Where You Are Photos


#4311

6.5 miles of mud bogging yesterday…


#4312

Back home after 3 months of travelling… no time to get over the jet lag though: Eva has learned to crawl and the whole place has to be baby-proofed.

Started by building a railing between the upper and lower decks to stop her from falling to her death…


#4313

Oh…baby proofing. I remember those days. Pads on the corners off all the edgy things (why did we buy all glass tables when were were young and dating??). And I can’t tell you how many times I almost lost a finger when those darn drawer lock things kept me from opening drawers. And pantry locks. And pool monitor (two!). And door chimes. Our son grew up in San Quentin.


#4314

Don’t forget the electrical outlet covers/plugs.


#4315

A penny or screwdriver and an electrical outlet will teach them about electricity and you won’t need to keep replacing those outlet plugs.

Wheels


#4316

Ha. When I was 5, I stuck a fingernail file in a 220V outlet at my grandparents’ house that was powering an old air conditioner while they ate TV dinners on little folding tables. In my grandmother’s words, there was a bang and a flash, the power went out, and you came staggering out from behind the sofa crying with a black hand. I guess since there was a slot the same size as the file, it seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

You are correct in assuming that I didn’t do it again :smile: They never fixed the wall and it was still black when I would visit them in later years.


#4317

I guess in these days of modern cars where keys are a thing of the past kids don’t get the idea to put a key into the socket like the good ol’ days :slight_smile:


#4318

Yup did a tour around the house putting these things in…


#4319

It’s like children are trying to get themselves killed at times.
I also installed outlet covers everywhere when my daughter was born. I know why.

…yes I also put a metal object into an outlet as kid. Just because it fit. Nothing severe happened. My hand was… numb and hurting at the same time. Man I was scared but I knew enough to wait a bit and not tell my parents. It got better.

…not something I would recommend to do though.


#4320

Those electrical socket protectors are great. However, the person who invents something to keep a kid from sticking their tongue on a metal flagpole on a freezing cold winter day…they will make a fortune!


#4321

I arguably did more stupid things. For example I once used a 3mm² copper wire I found in the basement to build a makeshift heating element by stripping it and winding it up into a coil. I was smart enough to use one of these extension cords with an on/off switch to power it, but stupid enough to test it in my bedroom.

I unplugged the extension cord, inserted the ends of my device from hell into one of its outlets (it wouldn’t sit firm but I didn’t care), plugged it in and turned it on. The coil started glowing immediately, sparks were coming out of the contacts of the cord and scared little Me pulled out the plug and the glowing coil dropped to the wooden floor and left some nasty burn marks as well as black scorch marks on the outlet of the extension cord.

I also had two little transformers for my electric trainset which put out 16V AC (can’t remember the power rating but you could create beautiful sparks with them) that I used and abused when I was alone. I remember I tried to power something by connecting one to the mains and then the 16V outlets of the transformers. The only thing I remember is that I burned some resistors (probably something like 100 Ohm, 0.25W resistors). A lot of times I tripped the RCD. I guess I was careful enough not to touch any of my creations while they were running and there might have been an element of luck involved. But yes, 10-12 year old me was really stupid.


#4322

It’s a wonder you are alive… I was clever enough to use 1.2V batteries :wink:


#4323

I knew it was dangerous, just not how dangerous. Luckily I stopped experimenting with 240V electricity when I discovered that you could build little rockets from sparklers and matches and that batteries where enough to ignite the rocket motors.

Edit: To be clear, during this experimental phase I was careful enough to stay away from my experiments while they were plugged in and I have never been shocked but yeah, if you’re a parent - don’t let your kid play alone with electricity, even when it’s just a model train set.


#4324

I did, but 12VAC isn’t that dangerous with Marklin trains!


#4325

Oh, but I was very crafty when it came to making things spark and go bang. You don’t need a lot of power to set something on fire, even simple batteries will do the job. Plus I had two 240V -> 16V transformers and I did experiment with them. I remember that I took one of them apart at some point and played around with it - that can be very dangerous.


#4326

You were a bit mad as a kid eh?


#4327

Let’s just say I had a bit of a ‘mad scientist phase’ when I was around 10-12 y/o. I played with electricity, I build rockets, I took apart children’s fireworks that you can buy as a 12y/o and made bigger fireworks with the contents.

It was good fun as long as I had no idea how dangerous it was.


#4328

New Bern, NC and the temp was so high today that the seagull size mosquitoes are out!


#4329

I also grabbed a mains once when I was like ten or so. Ne er did me any harm. When my first came, I didn’t baby proof Jack schnitt. Just told him sternly and repeatedly NO, that is not ok to play with little dude! It worked. Works for my daughter too. And by the time they go “mad scientist” well I’ll facilitate them. Go on, learn, experiment, find out. Play dangerous. They ain’t made out of sugar.


#4330

Yeah no need to overdo it, but… it depends I guess. Sometimes kids have really stupid ideas and you might be distracted for just a moment.