What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

Not to mention, she seems like she’d genuinely be a lot of fun to just hang out and grab a few drinks with:

I once told a young lass I was courting, that I was taking her to a “chick flick” for a date night…to show my more gentle and compassionate side.

The name of the film was Tears of the Sun

…well the title sounded chick flick-like…and at least I enjoyed the movie…I don’t think she was still there when the lights came up…strange.

Two of my roommates at the time were aboard Truman when they were filming that one. I believe they both got photos with Bruce Willis.

I don’t often take a lady on a movie date, unless we’ve been dating for a while. Unless it also involved me cooking dinner for her beforehand.

Heh, just found Ice Pilots on NZ Netflix. This is hilarious! Talk about added drama. Still, pretty fun to watch and interesting flying for sure. Can’t believe they still operate those planes.

Wowza- I just discovered Fail Safe (1964).
Will watch it tonight!

Farenheit 11/9. Scared the ■■■■ (pee) out of me.

I was already afraid to watch that one.

It was remade as a TV movie in 2000 and shown live. From the cast it looks like it would have been pretty good show.

Wheels

Whoa- totally checking that, afterwards!

Stick with Fahrenheit 451. A classic.

A classic! Loved the book…

RED FLAG - the Ultimate Game

Watched it last night. I wasn’t expecting much but it turned out to be a pretty decent TV movie.

Wheels

Another one for the nostalgia crowd. Robert Conrad and Red West in:

Hard Knox (1984)

Wheels

So the family and I are working our way through the Harry Potter series. Am I the only one in the world that does not really like these movies? I don’t get it. I mean, I liked the Lord of the Rings movies…but Harry Potter movies are just…painful…

Have you read the books?

We were reading a bit of them each night last year to my son (all three of us huddled in bed together) and I thought the books were much better. What appears on screen doesn’t match (in terms of quality) with what I expected from the books. Nana or someone bought the DVD set and the family thought it a good idea to watch them even though we weren’t even through the first book yet. I hate that I agreed to that…

My family may be the only one on planet earth that has yet to read the books or see the films.

Yeah, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m under no impression they’re all that good, but they were never truly bad, and it was a nostalgic institution growing up. The core cast is about my age, and we all sort of grew up together. It was just taken for granted we would get to see what Radcliffe, Watson and Grint were up to every year or two.

That might have a lot to do with it…growing up WITH the characters and waiting for each subsequent movie with anticipation. The instant gratification of having them all ready right now might somewhat diminish some of the anticipation. I might be having trouble suspending my disbelief with regards to the cornering speed of the Nimbus 2000 broomstick…

It absolutely does. The series was originally conceived as a coping mechanism by Rowling in the wake of her mother’s death, and the ultimate moral of the story is accepting that death is an inevitable part of life. What made it an institution with people my age is we grew up with it, and every book was aimed towards us as we aged.

The initial three are essentially world building, but done so with a childish tone and aimed towards children. The next three establish stakes and force the reader to re-evaluate the absolute paradigms of the first three by introducing ambiguity to the major characters. All three main characters act like teenagers for good and bad, the adults make mistakes and do things that are not flattering, and Harry gets straight up PTSD as a result of some the terribly horrific things he has witnessed and been forced to experience. The final book is straight up Young Adult fiction, and tackles learning to accept bad things happen and to move on as best you can.

I maintain the whole Voldemort situation could have been easily resolved with a single .338 Lapua bullet courtesy of a Accuracy International Arctic Warfare if Kingsley Shacklebolt had just informed the damned PM.