What we are driving

Another was a VK Commodore. Some of my European friends may recognise it as a rebadged Opel Insignia?

But I bet the Opel never had what this had under the hood :slight_smile:

This car was totally bonkers, nearly 400HP at the rear wheels - small block Chev V8 converted to run on LPG (to cope with the 12:1 compression), Turbo 400 trans with a stage 3 shift kit, Ford 9" diff with a Detroit locker centre and 4.11 gears.

I wish I could upload the vid of it idling… sounds like a top fueller :grinning:

Edit: Video uploaded to Youtube for your listening pleasure. Play it LOUD!

5 Likes

there is only one Australian car that I would go for … :laughing:

probably showing my age a bit… but this is a monster

6 Likes

@tempusmurphy Ahh, the last of the V8 interceptors… At least that one looks like it has a real supercharger :wink:

If you like the Ford XB coupe (but I’m pretty sure that photo is a XC), you should check out this doco (Jeremy Clarkson’s comments are priceless):

I think they used ford falcons as the “normal” police cars they looked damn good as well

1 Like

Leave my car alone. That one is mine :wink:

And this one

My Vauxhall monaro had “last of the V8 interceptors” written on the rear plate

4 Likes

They were anything but normal. Im ever so slightly obsessed with mad max

2 Likes

As a Kid I loved the V8 interceptor… and almost cried when it got totalled in MM2 …
mad max GIF

2 Likes

also is the ford falcon a similar model to the english ford cortina … but the cortina just lost all the style and horsepower

3 Likes

Not a million miles apart but much much more basic. Sporty ones actually had better suspension and chassis though funnily enough due to rally and saloon racing.
No whopping great v8 muscle though

1 Like

My favourite movie car ever. Glorious.

1 Like

if they had made Mad max in england the interceptor would have been the either 2.6 or 3.0l capri
another car i loved from many years ago

5 Likes

Mk3 capri 3.0S is absolute perfection. I love them.

2 Likes

Hello, greetings to all. I know that the beasts that you see here are on another level, but I want to contribute my little toy for the most difficult routes on the island.

11 Likes

That is seriously cool @nikit. Love it! Big fan of short overhangs.

2 Likes

While with the kids at Universal Studios Florida, I spotted this little monster, looking like a Honey badger waiting to bight any unsuspecting American or German muscle car that surrounded it.

6 Likes

My mum had a mexico replica just like that @chipwich. I was distraught when it went for scrap :cry:

1 Like

Oh no. Say it ain’t so!

On lost cars, this will warm your heart. It did mine.

5 Likes

Bigger and ‘chunkier’ than the Cortina. The same model as the orange one in your photo was available in Oz with a 250ci straight six. With a bit of sheet metal work on the guards and firewall it was possible to shoehorn a 302 Windsor V8 under the hood :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Mk1 was always my favourite, but I would own any model in a heartbeat - Anyone else remember ‘The Professionals’ with Bodie and Doyle?

2 Likes

My god …that size engine never made it over here in a cortina… I think it was only the Granada, and capri ever had the big engines