Rift, I sold the screen…

VR is great fun! So much fun that I can’t go back to 2D flightsimming again. I don’t play with my non VR sims anymore…

That’s the biggest problem with VR, it’s hard to go back to 2D.

3 Likes

Rift without touch controllers is probably the most economical and ergonomic choice at the moment. Room-scale VR is almost a different category to sit-down, and some people have a huge passion for it, so the existing advice of if you able to get a demo somewhere then do it - for people that want Room-scale, the Vive tracking is still the best tech (plus the Vive wand’s v2 will be out soon enough).

Probably not, there are some new OEM devices with Microsoft making a push but they seem lower fidelity/lower cost, when for sims it would be nice to get greater resolution/FOV and not less.

I do get VR sick sometimes, so it happens. I ceremonially dumped my TrackIR and its poor old clip in the trash the day I got VR at home, but sometimes I can’t be bothered to sit with a ski-mask on my head and have fished it out. Flying in VR is exactly 426% better than 2D though, it’s just sometimes the extra 326% isn’t worth it if I’m lazy.

Worth is complicated. Plato is a good start, with Philebus, or even G. E. Moore if you have the time. :wink:

Will it be funny. Yes. The first time you get a presence with your presents it’ll be fun.

Only other thing is that once you have VR, you’ll want to upgrade GPU. Running it oversampled (with a higher res than it can display) is still the best brute force way to get better cockpit clarifty, but then you need the framerate as well, hence $$$ on the graphics card.

2 Likes

Plus the added value of my family having loads of fun with me getting violently sick. All that money my wife doesn’t have to spend for comedy movies because she can just watch me sitting in my room, getting surprised by the cat, looking silly, acting like there was a plaane around me, and occasionally vomiting!

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Anecdotal, but I’ve never once gotten sick from any of the flight-sims with VR and I’m rarely hitting the FPS that VR supposedly needs to prevent that. I used to get airsick when I first started flying though and I just persevered until went away. I bet the same kind of thing works with VR for most people.

Same experience here, both in real life flying a glider and when I first got my Track IR. Just powered through using a bit of Ginger ale and homemade ginger tea. It helped. :slight_smile:

LOL…how long has it been snowing in Oculus Home? And I like the Christmas decorations…

2 Likes

This looks interesting. I wonder if it actually works to combat VR sickness…maybe tricking your body into feeling you are taking steps and syncing with your brain?

Well the Vive arrived today, one little problem though, no where to mount the base stations :joy: don’t think the wife would appreciate me mounting them to the living room walls either, well she always does complain she wants some shelves on the walls, they just might be 6 1/2 ’ up the wall :stuck_out_tongue:

small problem, i sorta complained a good deal at the wife when she wanted to hang those things up in the living room for other purposes, plus i don’t have any on hand tonight :smiley:

1 Like

the cost to run such a thing: the soul of your first born bound to your gaming desktop.

Skeptical towards that one. We’ll see how the press likes them first

1 Like

Done. Where’s my rig?