VR News 2023

Quick question - Since I’ve never, but want to, do VR headsets accommodate folks who wear glasses?

Yes, there are multiple outfits selling clip-on presctiption lenses that you put into your headset. So I don’t wear glasses in my headset, but when I wear it, I see as clear as I do when wearing them.

2 Likes

Also some VR goggles have enough room to accommodate glasses with small frame.

But the more comfortable option are the clips-ons that Schurem already mentioned. I am currently using this brand:

1 Like

Me too!

Edit. But then I went and had a look at https://somniumspace.com/

We’ll see…

2 Likes

Ooof, yeah that site… not that much confidence-inspiring.

3 Likes

I get it…but I believe Somnium Space is just a company that deals in Selling VR Space?? [I know Super Weird…I can’t wrap my head around it :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl:Pun]

But the real news is VRgineers they are making the actual headset…and they have a very nice trk record in VR

1 Like

does anyone have 11,000 USD I can have Pretty Please, I can chip in the 500 muself LOL!! WOW that XTAL cost 11,500 USD but it does look Marvelous…

1 Like

Yeah… Looks like it’s going to be an awesome headset too. But then I go to the somniumspace site…? Like you, I don’t get it.
I get Oculus/Facebook vibes again…

2 Likes

You can save Thousands by just getting The Virtual Reality Model for $8.900.00 :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

“Yeah… Looks like it’s going to be an awesome headset too. But then I go to the somniumspace site…? Like you, I don’t get it.
I get Oculus/Facebook vibes again…”

@ 11:18 of the above video he states…" No login account,No Meta account etc…" so we shall see?? More info coming next Quarter of this yr;

I was thinking more along the lines that it is in fact associated with….

So I’ll remain sceptic until proven otherwise… :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a trade-off and easier to safeguard when you know what they are after. For what it’s worth, I don’t see Meta as any more intrusive than any other hardware/software company you signup with. And the hardware is superb. Oculus/Meta gets a lot of hate from FB critics, but lets not throw out the baby with the bath water. They are on the leading edge in the consumer VR hardware and software space. Pick up a Reverb G2, which doesn’t function with an RTX 3090Ti BTW, and its associated software next to a Quest 2, and you will immediately feel differences in the quality of the materials, durability, and software stability. I gave my kids a Quest 2 for 6 months, before acquiring back, and it looked and operated more or less like new, once I cleaned the lenses and charged the batteries. Anyone who has had them will tell you that nine year-olds are some of the most brutal beings that you can hand hardware to. They are masters of destruction.

Ja ja, this is coming from a Quest Pro owner. If you ever have a chance to try one, you will see VR the way it should be. Once it is adjusted, you can look around the cockpit with your eyeballs instead of your head. It is amazing. I need to do a mini review.

7 Likes

Yea…I’m hoping the Headset is a entirely separate venture from the other aspects of Somnium business which I like you have no interest in.

2 Likes

There’s no denying that! Owning and using the Rift and Rift S was a very pleasant customer experience.

Duh! :wink:

2 Likes

:eyes: :eyes:
Hmmmmm…Interesting

Somnium Space VR1 Update
Not sure when they updated their website page? But this has been added…

" “Due to supply chain constraints and more complex than expected negotiations with key suppliers, Somnium Space has decided to focus its efforts fully on a PCVR headset for its first release and postpone release of a standalone version. Somnium continues R&D for a standalone version of VR1 headset and will bring more information after official release of PCVR version in 2023” Artur Sychov adds.

This is most likely good news for us Flight Sim Enthusiast’s Who really don’t need all the other Bells and Whistles of a Stand Alone Version

7 Likes

Not sure if this is supposed to be just WMR (yuk!) or VR as a whole and for some reason WMR was put in the title, too - maybe cos the two are considered different somehow (VR and MR - though the reality says something different).

Innyhoo, I’ve been very excited to notice new rumblings about Deckard being worked on and Valve still going for a successor to Index. I really hope so - I don’t want to stay with FB/Meta what the heck else they want to call themselves. I’m sure the Quest 3 will be a good headset - at least from a performance point of view, we’ll wait and see on the comfort, but I would prefer not to have one. That’s a big part of why I got the Pico4.
I’d be happy to pay the same as I did for Index if Valve were to come up with a nice shiny new headset. £1,000 is doable - more and it would depend on how much more and how much better the headset was than what I already have. Here’s hoping it ain’t too long… though I’m happy enough with my current headsets for now - my Index is starting to creak.

1 Like

Just to put a fly in your oatmeal, because my dislike of WMR has to be more vehement than yours of Meta, did you know Sir Johnny, that while you cannot purchase Project Cars 2 from the Steam store anymore, you can happily buy it all day long from the Meta store? :joy: :rofl: :joy:

And because you and a few others won’t let PCars 2 die a dignified death, that I fired it up for the first time in probably a year last night and had a rip roaring 2 hours getting reacquainted with that glorious interface and cockpit overlays, tearing up Le Mans, as well as its very creditable version of the Long Beach street circuit. Quite the opposite of rFactor2, which is all business. Thank you.

2 Likes

You read this?

It is indeed good news that Valve is still working on stand alone VR.

2 Likes

Yes - that was one of the articles I was referring to, though all the fan sites seem to have picked up on it.

@chipwich I am very pleased to have assisted. I actually have PCars 2 on both platforms, but only have the Oculus (as it was when I bought the game) version installed and last drove it not that long ago. IIRC the Meta one is the GOTY version and includes the DLC, but I’m pretty sure the Steam one I have installed isn’t.
Maybe I’m confusing them with PCars (1) which I also have on both.

For a long time following VR’s introduction to mainstream (if you can call it such) I bought all games on both platforms if it was possible, just to support VR. I suppose there was a bit of “if one folds the other will probably still be around” type of thought process, but nevertheless, I like to think I was doing my bit for VR :slight_smile:

2 Likes