Winter Olympics 2018

Russian mixed doubles curler tested positive. Lol.

2 Likes

When curlers are using PEDs, that would suggest wide spread use, no?

Wait, what? Even Curlers??? REALLY??? :open_mouth:

exactly which physical attributes could drugs enhance for curling … sweeping abiity … if so our cleaners at work need some of that :grin:

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Holy crap!
Germany won the Ice Hockey semifinal against Canada!

4 Likes

Congrats Aginor. Obviously, that’s a huge upset. I haven’t had time to watch this game yet, but the little bit that I’ve seen Germany play, they’ve looked really good. I suppose that the NHL absence has hurt Canada as well.

The USA/Canada women’s match was really exciting yesterday. I am biased towards USA obviously, but that game was so close, neither team should feel disappointed by their play. From my neophyte view, it appeared that USA had slightly better sticks, but Canada had the edge in team play and perhaps goal tending. Much was made of the USA goalie, but Canada’s was brilliant in the first OT under an onslaught of shots from team USA. That was an amazing performance.

3 Likes

That shoot out… that fake out she pulled could break ankles…

2 Likes

Yeah, the NBC announcer said something like, “My God, that would be unstoppable anywhere!” Frankly, that was damn good hockey all the way around. I could not believe how hard they were skating in the later portions of the match. Every minute was exciting.

Looking forward to watching the Germany/Canada replay.

The absence of the NHL stars certainly hurt Canada, but to be fair: our greatest star Draisaitl for example is also playing NHL.

Still: Canada is the clearly better team in almost every conceivable regard. But motivation can be something huge. The underdogs have nothing to lose. Beating Sweden (also a way better team) was already the best result in German olympic Ice Hockey since 1976. Beating Canada is something you can only dream about on most days.
In fact beating Canada, Sweden or Russia is about as likely as the Cleveland Browns reaching a Super Bowl.
My colleague watched the game (big Ice Hockey fan, he took the day off) and almost got a heart attack. Mind blowing.

Good one. Ha!

1 Like

Congratulations to Germany, forgot the game was on :slight_smile:

Go win against ‘Not Russia’ (Olympians of Russia Who Promise To Be Good And Not Dope?) now, as I certainly think a lot of people are rooting for you.

That was a good game. I only caught the overtime, but by then it looked like the US Women seemed to have more energy and drive and were deserving winners in the end. The shootouts were great.

2 Likes

When a guy from your hometown curling club moves on to the gold medal round, you suddenly are very confident with your stars and stripes blanket overalls wardrobe decision.

4 Likes

That was the best hockey match I’ve ever seen from the German team. The speed on that bigger rink was exceptional. Also really nice goals. In the last period they got a little lucky and understandingly tried to concentrate on not loosing instead of continuing playing on par with the best.

1 Like

Holy crap they even fought well against Russia!
Forcing the Russians into overtime is quite a feat.