Where You Are Photos

I’ve done it many times. A piece of wire and carb cleaner to clean the jets works well. It’s getting to the to middle carbs that takes time. None of this is difficult. Just having the time do it. I should be ashamed of myself for mentioning it. I just know as soon as I get the bike on the stand, either one of the kids and the Mrs. will need something :smile:

1 Like

Would the Mrs not find you extremely attractive looking all fast and flashy on a motorcycle going up and down the street? And surely the kids would want the rides too, all the time?! :wink:

Besides, teach them how to clean the carbs and they’ll do it for free :crazy_face:

Just a shout out to @guod - keep your head down there in Houston brother. Looks like a wicked storm wobbles your way. Surprised they didn’t send us to move patients actually…

2 Likes

Very good points TAS. I did bribe them to clean my Husky one day :smile:

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s going to be a rough one. I feel like I’m dodging a bullet living in Austin. I’m sure we will get plenty of rain, but nothing like what they are predicting for South of Houston.

1 Like

Thanks. We’re all set here. Far enough away from the ocean to not be concerned about wind. The subdivision hasn’t flooded in 35 years so hopefully it’ll be 36 years. :slight_smile:

Folks over in the NASA area of the southeast and Galveston… well hopefully they’re already outbound.

If someone wants to see what happens when people don’t move out, check the 2008 hurricane Ike photos of the Boliver Peninsula. Several of those who stayed behind were swept out to sea. Gruesome.

The single biggest concern is rain just parking over an area and not moving past. I got caught in the 1976 Texas Medical Center flood and it made for some good stories.

4 Likes

Yikes. Stay safe!

Looks like a tight rotation there…pretty ugly if you are near that eyewall…

IMG_5810

It’s currently clear in Dallas. Here’s hoping for those poor guys on the coast.

@wxbot @near_blind TAF raw report: KCRP 252322Z 2600/2624 36040G65KT 4SM RA VCTS OVC020CB FM260300 36055G75KT 3SM RA VCTS OVC020CB FM260900 32040G60KT 1SM RA VCTS OVC020CB FM261200 20045G60KT 1SM RA VCTS OVC020CB FM261800 28030G45KT 4SM RA VCTS OVC020CB AMD NOT SKED.

What was is thinking? The thought of having to put that heap of unmaintainable crap back together is killing me right now.

2 Likes

Set it on fire, double the satisfaction, half the mess!

2 Likes

Don’t tempt me, the inner race isn’t coming out. At least now i know that it wasn’t me not noticing that the dampers were shot. Found some water between the bearings and discoloration of the shaft under the inner race, so the shaft seal is clearly leaking.

1 Like

5 Likes

WD-40, a hammer and a dowel of sorts should help sort that out. Otherwise the good ol’ heat treatment usually gets em too.

Not saying that you should lite up the whole thing but you know… it’s an option… right?

1 Like

Yeah thought of that too, but i couldn’t get the shaft seal out either (i literally broke a screwdriver on the damn thing) and heating that up would have been messy. I was literally minutes away from throwing that darned thing on the trash.

In the end, some silicone spray and liberal amounts of ye good olde brute force (sparks and all) got the job done. I have the tub reassembled and the drum runs silky smooth now, before you could feel that a bearing was going bad when you turned the drum. I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow and see if all the seals are tight again. Wouldn’t surprise me if that darned thing sprang a leak after I’ve put everything back together.

As bad as the rest of the machine is for serviceability (you can’t get the front panel off, at all), the bearings are surprisingly accessible, you just have to wedge the backplate past the small panels on either side one side at a time, then drum will come right out.

Yeah but I’m a sucker for hating to throw away a machine in perfectly working condition that just needs spares for 20 bucks. That sort of thing irks the tree-hugging idealist inside me.

1 Like

I get that but I always have to ask my self… how much in time and labor have I put in lol

2 Likes

If the bearings hold another 20 years, i call 1 day of work a steal.

Got a second hand mainstand for my motorcycle, last paint layer on it and got a new spring. Easy installation too, although it does reside in the maintenance checklist due to dirt, water and grime cummilating on it/in it.

1 Like

Checking in once again with @guod and our other Texas Gulf Coast friends…how’s things going? It looks really bad with the flooding…

3 Likes